Nursing pregnant mamas support thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 292 Old 01-29-2007, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 12 wks with #4. This was quite a surprise and I was really worried. My first quit nursing around this point, he was only 19m. Z just turned 17m and he seems alot more attatched to nursing than #1 was. I'm not looking forward to tandem nursing, but I think I'll have to since the baby is due a couple weeks before Z turns 2. He'll still be too young to wean! My second baby weaned at 26m and I see a huge difference in the immunity of #1 and #2, so I learned my lesson big time :

Full Time Mom to 3 boys and 1 girl.
: : :
#122 of 292 Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaturMama View Post
Has there ever been a discussion of starting a sub-forum for nursing while pregnant? This is a huge thing on my mind now and there are so many topics I wonder about--keeping up milk supply, sore nipple issues, how nursing positions will change as I get more pregnant, maternity/nursing clothing, nutrition needs, dealing with people's comments. I'm sure there's more. Plus it is just nice to have community on this. I look at this 5 and now 6 page thread and just feel overwhelmed. Anyone else?
i totally agree with you bc i have a lot of those same concerns esp the nutrition part right now.

i am taking my pre-natals pills but bc i am so darn naseous i cant eat much which isnt helping me feel any better. and i'm sure its affecting all 3 of us.

i would love nutrition tips
#123 of 292 Old 01-29-2007, 09:16 PM

Still nursing at 16 weeks preg,. & DD almost 9 months Some nipple soreness, my supply has been down a bit this last month (went from no solids to 2, then 3 meals, plus I offer water & formula at meals - not that she drinks much, but I feel better offering.) She still swallows a lot right at 1st, but switches from side to side a lot, which drives me nuts, since it's the latch on that's ouchy. Nurses every 3 hours though, & 2-3 times at night. Isn't growing a lot, but I don't know if it's a supply issue, or just a stage for her; she seems plump enough, makes a satisfactory number of dipes, & is real lively.

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#124 of 292 Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 AM

I feel SOOO guilty, but also really selfish...

I'm still nursing Jonathan (17mo), but after , I have been actively trying to wean him at night... he was still nursing 2-3 times! DH and I are trying to go out of town for Valentine's day and we haven't done anything like that ALONE since Jonathan was born. I do want to keep nursing him and am open to tandem nursing when the new one comes along... but this night time thing... and leaving him alone for the first time... is anyone else feeling my pain?

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
#125 of 292 Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 PM

Yes, I feel your pain. My son is just about 19months and will be over two when #3 is born. While I'm not in favor of harshly weaning him, the idea of tandem nursing doesn't sound too appealing to me right now. He's been so on and off half the night, it has been tough.

And I'm pretty sure that his on and off stuff has to do with less supply on my part. I was checking out the traditional medicinals mother's milk tea with fennel in it and whatever else. But it gives the standard warning of not taking this in pregnancy. I read those warnings so often they have become essentially meaningless to me. Does anyone have a firm, professional lowdown on whether or not these fenugreek teas are safe or not? Google's kinda all over on this one, and I don't see my midwife til next week.
#126 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

I night weaned dd earlier in my pg. I just couldn't handle it anymore, she was keeping me up all night long and nursing 10-20 times during the day. Now that we've night weaned, the day time nursings have reduced dramatically. To the point where I think we will be completely weaned by the time dc is born. I wasn't planning on weaning completely. And I'm totally open to reestablishing our nursing relationship. It just seems like at the moment, she's not really interested. When she does latch on, she's stays attached for maybe two minutes and shrugs her shoulders and says "all gone". So I'm assuming I don't have anything left in there. We'll see what happens when my milk comes back in.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#127 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 AM

I too, thought I'd never get this far nursing DD who is 22 Months! But she's night weaned herslef, THANKFULLY! She can finally take a nap/or go to bed without nursing! I thought I'd NEVER get her too! But it's been all on her own! She still nurses a couple times a day but for only a few mins.

