Nursing pregnant mamas support thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#271 of 292 Old 06-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Breastfeeding and fertility - it's different for each woman. Some women ovulate before getting their first af, some the cycle after, and some it takes a while for their cycles to even out.

I had my first, got my cycle back 6 months postpartum, had to 40+ day cycles, got pg again ... nursed through pregnancy and tandem nursed ... got my cycle back at 12 months postpartum, had 2 40+ day cycles and got pregnant. I then got my cycle back at 10 months postpartum and went on to have many cycles before getting pg again. After giving birth *that* time, my cycles were very irregular, some annovulatory, and very long. THen, all of a sudden, I went from having 40-50 day cycles to having a 20 day cycle, then a 26 day cycle, then being pregnant.

Tandem nursing: Many moms find that most of their fears about the logistics of tandem nursing are worse than the reality of it and that things work out fairly well. My first two children were 19 months apart and my dh worked third shift. I worried about how I was going nurse both of them to sleep and tandem nurse at night. It turned out that by the time baby was born, my older nursling had cut back on his night nursing and it wasn't so much of an issue - and he became good at the "perch" position - laying ON me along my side and nursing while I was nursing his baby brother in the side-lying position. He would fall asleep this way, and when I was done nursing the baby, I'd just gently roll to the side and "deposit" A back in his spot in the bed. I found that either nursing both children propped up in bed and then sliding out from in between them worked well - or nursing baby to sleep and having him in the sling on my side (or laying him down somewhere) and then nursing my older nursling to sleep worked.

For me, thinking about the other ways I'd go about soothing my older child and the energy and time it would take convinced me that continuing to nurse through pregnancy and tandem / triandem nurse would be much easier than weaning the child!
#272 of 292 Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_nym View Post
Breastfeeding and fertility - it's different for each woman. Some women ovulate before getting their first af, some the cycle after, and some it takes a while for their cycles to even out.

I had my first, got my cycle back 6 months postpartum, had to 40+ day cycles, got pg again ... nursed through pregnancy and tandem nursed ... got my cycle back at 12 months postpartum, had 2 40+ day cycles and got pregnant. I then got my cycle back at 10 months postpartum and went on to have many cycles before getting pg again. After giving birth *that* time, my cycles were very irregular, some annovulatory, and very long. THen, all of a sudden, I went from having 40-50 day cycles to having a 20 day cycle, then a 26 day cycle, then being pregnant.

Tandem nursing: Many moms find that most of their fears about the logistics of tandem nursing are worse than the reality of it and that things work out fairly well. My first two children were 19 months apart and my dh worked third shift. I worried about how I was going nurse both of them to sleep and tandem nurse at night. It turned out that by the time baby was born, my older nursling had cut back on his night nursing and it wasn't so much of an issue - and he became good at the "perch" position - laying ON me along my side and nursing while I was nursing his baby brother in the side-lying position. He would fall asleep this way, and when I was done nursing the baby, I'd just gently roll to the side and "deposit" A back in his spot in the bed. I found that either nursing both children propped up in bed and then sliding out from in between them worked well - or nursing baby to sleep and having him in the sling on my side (or laying him down somewhere) and then nursing my older nursling to sleep worked.

For me, thinking about the other ways I'd go about soothing my older child and the energy and time it would take convinced me that continuing to nurse through pregnancy and tandem / triandem nurse would be much easier than weaning the child!
SO very true!!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#273 of 292 Old 06-28-2007, 03:45 PM

I am with you on the energy thing of trying to find other ways to soothe the older baby but for me its just that I am just soooo worn out. I have no help. I have to tend to all my kids. Dh is constantly travelling.

So being pregnant and having to night nurse has just about destroyed me....I wasn't getting up for the kids in the morning. They would wake me up and its like it was always cornflakes cuz i was too tired to make anything else plus I felt nauseous and couldn't stand to smell any kind of food let alone make eggs or spread jam. And they would sit in front of the TV until i was able to get out of bed. All the while little ds has breastfed this whole time next to me and hasn't eaten anything. He is just as cranky as I am by getting up all the time.

