Nursing pregnant mamas support thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 292 Old 11-18-2006, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 25 weeks and nursing my 19 month old. I have no milk. Nursing really bothers me now most of the time, so she is down to just a few times a day. My goal is to keep her nursing, keep her latch so that when there IS milk, she will know just what to do. I considered totally weaning her when it was hurting a lot (at first, it was just sensitive, then fine, then actual pain) . . .but I don't want to. I am not excited about tandem nursing (scared!) but I OWE her several months of milk, so I don't want to stop. I figure, I can always stop later but if I stop now, then it will be hard or impossible to go back.

One day at a time!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#62 of 292 Old 11-18-2006, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

I jsut got the LLL book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" at my local library. It's a great book. I've been finding a lot of really interesting and helpful info in there.

My milk has not completely dried up, I can still squeeze a little out, but I can tell that there is not much. We are still nursing like 15 - 20 times a day... I should count it, its probably more than that. She's already nursed like 5 times and it's only 9:30am!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#63 of 292 Old 11-18-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
So, I have a question. Do you find that you are hungrier than previous pregnancies when you weren't nursing? I was hungry with dd, but nothing like this! I feel like if I am not eating almost constantly, I will pass out. Seriously! I get light headed and fuzzy feeling. I haven't been able to totally get the food thing right, yet, so for the past few days I have felt like crap. I'm just wondering if this is because I am nursing and pregnant.
Me too.

I was definitely not this hungry with my son.

He is nursing less now and I noticed milk production is way down. Babe's not due until June and ds has been nursing less, so I am not sure if we will be tandem nursing or not.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#64 of 292 Old 11-20-2006, 11:12 PM

It's so weird about being hungry... I found I was LESS hungry with this pregnancy (while nursing) than I was when I was pg with DS! I have gained less weight too. I do get really thirsty a lot, but my appetite has never been as ravenous as it was when I was pg the first time.

It's interesting how we are all different! I could not lose weight while nursing to save my life!
#65 of 292 Old 11-21-2006, 02:12 AM

I am so grateful to all you mamas out there who are tandem nursing and nursing toddlers. I am not alone! I was starting to think that I was being weak and giving in to my 2 1/2 year old ds needs because I've been taking a lot of negative comments from friends and family recently (except for hubby who is extremely supportive). People seem seriously disgusted by the fact that I am still nursing I am currently 7 weeks pregnant and nursing 3 x a day. I'm kind of worried that all of you are still experiencing the nipple pain further along in your pregnancies because I already have pretty intense latch on pain - ouch! I was really hoping that it would subside - ah well. I haven't noticed a drop in supply yet although ds seems to want to nurse for longer on each side than usual. Good luck to you all and wow to the lady with 8 kids!

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
#66 of 292 Old 11-21-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashersmum View Post
I'm kind of worried that all of you are still experiencing the nipple pain further along in your pregnancies because I already have pretty intense latch on pain - ouch! I was really hoping that it would subside
I found that mine has come and gone . . .on days that it is bad I just keep sessions very short. Again, my goal is just to keep DD's latch until my milk comes in-- then at least it won't be painful! I lost my milk around 5 months, and I would think, FOUR more months? (That's when it began to really hurt!) I didn't think I could do it, but now I just take it one day at a time, one session at a time. Setting big limits has really helped.

When anyone asks about nursing your other DC, don't think you need to defend it or even explain it. Just shrug and say, "We're doing what's best for us. So, anyway . . ." and change the subject.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#67 of 292 Old 11-21-2006, 02:53 PM

Ashersmum - I'm not having much nipple pain at all! I'm 29 weeks tomorrow. A lot can change, I could still get nipple pain but now that I've got colostrum I think that having something actually come out while your child is nursing helps a little bit! Sometimes it hurts right when DS latches on but subsides once he gets going - a good, deep latch helps too.
#68 of 292 Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Nursing twice a day here at 31 wks-- naptime and bedtime. I must have colostrum now since it isn't as painful, though I can only stand just a few minutes before it becomes just the most irritating sensation. She's almost 4, so I really wouldn't mind if she weaned, but at this point I don't see it happening. She's starting to pick up on the fact that some kids don't nurse anymore and someday she won't either. I don't put any pressure on this, but I will admit that I'm not sure how excited I am at the thought of tandem nursing for a long time. Sometimes I feel like the demands on my body are more than I can keep up with- and that it probably is not going to get easier after the baby is born.
#69 of 292 Old 12-29-2006, 09:42 PM

Bumping this up!