I have to say the pain was awful for me around 14 weeks...It's still painfull but I think I've learned to put up with it! I'm due soon I'm 35 weeks now... so hopfully DD will cope! I'm looking forward to nursing a babe with no teeth
#128 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
Yes, I feel your pain. My son is just about 19months and will be over two when #3 is born. While I'm not in favor of harshly weaning him, the idea of tandem nursing doesn't sound too appealing to me right now. He's been so on and off half the night, it has been tough.

And I'm pretty sure that his on and off stuff has to do with less supply on my part. I was checking out the traditional medicinals mother's milk tea with fennel in it and whatever else. But it gives the standard warning of not taking this in pregnancy. I read those warnings so often they have become essentially meaningless to me. Does anyone have a firm, professional lowdown on whether or not these fenugreek teas are safe or not? Google's kinda all over on this one, and I don't see my midwife til next week.
**I wouldn't take Fennel or Fenugreek during preg. , ack DD is awake! Check out my siggy- a tea for you, Tandem Sorry to run!
#129 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 AM

I was out of town for a while, but dd is still nursing strong at almost 15 months and I'm 19.5 weeks pregnant now No pain thus far (at least nothing that even comes close to the thrush we had for five months - little twinges are nothing compared to that) and though I really don't have much milk, dd still loves to nurse and nurses to sleep. She has a sippy cup now to make up for the liquid she's not getting from my milk, but it hasn't really diminished her nursing much at all.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#130 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 05:46 PM

I have no one to vent to because everyone just tells me to wean! So I have to pretend like its always the most wonderful thing in the world at every minute of every day. Dd is waking up so much at night that I am terrified that I won't be able to keep up with 2 night nursers. And it hurts really, really bad when she latches on so I can't sleep. My supply seems to be doing okay, but the pain from the latch and the fact that she is up so much at night are wearing me down. I don't want to wean her...neither of us is really ready for that. Anyone night weaned a very high needs baby who is very determined that she will nurse no matter what when she wakes up at night? We tried to just comfort her last night and no one got any sleep until I finally caved in 3 hours later and nursed her. This is nuts!
#131 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 06:04 PM

Aw, that's tough. For many mothers the latch pain does lessen a bit further into the pregnancy (2nd trimester).

Night weaning a determined little one can be more work in the beginning than just nursing her. The best suggestion I have is to try to comfort her before she is distraught and to have somebody other than you do it. Perhaps this way you can begin to reduce her night waking and nursing. It really takes looking at the big picture and not the individual nights.

And September is a ways off, these little ones will go through so many changes before they are big sisters and brothers.

Sorry if you were just venting and didn't want suggestions but I hope you get that much needed sleep.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#132 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 PM

I'm about 4 wks-ish. pregnant and still nursing my 15 mo. old DS. I am excited to find you all.

What extra supplements are you all taking? My mw told me to take my prenatals + 1000mg of calcium and 500mg of magnesium at night (because ds only nurses at night now...but that is all night).
#133 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 09:58 PM

oh gosh I don't know, should I be taking more supplements? I guess I shoulda called my midwife, but I can't get in to her til I'm like 14 weeks or something. I researched prenatals a little, but that's all I take, in addition to some prenatal DHA from Nordic Naturals. I'm a little afraid to mess with other supplements.

Now I'm curious to hear what other supps others might be taking.
#134 of 292 Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestrymom View Post
I have no one to vent to because everyone just tells me to wean! So I have to pretend like its always the most wonderful thing in the world at every minute of every day. Dd is waking up so much at night that I am terrified that I won't be able to keep up with 2 night nursers. And it hurts really, really bad when she latches on so I can't sleep. My supply seems to be doing okay, but the pain from the latch and the fact that she is up so much at night are wearing me down. I don't want to wean her...neither of us is really ready for that. Anyone night weaned a very high needs baby who is very determined that she will nurse no matter what when she wakes up at night? We tried to just comfort her last night and no one got any sleep until I finally caved in 3 hours later and nursed her. This is nuts!

Ahh mama! Sending you LOVE! I , too was in the SAME boat! I was crying, it hurt soooo bad and driving me nuts that DD wanted to nurse non-stop all night! I too had to give in and let her nurse, it was awful! I can only say that it will get better, we are living proof I wish there was something I could say that worked, but as my preg. went further, she did nurse less......
Hang in there, I know how tough it is.