And like I said before the nights that I got more sleep I felt better - like the morning sickness was alot less...and to me the negatives outweighed the positive in keeping on breastfeeding at night. Plus I really think a pregnant woman needs her sleep at night and how is she going to get it if she is woken up 5-6 times by her breastfed child? and even if its half woken it makes a difference cuz I don't fall asleep right away.

anyways, i guess I am just rambling and somehow felt I have to justify my night weaning and maybe i feel a little guilty and feel sorry for ds but I think we are all much better off.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#274 of 292 Old 06-28-2007, 04:04 PM

Try not to feel guilty mama, you do what you have to do. I do feel your pain for sure. I think the last time I had a full night's sleep was over 10 years ago. LOL My kids go through a lot of what you are describing too...cereal for breakfast, pbs or movies, while I lay on the couch during a good portion of my pregnancies. I just keep telling myself it is such a short time of their lives it's not going to kill them, as long as I don't stay in the habit of that. LOL

I night weaned my older nursling, and my younger nursling pared down a bit on her own this time around. The experience is different for everyone, and we all just do the best we can. Hang in there.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#275 of 292 Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 PM

I just found out i'm pregnant with #3. My second is 10 months and has cut way back on nursing (perhaps this is why I'm pg?!) so he nurses once in the middle of the night, once after he wakes up and that's it. A few sucks here and there when I offer but not enough to get to letdown.
I have a history of miscarriage-1 very early, 1 early, 1 blighted ovum.

Should I wean now or keep going?! I know what the entire medical community will say...
#276 of 292 Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM

It is a very personal decision. I would not wean a 10 month old, but I have very very strong feelings about that. I do not believe nursing causes m/c. I think m/c happens for other reasons.

I think it is your choice, and you are the only one that knows what is right for you and your family.

#277 of 292 Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 AM

Just an update on us:
My 10 month old is back to nursing more regularly! I think it was a combo of a nursing strike, not being able to nurse where there are the least bit of distractions, and my milk supply being super low. This all started while we were on vacation and all staying in the same hotel room, so during that week, he refused to nurse unless I was in the bathtub with him with the door closed and being really quiet. I think there was just too much going on around him. He also went through a thing where he preferred DH. Anyway, I upped my dose of More Milk 2 and started eating more. I also started chugging at least 120 oz of water a day. In the past week or so, he's been nursing 4-5 times a day (all upstairs away from any noise and distractions). I'm so happy! I was really sinking into a bit of depression due to guilt about getting pregnant so soon, all because my little one wasn't wanting to nurse. I just hope we can continue like this until the baby's born. All I can think about now is how excited he's going to be to have tons of milk at his disposable once again in a few short months.
Thanks for the support, ladies!
#278 of 292 Old 07-05-2007, 12:40 PM

Yay! That is wonderful news!
I hope he continues to do so well.

#279 of 292 Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 PM

I'm just bumping this so other moms can find it!
#280 of 292 Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2libby View Post
Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you conceived your baby that you're pregnant with the first month after your period returned. I've heard conflicting things. I've read that it takes a few months for your cycles to be normal and you might not even ovulate.I've also heard that it can be hard to get pregnant while you are breastfeeding even if your period has come back. But I've also heard to act like you are fertile as soon as the period comes back. Which was it for some of you? Thanks in advance!
I got pregnant while breastfeeding. She was 28 months I think, but still nursing every couple hours around the clock. And one of the first LLL meetings I ever went to there were 3 moms there with 3-4 month old babies, all of them pregnant and really freaked out because no way were they planning it. All of them were EBF.
#281 of 292 Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 AM

Bumping this again, I wonder if we could get it made into a sticky?? Then people could find it. Lots of mamas here nursing through pregnancy.
#282 of 292 Old 08-24-2007, 11:03 AM

Hey ladies...just an update from me.

I am almost 20 weeks and my milk dried up around 12 weeks...ds is 15 months and still nursing hard eventhough I think he is dry nursing cuz I can't squeeze out a drop even if I tried very very hard.

I am experiencing pain in my breasts that I wasn't having before near my armpits and it hurts when I pull my breast out to breast feed ds....so i dunno what it is really since i never had any pain in my breasts till now...

anyways, me and ds are both hangin in there and hoping that he makes it thru the pregnancy so he can tandem with his dear sister (lol, if the ultrasound is right)

I have got alot of energy back and am starting to get the house back in order...before this I could care less and everything was out of order.

anyways, hang in there ladies I cant believe I am almost half way there!

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#283 of 292 Old 08-31-2007, 01:58 PM

bumping again!! Can we puuuuhleeeeze have this as a sticky?? Who do we need to bribe?

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#284 of 292 Old 09-01-2007, 02:20 PM

I just found out that I am pregnant again. My DD is only 10 months old and nurses every 2 hours and throughout the night. My OB suggested that I start trying to wean her. I really don't want to wean her She does self-feed some solids, but not nearly enough to not be having mama milk. Plus she loves her nursies. Help! Is my milk really going to dry up? What do I do for my DD if it does?

