amalgam filling--pregnant--freaking out!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I lost 1/2 a tooth a couple weeks ago and went to the dentist today to have it fixed. He wasn't sure if he could save the tooth without a root canal but after drilling out the old silver filling he found that he could save the tooth and replace the filling. Well, I am on a base in Japan and they only have two materials available for fillings: composite and amalgam. They do not do crowns on civilians working on base or their families. He decided to go with the amalgam filling--MERCURY!!!! I am totally freaking out!!! I mean there is nothing I can do about it now except freak out--UGH!!!! I researched it online and found that a lot of sites say that studies show that you don't have too high a risk from the fillings--maybe like eating 2 tuna steaks. Then other sites said to completely avoid during pregnancy. He said he would have prefered to use the composite but that it would have degraded by next week because the spot was so large--that the amalgam was all he could use to save the tooth. UGH!!!! HELP!!!!!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#2 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 PM

I would take lots of Vitamin C because it is supposed to bind to any mercury that got into your system. I would take it many times through out the day. In the book Persciptions for Nutritional Healing which I totally recommend getting they have other suggestions like Vit. e, kyolic garlic caps., etc.
Was the filling they took out a mercury one?
#3 of 9 Old 10-25-2006, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

the dentist said it was an old silver one--I don't know if it had mercury in it as well!! I really need to stop researching this online--it is just freaking me out even more. . .I mean there isn't really anything I can do about it after the fact. I will try the vitamin C--all I have are some emergenC packs--will that work?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#4 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 12:01 AM

Ascorbic acid is the best form to take, but to be honest I would take what ever you had for now. If you were exposed to mercury there is a lot you can do for your baby later on. Such as not immunizing until they are older, get all the toxins out of your houses, etc etc. There is two good books one called " Why David Hated Tuesdays" and What your Dr. May not tell you about immunizations. All these things will help alleviate extra build up of toxins. I am familiar with all this because my son had heavy metal toxicity. A very common side effect is food allergies which can cause behavior and health problem. I do not want to stress you out, what is done is done. But want to give you info. on what you can do about it if it is an issue. If you wanted to persue it there is Dr.'s who are well versed in heavy metal exposures who maybe able to help.
#5 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it! My DH when I told him kind of flipped out on me which really made me feel worse about what happened It probably doesn't help that he teaches children with disabilities and his main area is autism spectrum disorders--ugh! We already do not vax our children--DD had some when she was younger until I learned more about them and DS has never had a vax. We also make all our own cleaners, buy mostly whole/organic foods (when we can--this can be somewhat hard sometimes here in Japan). We live in a rented space so toxins are present in the air. We also can't afford to buy the mattress/futons we want right now. However, we do better than most when it comes to living a not too toxic lifestyle. Again, thanks for your help. . .as soon as I can find the funds I am going to try to order some sodium ascorbate online--hopefully soon!

#6 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 12:46 AM

Barbara...so sorry that happened! I have two silver fillings (mercury of course) that I am having removed next month before we TTC #3. I too learned about them recently and couldnt' believe it! I am seeing a holistic dentist that said I need them out before I get pregnant again and he takes all these precautions when removing them. Bummer you didn't have a choice of dentists. :

Look into Kelation (spelling?) therapy and Ion Cleanse Footbaths too...to remove any mercury that has gotten/is in your system. Also, when baby is born, I agree with the other mama to do what you can then (the baby will be just fine, don't stress) and then you can do more intense toxic release for yourself. Then of course get it removed when you can! Good luck to you. Your body will protect your baby! Don't worry too much b/c that won't help you or your baby!
#7 of 9 Old 10-26-2006, 10:51 AM

The others have sent good advice. I'm just sending You don't need extra worry. Be kind to yourself!
#8 of 9 Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 AM

Hi treemom2,

I hope you can see this message because it has been a long time you post here. I live in Finland and 13 weeks pregnant. last week when I went to dentist she removed old amalgram fiiling from me. She said it is safe. She was using rubber dam but after what I read from internet I am freaking out and actually having anxiety attacks about my baby's health. Can I ask you how did your journey go? Did you have any problem about that issue later on with your baby? Hope you see this message and answer me.

#9 of 9 Old 02-12-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You can help protect yourself from mercury with zinc, vitamin C, spirulina, cilantro, garlic, nuts, and mushrooms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page