Boosting energy while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-21-2006, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there a safe way to boost my energy. I'm about 15/16 weeks. My tummy is still a mess and I'm not eating well. I'm not sleeping well either, and I'm exhausted. I'm thinking of starting a Motherwell exercise/yoga class but was wondering if there were any other suggestions for boosting my energy. I have three children (7, 5, 3) and the middle one is homeschooled, and I'm having trouble getting my act together.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think you just need more naps. I'm sorry you're feeling so awful. Is it beyond morning sickness that you're feeling? as in have you lost more than 8% of your bodyweight? If so, you may need medication to help you.

Hopefully, you're just ilke a lot of women who come out of morning sickness & fatigue at 16 weeks.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I wake up between 8:30 and 9, and try to nap in the afternoon, but have to pick my oldest up at school at 3, which makes it hard. I do try to strongarm my hubby into picking him up when I can, LOL! I have a good reserve on the body weight thing. It's mostly nausea and gagging. Thanks for answering!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 AM

I can honestly say that one of the best things to increase my energy has been turnip greens.
I'm sure other greens would work (collards etc)

I have had 2 occasions where I thought I just couldn't go on with it all because I was SOOO tired--body and mind were BOTH tired...no other way to explain it. I ate turnip greens and cornbread for 2 meals (lunch and dinner) and I swear the next day I was re-energized!
It is my new diet plan--have greens at least 2x a week!

I know greens have lots of iron and vit K...and lots of other good stuff

I make it by buying the frozen bags, just covering with water--throw in a couple slices of bacon--bring to boiling--boil for 3-5 min, then turn down to low and let simmer for like 30 min...you could then just leave them hot on the stove for a while until you're ready to eat. I usually eat my fill, then put the whole pot in the fridge--then take them out when I wanna eat again, and reboil...
I usually eat them with Jiffy cornbread muffins and butter...yum!
#5 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Aside from my first trimester, and now these last few weeks...i think i've managed to keep my energy up fairly well.
With me, it's just a matter of eating right and making sure i'm getting all my vitamines. I also exercise every morning with a prental workout DVD of some sort. I think more than anything just the discipline of getting up in the morning and doing that has gotten me off to a good start.

One thing I do, is drink lots of water with cut up organic lemons in it. I think that has naturally boosted my energy a lot and I also eat small little healthy snacks in between meals.

But simply cutting out the excess sugar helps so much. I definitly treat myself!! but for the most part i'm very disciplined on about 80-90% of what I eat.

Something I make for myself every other morning is Peggy O'Mara's BabyNog
1 cup of milk
1 raw egg (organic, free range, etc.)
1 tbs of yeast flakes
1 tbs of honey
1 tsp. of black strap mollasess.

Blend it all together and pour it into a chilled glass.
#6 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 01:01 PM

You can safely take liquid chlorophyll supplements. Or you might try searching for a homeopathic remedy.
#7 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Try Juice Plus. The greens always give me GREAT energy (in fact, I can tell when I haven't taken them!). Also, on top of the yoga class, silly as it sounds, exercise more. Go for a brisk walk every day. I know it's hard and there isn't time...but the more you exercise the better you'll feel and the harder you'll sleep, so the more well rested you'll become.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#8 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 02:19 PM

ITA with the PP. The more you exercise, the more energy you have. It can turn into a vicious cycle - you feel too tired to walk, so you rest - and then you feel even more tired the next day. Believe me, I know this from painful personal experience. You may want to start with just 10 minutes a day. Slowly work up to 15 mins and then a max of about 30 mins a day. More exercise *will* give you more energy and stamina!

And I really like the greens idea! (and cornbread, too! Yummmmm) I've also heard that lots of folks make up a smoothie with raw greens in it. Mix up a "regular" smoothie with fruit, yogurt, etc, but then put in a handful of greens and whip it up. You won't even taste it, although it may turn your smoothie an unusual color... What about bumping up your protein? More beans, or a protein powder in a smoothie?

HTH!
#9 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 03:52 PM

Iron! I was anemic. Also, high protein, walking, and not forgetting fish oil or prenatals helped me.
#10 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all! I'm going to try to up my iron intake and I'm signing up for an exercise class. My midwife actually suggested smoothies, so maybe I'll try. It just doesn't sound good to me, but nothing does right now so I may as well try. The Babynog intrigues me. Stupid question, but the raw egg is OK when pregnant?

#11 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Thanks, all! I'm going to try to up my iron intake and I'm signing up for an exercise class. My midwife actually suggested smoothies, so maybe I'll try. It just doesn't sound good to me, but nothing does right now so I may as well try. The Babynog intrigues me. Stupid question, but the raw egg is OK when pregnant?
it's not a supid question!!! I know it's on the list of "don't" for pregnancy eating...but since i have an opportunity to buy my eggs fresh from an organic farm, and I can see that the chickens they come from are clearly very healthy I have confidence that we'll be ok. You can always make the "nog" without the raw egg, and the other ingredients are still very beneficial. The yeast flakes are packed with vitamine B, and the molasses is packed with iron.
#12 of 15 Old 10-22-2006, 05:48 PM

I would be concerned about raw eggs, too - especially since most of us don't see the birds they come out of! I'm jealous, evenstarlight! Someday we'll have chickens in our backyard!

I have seen pastuerized eggs at our local grocery store. I know the quality isn't as good as the yummy organics, but it might be an even trade if the smoothie helps get you over this hump. There's still lots of A and B vites packed into that yolk.
#13 of 15 Old 10-23-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07 View Post
You can safely take liquid chlorophyll supplements. Or you might try searching for a homeopathic remedy.
I found that taking cholorophyll at night, when I am really tired, is a great way to boost my energy for the next day. I also have to be really good about protein. My breakfast HAS to include protein, even if it is just peanut butter toast or a breakfast drink that is high in protein. And I have to have a rest in the afternoon. My DD is starting to not nap and on the days she won't sleep, she has quiet time in her room so I can lay down. Or, she watches a TV show or two. I am just a moody, crabby unpleasent mama if I don't get to lay down for half an hour or so.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#14 of 15 Old 10-23-2006, 01:46 PM

I too 2nd IRON RICH FOODS!

* add blackstrap molasses to oatmeal or your choice of milk or non-dairy
* I've been eating alot of Dates, apricots and green leafy veggies!
* Also drinking herbal tea w/Nettles really gives you vitamin & mineral power like these teas:
http://www.craftsburykids.com/index....S&Category=256

It's helped me and I've only been doing it for a week and feel the diff.

Best of luck!
#15 of 15 Old 10-23-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to print this off and run to the HFS this afternoon. Thanks, mamas-- you all rock!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page