How is everyone doing? I'm 34 weeks pregnant and DS nurses 1-3 times per day, always at bedtime, and occasionally in the morning and before a nap. I am still thinking he will keep nursing until the baby is here... he is pretty busy during the day but still occasionally comes in my lap asking for "ees" I'm not having much nipple pain as long as he's latched on good.
#70 of 292 Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 PM

Hey, just saw this thread. Thanks for bumping.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and my DD (20 months) is still nursing...not so much lately, maybe 6x/day about 3 of those at night. I suffered a decrease in supply for a few weeks in 1st trimester but it came back ok...well, until these last couple of days. Seems like there's not much there lately. She usually nurses from 1-4 times at night and the last couple of nights she's been clearly unhappy with what I have been able to provide. She's not the type to nurse when there's no milk either, never been a real comfort nurser. She just stops and snuggles except at night she gets frustrated every 10 minutes when she realizes she's still a little hungry.

Nipple pain has come and gone, right now it's not too bad. I've been an eating machine too and it's getting a little OLD! I'm sick of eating! (Never thought I'd say that ) I must keep it up though or my energy level goes way down.
#71 of 292 Old 12-30-2006, 02:01 AM

I'm about 20 wks now too. Dd has pretty much night weaned since i've been pg. That is a bonus. She nurses differently when she does, sucking more frequently, but whenever I ask her if she's getting milk she says "mm hmm." Nipple pain comes and goes. some nights I ask her if she can nurse a little more gently, then she unlatches and asks to hear a lullaby instead.

I think we're at a good place. She is adjusted to less nursing, and seems to be feeling okay. (Testing limits a lot the last couple days, but I suppose that's normal for a 2 yr old!) I'm just so glad I got turned onto Adventures in Tandem Nursing. I might have tried to wean her without that support, and she definitely wasn't ready.
#72 of 292 Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM

Heyla all!

I'm 17 weeks along and dd is just shy of 21mo and nursing away! I had insane nipple pain for a few weeks, and then it cleared up...but it came back about a week ago. Someone told me that she had nipple pain mostly at the beginning/end of each trimester so hopefully this pain will let up a bit too in a few more days. That's my hope at least.

We did night wean dd when my nighttime milk supply vanished around week 8. Prior to the pregnancy DD would nurse 8-9 times each night, but only for a few minutes each time. When my night supply vanished DD would try to nurse and then, when no milk appeared, wake all the way up and begin crying/screaming for "boom boom". So DD moved over to DH's side of the family bed and he took over the nighttime parenting. DD still nurses during the day, but it's nice having the nights "off".

And about being hungry...I bounce between starving and feeling sick to my stomach, and I know my blood sugar levels are more varied this time round. With DD I felt sick off and on for a few weeks. This time I still feel sick half of any given day and I'm in the second trimester! I hope I can find the right balance of foods...DH is running out of dinner ideas!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#73 of 292 Old 12-30-2006, 04:37 PM

Hi all! I am not sure how pregnant I am, yup I am the idiot who thought that bfing was great birth control. LOL I think somewhere around 6-10weeks. Anyhoo, my supply is just about gone, but I have LMS to start with and it is INCREDABILY painful latching. But DD is only 11months and does not have any plan on stopping. My toes curl just thinking about her latching....

Sue
#74 of 292 Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm 15 weeks now and still have the terrible nipple tenderness. but it's only for the first minute or so... DD has been sick with a cold and nursing a lot more! My supply doesn't seem to be going down any further and I hope that continues!