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#285 of 292 Old 09-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Well, I'll keep it going. I think I may have already posted but things have tanked further. I'm pretty sure my supply is almost gone. My daughter gets very frustrated when she nurses now, and my husband this afternoon noted that my breasts looked and felt very different today, even compared to yesterday. I'm 14 weeks exactly today.
#286 of 292 Old 09-01-2007, 10:25 PM

Hi! I'm almost 6 weeks and nursing my 3 year old dd. So far no issues really. My breasts are a *bit* sore and she is nursing a lot which I find a bit irritating, but so far it's nothing unmanageable.

I'm glad for this thread!
#287 of 292 Old 09-01-2007, 11:42 PM

I'm due on October 22 and have been nursing DD (2.5 yrs) through the whole pregnancy. It hasn't been all sunshine and roses, but I've done it. I know I had milk until I was five months pregnant. After that I couldn't see any on the breast or on DD's mouth after she nursed, but she swears she's getting "a yittle bit" of milk. Who knows? She has significantly reduced her nursing during my pregnancy, but I don't know if that was due to less (no) milk or her development. Good luck to all. Oh, and my OB had no problems with me continuing to nurse through my pregnancy and I have had no weight gain issues.
#288 of 292 Old 09-02-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoHHH View Post
I just found out that I am pregnant again. My DD is only 10 months old and nurses every 2 hours and throughout the night. My OB suggested that I start trying to wean her. I really don't want to wean her She does self-feed some solids, but not nearly enough to not be having mama milk. Plus she loves her nursies. Help! Is my milk really going to dry up? What do I do for my DD if it does?
i got pregnant again when my dd was only 4 months. my ob told me to wean also. i didn't. i still had milk til i she was 7 or 8 months. she is 11 months now and still nurses even though my supply is pretty much gone. it was gone completly last month. this month it seems like i am starting to get more milk though i think it is colustrum because i am like 33 weeks. its not much but she seems more satisfied with it. she doesn't cry as much at night any more or drink as much milk. oh when my supply left i had to start supplementing with whole milk. it is the only thing that she will take instead of breast milk. she won't take any type of formula. she has done pretty well with it.
so really you don't know if your milk is going to dry up or not. you don't know how long you will have milk. your dd will adapt if you do dry up. i would suggest to try formula but i think that at her age she would be able to handel whole milk but every child is different and can handel differen't things. so if you do dry up just try different things til you find something she will take instead. she will adapt. she might be fussy through it. mine wasn't really just at night, but we got through it.
you'll be ok just don't worry about it til you come to that bridge if you even do.

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#289 of 292 Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 AM

I am 4 wks 5 days and have had increasingly sensitive nipples since ovulation/conception...it is getting quite excruciating, particularly on the left side (on the right it hurts at first but goes away as I let down). This morning I decided to have a peek at my left boob after he came off. There was no saliva on it past my nipple!! I compressed my areola and re-latched him, what a difference!!

Could it be that his latch has been crap for a long time and I am just noticing now because I'm sore? Or would it have changed since I got preggo? My boobs don't seem any different except for the nipple sensitivity, I don't think anything is bigger. My left side has always been a challenge as the nipple is a little wonky (it points off centre).

Any tips for convincing a 2 year old to open his mouth wider? Begging him doesn't seem to be working... :-P
#290 of 292 Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 AM

bluepetals--Latch seemed hugely important, especially early on in nursing-while-pregnant. I would tell my daughter to open wide and say "Aahh" everytime she got on. If it started to hurt because her latch got lazy, I would have her come off and say it again. For me, after the initial latch-on the pain decreased some. My left has always hurt more also. Good luck.
#291 of 292 Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM

I have a 9mo son and I'm 8w preggo...my supply is definitely less but I'm hoping that since I had oversupply issues that will work in my favor. DS still nurses every 3 hrs and he eats some solids but certainly not enough to not BF. I really want to nurse him until he turns 1 in Dec at the very least but I am afraid I will dry up on him...I'm afraid I won't know if he isn't getting any milk anymore. How do you know? I know that sounds so stupid that I don't know that...

I am starting back at work tomorrow too which means pumping and I'm not a great pumper so I know that is certainly not going to help my supply out either...

I just want him to have the best!

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#292 of 292 Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 PM

I am 6 wks pregnant and still nursing my 17 month old daughter A LOT! She really still wants to nurse during the day probably 4 times and before every nap and at bedtime as well. She goes from 9p-3am without nursing but starts back up every hour from 3-7 or 8am. My nipples are definitely sore and I sometimes just want the sucking to end. I hope my supply doesn't nose dive b/c I don't think she could handle not having her "milkies". I am glad there are so many women on here who are pregnant and nursing! I am also surprised to see so many pregnant with very young babies. It took us about 6 months to conceive this one. Good luck to all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page