Blessings!
#135 of 292 Old 02-09-2007, 04:18 PM

just bumping up to see how people are doing.

#136 of 292 Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM

Hi Everyone!

So glad to find you! I am 8 weeks pregnant nursing my ds, 28 mos! We only nurse at bedtime, once or so in the night and when we wake up. Although we have been nursing at naptime again. (It's just easier and then I just fall asleep for a few minutes, too ).

Definite nipple soreness and I brace myself when he latches on. Sometimes when he wakes me in the night I tell him my "chi-chi's" hurt and usually he goes back to sleep. Sometimes he cries for a few minutes then goes back to sleep.

I am just playing it by ear. If it stays painful I could see the nursings getting more infrequent at my encouragement or I could see us lasting through!

Only time will tell.
#137 of 292 Old 02-09-2007, 09:26 PM

I am 30 weeks along right now. I nursed my dd through my last pregnancy and was tandem nursing them both when this pregnancy occured. DD weaned a few months into my pregnancy when she was about three years, three month. She did have some gentle pressuation from me, mostly in the form of distraction, asking her to wait etc. then one day she just suddenly and miraciously started doing two things: falling asleep without nursing and sleeping through the night without nursing. I woh so she was mostly just nursing when I first came home and I started using a timer, which she responded too surpirsingly well. And ok, I'll admit, I started bribing her with hersheys kisses.

Anyway, I alwyas thought they would wean togather as ds2 never seemed attached to it, I mean, he was all business, drink for a few minutes then get back to whatever else he was doing. DD was the one who would nurse for hours literally, but once she weaned, he seemed to become more attached to it. Anyway, he has nursed these last four or so months with no milk coming out. He will crawl into bed with a sippy cup and alternate nursing and sippy cup.

Well, last night I heard him swallwoing and when he pulled off he grabbed a burp towel and wiped his mouth, so I grabbed a nipple and squeezed and I got MILK!! Yeah, ok, it didnt really look like milk, more like cloudy water, but there was liquid there!!!

Just had to share with people who would understand. Just like dd when I was pg. with him, ds2 has been ill more and been constipated since my milk dried up. Im very happy to have it back, even if just a small amount (after a few swallows, he told me "gone, gone!")

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#138 of 292 Old 02-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Anglyn, Congrats on the milk! That is exciting news.

Those of you who have nipple pain, when did you start to feel it? I am just curious.

DS has added his nap nursing in again almost everyday. So it is all night and sometimes at nap time.
#139 of 292 Old 02-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiemamma View Post
I feel SOOO guilty, but also really selfish...

I'm still nursing Jonathan (17mo), but after , I have been actively trying to wean him at night... he was still nursing 2-3 times! DH and I are trying to go out of town for Valentine's day and we haven't done anything like that ALONE since Jonathan was born. I do want to keep nursing him and am open to tandem nursing when the new one comes along... but this night time thing... and leaving him alone for the first time... is anyone else feeling my pain?

Well, Sunday night Jonathan developed pink-eye and when we took him into the dr. on Monday, we discovered that he also had an ear infection, so they put him on antibiotics. He was really fussy , and I felt so bad because he was sick that I abandoned my night-weaning efforts. By Thursday, he had developed an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and has had a raging fever : until just last night. So the weaning thing is totally out the window and so is our romantic vacation. We're planning on taking him with us, so it will be a family vacation. Oh well. He won't be our "baby" baby for much longer, so we'll just enjoy him for as long as we can.

Good news is, with all the comfort nursing he's been doing, I have a FULL supply back! My boobs feel nice and firm again! :

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
#140 of 292 Old 02-10-2007, 09:25 PM

That's interesting. Rowan pretty much night-weaned herself when the milk supply dropped. I think it got to be so much work to get any milk out that she doesn't want to do it when she's sleepy. We started giving her a glass of soymilk right before bed every night, to help make sure she's full enough to get through the night. I don't think any amount of nursing would bring my supply back up to normal at this point.