~*~ Hannah ~*~
#75 of 292 Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm almost 18 weeks, my nipples are so sensitive - it hurts when I just think of nursing ds I've actually tried to wean a few times, but was unsuccessful, so I've given in and will continue to nurse as long as I can take it! ds is 18 months old and he has started to gently press his teeth together as he nurses - when he gets off, there are indents around my nipple. Ow.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#76 of 292 Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Ooh, I'm encouraged reading this thread! I'm 11 or 12 weeks, nursing a 9-month-old. Just started solids because I need a bit of a break but so far he's not too interested. I'm alright with that ... nice to be wanted!
#77 of 292 Old 01-03-2007, 12:30 AM

i just found out that I am about 20 weeks pregnant with my 4th and I nursed DS during my last pregnancy.I am now tandem nursing and facing the possiblity that I may be nursing three in a couple of months! I've been experiencing major hunger increases the past couple of months and I thought it was just that I was nursing two, I didn't know I was supporting three little ones.My thirst has been increasing too, thats one thing I remember from my last pregnancy.i had bottles of water all over the house, at other people's houses, and in everybody's cars just for me.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#78 of 292 Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 AM

Woah Crittersmom! : You must be so drained! I hope you're able to get your rest and eat a lot; you're a strong woman!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#79 of 292 Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 AM

Hello Ladies!!! I am so happy to have found this thread tonight! This is what I need!!! No one I know is pregnant and nursing. Most people that I have told just give this strange look like I am crazy.... how terrible!

Anyway.... I am 5 weeks pregnant and I am nursing my 20 month old son twice a day. However, while I am nursing him I am feeling more cramps or kind of tingling feeling.... is this to worry about? Does this happen to you? I do not want to stop nursing him because we both love it so much! But I am concerned that in some way it is not good for my pregnancy. Any suggestions ladies?

Thank you so much!!! Many Blessings to you!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#80 of 292 Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 PM

I'm almost 6 weeks pg and nursing my 13 month old dd. I also have a 13 yo ds and 11 yo dd (who aren't nursing )

No breast soreness whatsoever but I don't feel letdown much. My dd only nurses before bed and in the morning. I have a feeling she'll be weened by the time I have this baby, although if not that's fine. I'l miss nursing her.

Great thread!!
#81 of 292 Old 01-04-2007, 01:20 AM

Since dd has to suck harder to get any milk out, sometimes she loses suction and slips off. That is the most painful. today after I said Ow a couple times she stopped and said, "I done." I told her I'm sorry she isn't getting as much as she wants, and she said, "My mouth is bigger. Cause I grow." It was so sad, I told her it wasn't because of her, but I don't know if she understands that. I don't want to tell her it's because of the baby, but I did tell her (as I have lots of times before) that when the baby comes there will be lots of milk, enough for the baby to nurse a lot and still leave plenty for Rowan.
#82 of 292 Old 01-07-2007, 11:32 PM

Hi ladies!

I was just wondering if anyone else is getting slack from others that they should wean? My family is all over me about it and I try and try to tell them is is completely safe!! Any one going through this?

Thank you!!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#83 of 292 Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 AM

Rachel - I'm not sure about your tingly feeling... Is it in your uterus? I would call your MW and ask. My BH in the first pregnancy felt kind of tingly, likely the nursing is just stimulating your uterus a bit. It's probably harmless (it might even be beneficial to your later efforts in labor by toning it), but I would call them anyway.

I'm not sure what people will say when they find out I'm still nursing Alan. Likely our families won't know until the 3rd trimester (I have a trip to visit tentatively planned), and by then I expect that DS will probably have decreased his nursing if he hasn't weaned completely (I hope he doesn't - or at least, I say that now!). My friends tend to look to me as the breastfeeding "expert", so they will likely just ask harmless questions instead of judging. If I were you I would arm myself with lots of information and just say that your MW/DS's pediatrician ENCOURAGE it (even if they don't). That should shut most people up.

