How did you get back in shape after baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pregnant with #2. I walked a LOT after the birth of my dd and went to weight watchers. I did well and was prepregnancy after a few months but I never got back into the shape I wanted.

My plan is to this time let myself chill for the first 3 months cuz so much weight falls off with nursing anyway. But then to do something 'big' like join a rowing club or start swimming (I'd need to take classes to learn how to do laps). I've even considered finding some money somewhere to hire a personal trainer. I'd do this for sure but am unsure it really works.

So would love to know what worked for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 01:35 AM

Well--initially the nursing did help--but your body likes to keep on those extra lbs while nursing--and I nursed for 3 yrs--so I didn't really drop all the weight (plus some) until after that--and then I did some hard core soccer!

However, this time, I know I will drop lbs just because I will be chasing after my 4 yr old also! She has kept me in check during the pregnancy also.
Most of my friends had better 'luck' with weight their 2nd pg than they did with the first.
So...bottom line...I'm not planning anything--just gonna watch what I eat, portion control, and keep active in daily life!
#3 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
all I did before was breastfeed

dont have any additional plans beyond that this time, if all goes similarly (and it seems to be)
#4 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 09:00 PM

With DS, he wouldn't sleep unless I was walking about with him in a sling or pouch OR nursing. So I spent a LOT of time walking around campus (was in grad school) that was on the side of a mountain. So lots of ups and downs and nursing. Needless to say, I learned to nurse him while I was sleeping quickly! It still look me almost a year to get to my pre-PG weight and I gained about 60 lbs with him.

With this one, my metabolism is lower and I have a desk job, so it will take a lot more planning and dedication to get back into shape. I'm not too worried about the weight per se, DH is always commenting that I'm too thin, but I like to be in good cardio-vascular shape. So no dieting, but lots of exercise.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#5 of 15 Old 10-23-2006, 12:48 AM

Pilates! I'm not a fan of running/jogging/bycicling or hard workouts. Pilates is easy on the body and works on alot of areas where pregnancy has pretty much wrecked!

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#6 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 05:02 AM

I nursed, all of my extra weight was gone by the time dd was 9 months old. Actually, I even lost extra weight then, and started worrying that something was wrong with me but luckily I just needed to slow down and relax a little bit.
#7 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 AM

I have never had a baby so i don't know much about this subject but as soon as my baby is born I am going to be back in the gym, on a low carb high protein diet, and running on the treadmill... doing weights daily.. taking alot of supplements.. LOL

since i am not breastfeeding of course..

since i am currently weighing in at 160, i gained 35lbs so far.. =/
#8 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 05:29 AM

Breast feeding definately helped a lot and then my sister convinced me to train for an ultra marathon which we ran in June. Now this time i want to stay active through out pregnancy and hope to keep up running and walking as much as possible. The first trimester is taking its toll in terms of energy but i am still walking with dd in the stroller and did a 5km fun run on Saturday.
#9 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstam View Post
I have never had a baby so i don't know much about this subject but as soon as my baby is born I am going to be back in the gym, on a low carb high protein diet, and running on the treadmill... doing weights daily.. taking alot of supplements.. LOL

since i am currently weighing in at 160, i gained 35lbs so far.. =/
Do you know that a low carb high protein diet will make you really tired? You'll already be exhausted from the lack of sleep so a diet and an intense workout might be dangerous. I believe you are supposed to wait 6 weeks until you start any intense exercise.

Breastfeeding burns lots of calories in those first few weeks while you cannot work out. I'm curious why you phrased your statement like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstam View Post
Comments like that along with a few other posts I've seen of yours have me wondering if you are just here to troll.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#10 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 01:28 PM

Everyone I have ever known who has said that "as soon" as the baby arrived they'd be launching into a big workout routine to lose the weight was in for a rude awakening when the baby arrived. It's just not that easy, and the hormonal changes alone in the first few weeks are enough to keep most new moms home for the most part.

I'm wondering too about the "of course" in terms of not breastfeeding. Knowing how inferior formula is to breastmilk, and knowing that breastfeeding really does *ping* your stretched out uterous back into shape, and knowing the cost of formula.... I have to ask why? The only moms I've ever known who formula fed did so after giving breastfeeding a try, and those moms did their best to ensure that their babies got at least a couple of weeks of immune-boosting breastmilk... what's the story there?
#11 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 PM

I gained about 70 lbs with my ds, ten of which came off in the hospital. For some reason my body hung onto every single extra pound until i stopped breastfeeding. After my son was weaned, i began walking cuz i was extremely out of shape, at that point i was about 220. the walking got me down to 200, and then i just started eating better. Since i was working again we could afford healthier food, and i finally had more energy to cook. I also started doing slim in six, and tae bo. I did them either during nap time, or at night after ds went to bed. I got down to my pre preg weight about two years after ds was born. I am preg again, and this time my only goal is to not gain 70 lbs. Afterwards, i know if i can loose that much weight 35 lbs should be a peice of cake. (or maybe just a few less peices of cake ) I am just not going to stress about it. Eventually i'll get tired of being overweight, and i'll buck down and loose it. I'm also hoping having a three year old boy running around will help.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#12 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Breastfeeding IS superior!! That said, as I know that is off subject, I believe breastfeeding really helped me, that and housework, I did yoga, mommy and me and at times when I could leave ds with dh, this really helped with the toning and stretching and relaxing. It didn't come off right away, it took about a year, but it really boosted when ds became mobile and I was chasing after him and other toddlers that I would watch in my home. So I guess my answer is "life", life helped me get back into shape.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#13 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM

I plan to NURSE!!!!
I also will eat a high-water, high-fiber most plant/fruit based diet...although I do remember being SOOOOO hungry the first year of nursing and I am afraid that I'll be eating massive volumes to get full.
I also plan on doing LOTS of walking and a couple of step aerobic classes a week..maybe throw in a Bikram Yoga class here and there for good measure.
It is also my experience that my body likes to hold onto the last 7 lbs while I am being the primary source of nutrition for a little nursey monkey.
#14 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 05:48 PM

I walk and do sit-ups...

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#15 of 15 Old 10-24-2006, 06:04 PM

I am pregnant with #5 and my experience is that the best way to get back into shape after the baby is not to get in 'bad' shape during pregnancy. Eat well, cut out sugar and other empty calories and continue to exercise. This way you won't gain much weight and you'll have less to lose after the baby is born. I was in great shape with #1 and #3, muscular and fit and didn't gain too much and got into shape very fast afterwards. This time as we were trying I was doing my best work work out regularly and accomplish my targe weight before getting pregnant.
Don't use pregnancy as carte blanch to eat whatever you want and not work out and you'll be fine. My gym won't take babies before 3 months (fine with me) so I'll start working out a little at home and then be back in the gym 3 months PP as baby will allow.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page