She still nurses 3-5 times/day. I have mixed feelings about it when I am sore. Some days I've had to make her stop before she was ready. It comes and goes, I can't find any pattern. But, it's really nice when I want to take a nap, usually I get in bed and even if she doesn't want to she will finally come in with me, just for the chance to nurse! I think when she is fully weaned she might never sleep, how scary is that?
#141 of 292 Old 03-05-2007, 11:43 AM

It's gotten quiet on this thread. Bumping it up.

I just read through the first 7 pages with interest because I just found out last week that I am pregnant (early on, maybe 4 weeks?) and my 2 year old daughter still gets most of her nutrition from my breasts. I think my supply is dropping, because she wants to nurse ALL the time now and seems unsatisfied. She changes sides a lot and says, "More!"

I haven't decided what I am going to do. I don't think I will tandem nurse because my husband would be appalled. I know it's my decision but I don't think it matters that much to me that I would risk the marital dischord.

I will probably nurse through much of the pregnancy, though. I guess I am hoping that with this supply drop that she may self-wean, because I am not into forced traumatic weaning of my babe.

I had some wicked latch-on pain a while back, but I am pretty sure it was before I conceived? I figured it was because of jagged teeth but maybe I will find out I was actually pregnant already.

Anyway, just glad to see this thread. And curious how everyone else's partners felt about the nursing/pregnant issue.
#142 of 292 Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think you might need to educate you dh on the benefits of nursing. My dh was sort of weird about the idea of me tandeming earlier on in my pregnancy. And we were both pretty sure that dd was weaning for a while there. We even went a couple of weeks without nursing at all. Then she got really sick and she asked to nurse, so I let her. Now my colostrum has come in and she is nursing all the time again. I actually had gotten used to the idea of only nursing one baby when the new one came along. But it looks like dd has other plans. DH was talking to one of his friends last night on the phone whose wife just had a second baby. Their ds is 2 1/2 and he asked if his dw was nursing both babies. He said there was a deafening silence on the other end of the phone before his friend finally answered that his wife had weaned the older one at 12 months. Then my dh went on to talk about all of the benefits of nursing into toddlerhood and how he is planning on trying to be the best support for me during the early stages of figuring out how to nurse two at a time. It was really sweet.

There was a point in my pregnancy, where I was feeling so touched out and really did not want my dd nursing anymore. I'm glad we've re-established our nusing relationship now, though. Even if she is driving me a little insane at times.

#143 of 292 Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM

I am so glad to find this thread!! I just found out I was pregnant 2 weeks ago and my supply is almost nonexistnet. My nursling is 8 1/2 months old and I am concerned. She is starting to show signs of mild dehydration (not enough wet diapers), so I have been nursing as much as my sore boobs will allow, hoping she gets what little is there, as well as pushing her water bottle and we started offering formula after she was done with the breast the other day. But she won't drink much of it. I am starting to get rather worried about her. Please give me ideas to help her drink something. And is my supply gone for the duration of the pregnancy or will it come back later on? I plan on nursing her whether there is milk or not, and plan on tnademing once the baby comes.

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#144 of 292 Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 AM

I'm 17wks now with an 18m old. He only nurses about 1 time in the night. I've offered, but he's such a busy body. If he does come over, he takes one suck then slides off, gives a big cheesy grin and runs off to play. I'm worried about his future health. I don't even know if I have milk anymore cause when he would nurse during the day and come off I no longer saw milk on me like before. I'm glad that it hasn't affected his behaviour or moods, but I feel so guilty for getting pg way ahead of schedule specifically because I did not want him to stop before 2. I also feel very hypocritcal because I'm just not forcing myself to pump. I'm blaming it on not feeling good enough, but it's just not an excuse! Also, I wouldn't like to tandem nurse, so I'm not hoping he gets re-interested after the baby. Of course if he does I will definately do it because it'd be best for him.