Does anyone know if it is okay to drink Mother's Milk Tea during pregnancy? I saw some at the store the other day but the box said to ask before using it during pregnancy. I'm doing what I can to keep my supply up for DS (oatmeal, lots of water, frequent nursing) and I thought the tea might be a nice addition to my regiment. I won't see my MWs for a month, and I don't want to call to ask that, KWIM?
#84 of 292 Old 01-08-2007, 11:00 AM

when u r nursing one baby and u r pg when the new baby is born will there be enough colostrum for the nb ? do you still feed both babies in those early hrs? is it ok for your older baby to get some of the colstrum or would that be taking away from what the nb should be getting?
pm me if youd' like.

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#85 of 292 Old 01-09-2007, 05:52 PM

I am 7 weeks pregnant and my 17 month old DD seems to want to nurse more in the past few weeks. I don't know if she senses a change or what. The problem is I always loved nursing her and now that I am pregnant it really hurts and I am resenting it. She screams booba all the time and is getting very demanding. I am not sure how to handle this. I guess I should have started a new thread on this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
#86 of 292 Old 01-10-2007, 12:28 AM

When I was first pg I thought I should best wean, (that's what I get for reading that stupid What to Expect book someone gave me) so I started trying to gently redirect dd or give her some food or something. She got whiny and clingy and asked to nurse much more frequently. Then fortunately someone turned me onto Adventures in Tandem Nursing. I cannot recommend this book enough for anyone on this thread who has questions! It is so reassuring, and never judgemental of any choice. And she uses research as much as possible, so I felt I could safely nurse while pg. So I started letting dd nurse on demand again, and her attitude changed back to normal. She has cut back a lot, though, because there isn't as much milk. But (I hope) she doesn't feel that I don't want to nurse her.

About the colustrum issue, according to that book, it is perfectly fine to let the older child nurse at that time. Some women prefer to give it to the nb first, and let the older one nurse after. But I don't think it's absolutely necessary to do that. You make enough for your needs, just like you would if you had twins.

My MIL appeared downright horrified when she realized I wasn't planning to wean dd. I think it was on my behalf -- she said -- "You don't want to be nursing TWO!" It was so odd, I had difficulty finding the right words. I choked out, "I don't want to wean Rowan before she's ready. . ." MIL: That's very ALTRUISTIC of you! (Nervous laughter.) It was a weird moment, but she was over it by the next time I saw her, and it's all just as normal as ever now.
#87 of 292 Old 01-10-2007, 10:31 AM

I'm new to nursing during pregnancy, but about the colostrum question earlier, I think I read at kellymom.com and the la leche league site that your colostrum is not in limited supply and it's ok for older child to have too.

like the 2 pp's, my daughter too wanted to nurse way more once I was pregnant!! My supply dipped a little bit, so I think it may have been a combination of her reacting to that and also maybe the hormones??

I still have the nipple tenderness that so many moms get, but luckily it's gotten a LOT better! Also luckily no one has made any comments about me nursing while preggo, though my dad did ask what I was going to do once the baby was born (assuming that I would wean older DD). Maybe once my belly pops I'll get more comments. Bring em on!

~*~ Hannah ~*~
#88 of 292 Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 PM

Hello Ladies ~

Thank you for all the great responses to my questions!! I love this thread!

I am going to look into that book! Sounds wonderful!!

#89 of 292 Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 PM

Okay, subbing and I have to read this, b/c I feel like my supply is lowering. Will it continue to do so, or is it something that just happens slightly at the beginnign? It just doesn't let down as easily, but in truth it sorta seemed like it was doing that at night even before I got pregnant (i.e. he would nurse again, and instead of triggering more milk, he's just give up b/c he wouldnt' get any more for a couple of hours.).

And it definitely hurts more, at first I thought he was biting down more, til I remembered. ouch.
#90 of 292 Old 01-16-2007, 06:35 PM

I am still abit early in my pregnancy, 3 1/2 weeks, and nursing my 10 month old son, I havent really noticed anything other than filling up quicker, and a harder let down. I am hopin that as the pregnancy gets farther along, they dont hurt worse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page