I think DH is just so used to the whole world of Bfing. I've been doing it almost w/out pause for 6 years now. We've always known about tandem nursing, and I assumed I would have to do it with the first two. But the same thing happened, ds1 self weaned at 19m, during my second trimester. I'm sure if I had he would have asked how I know the newborn is getting enough. But now I think he just considers me an old pro, beyond even questioning

Full Time Mom to 3 boys and 1 girl.
: : :
#145 of 292 Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 AM

My dh has been totally leaving the bfeeding stuff to me. He supports whatever I do in that arena. MIL was different, she was pretty freaked out but got used to it very fast. Please, KCmommy, get Adventures in Tandem Nursing and if you can't get your dh to read it, read it yourself and tell him about it. I certainly wouldn't presume to know what is best for your family, but it seems like it's worth letting your decision be informed by some research and perspective. The author is not judgmental at all.
#146 of 292 Old 03-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Hey guys, I'm posting this here, because I really didn't get many responses in the bf forums. I'm hoping someone here has even experienced this & can share. Going on day 3 of soreness:

(original post)--->

DD, now 29 months, is still nursing (though dramatically cut down since perhaps 20 weeks - she still nurses 2, 3, 4x per day, 1x night, 30seconds - 3 minute sessions), I am 25 weeks pregnant.

Suddenly today, my breasts HURT. I thought at first it was because she hadn't nursed all day, that maybe I was having some engorgement issues(?), though frankly, I don't think there's much, if ANYTHING left in either breast (DD insists there is, but I can't even hand express a drop), but after she nursed both sides, they still ached - like bruised aching. More on one side than the other.

What's strange is that during naptime nursing session I felt what was almost like a let down sensation. Strange because I haven't felt a let down in perhaps a year.

Is it possible that colostrum is coming in, and that would cause pain? I did try hand expressing right after nursing, and didn't get anything - just hurt.

The pain isn't really pinpointed, my breasts aren't warmer to the touch than usual, don't look unusual.

I've never had so much as a chapped nipple, and bf has always been relatively easy & pain free. Aside from irritation/slight pain on initial latch since I've been pregnant, which goes away quickly, I've had no experience with pain while nursing. I'm at a loss, and concerned.

Can someone shed some light?

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#147 of 292 Old 03-06-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I definitely felt the aching throbbing pain that you are talking about, but I think it was earlier than 25 weeks. Now I'm 31 weeks and it's still sort of painful to latch on for the first few mins and then it gradually gets more comfortable. I noticed that my colostrum came in a couple of weeks ago, so that very well could be what you are experiencing. Though, Im not feeling any sort of let down sensation. I think it's just all the wacky hormonal stuff going on.

#148 of 292 Old 03-10-2007, 08:45 PM

Wow, this thread gets buried quickly!

I am hitting my second trimester, have only been nursing 1 for a few weeks. It was touch and go for a while but my 4yo dd seems done. Actually my 20 month old has really cut back to 3 regular times and only a couple random times a day. All this reduction in nursing, I am just far enough along in the pregnancy to have more energy, the sun is shining, I think I have turned a corner.

I guess no real news, thanks for reading. :

#149 of 292 Old 03-10-2007, 09:05 PM

I am breastfeeding my 7 month old. He gets yogurt and a small bottle of goat's milk each day as well - because I wanted to increase the fat in his diet (my kids are very slow gainers - he's around 13.5 lbs). He's starting to be interested in solids, but not to the point of using solids as fuel sorce. I'm also about 8 weeks pregnant. And lately he's been fussing and I need to give him more goat milk to satisfy him. I really don't want to wean him, but I'm concern my milk supply is dropping. Any mama's who have been in a similar situation and successfully kept their baby nursing? I really don't want to feed formula, and didn't feel bad about a little fresh goat milk because I was counting that as a supplement. But I don't want him to drink predominantly goat milk. Any advice would be appreciated.

It seems like if I can keep in on the breast, he can stimulate new let downs, but he doesn't always want to put forth the effort. TIA
#150 of 292 Old 03-10-2007, 10:49 PM

I think my milk might be completely gone...he still nurses briefly at night for comfort, but not in the day, and I haven't felt it come in in days. It's so weird. I wasn't counting on tandem nursing, but I never dreamed it would just dry up this fast. I'm only 3 months along, and I had a very plentiful supply since he was born.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page