Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK7
i too am having a nursing aversion.
i try to read here at mdc or a book, or watch tv. anythingto distract myself.

What I've done in the past is crossword puzzles, trashy novels, anything that gets your focus on something else. I also read Mothering Your Nursing Toddler several times, especially referring to the chapters on nursing during pregnancy. I lived in that book! So far I haven't had any problems but it's early yet for me. I'm definitely bracing myself for it.

Nursing aversion is terrible. (((hugs))) to you, Mamas!
See, I'm sorta the opposite. Trying to distract myself makes it worse....and then it just gets to be too much to bear and I cannot calmly end the nursing time. If I focus on the feeding, notice when his suck changes and then give him a five-second count, I can handle it better and (hopefully) make it not as traumatic for him.

I do find it helpful to firmly grasp my breast as he's nursing, and even dig my nails into my own skin, or bite the inside of my cheek. I suppose that's merely a different sort of distraction, as I guess it sort of tricks your body/mind by overriding the nursing sensation with stronger sensations.

Since my post earlier, when i was out on the ledge (LOL!), things have not been quite so bad again, prolly because I am being careful to not let the aversion sneak up on me again. And I've been nursing him as long as I can, until it begins to feel uncomfortable, then I tell him milk-time is almost over, and begin to count to five. He is starting to make the connection and has even unlatched himself a couple times at five. Other times, I have to unlatch him and he fusses for a second, but it's getting better. If I can just get him to accept my limits for the time being, I can keep going with this. I am PRAYING we can make it through this time, because I know that it will be a thousand times better once the baby is born, and I don't mind tandem nursing at all. Just please, Lord, help me get through this rough spot!

It helps SO MUCH to know that you are all here, facing similar challenges, and wishing me well! It helps more than any of you could possibly know!! I truly thank God for this connection!

ETA: mama_nym, that's great advice about nutrition affecting nursing aversion. Thanks for the reminder....I know that I have a hard time staying properly hydrated!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 01:29 AM

Oh, yeah. I do that grabbing my breast while my 4.5 yr old nurses everytime now. I think he is just getting older and the suck he has is making my aversions worse(they are vreeping up on me, but it's not too bad with my 2.5 yr old, but very bad with my 4.5 yr old). I am almost 33 weeks pregnant, and just keep telling myself it is only for a little while longer. I think he is on the verge of weaning too, so that helps a little. LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 AM

Hello Mamas!

I didn't get a chance to read through the entire thread yet. I am 5 weeks pg nursing a 17 month old. Dd nurses all day and all night still. I haven't noticed a decrease in milk, actually it's been just the opposite. Nipple pain is luckily non-existent so far.

I am sooooo tired and ravenously hungry constantly. I've taken 1-3 hour naps every day for the last week. I hate naps and never nap unless pg. The nursing is making me very tired though. It's exactly how I felt when dd was a newborn. She would start to nurse and I felt drugged, I would literally slump over and fall asleep instantly. I couldn't even keep my eyes open. I love hormones!:
Old 06-22-2007, 01:55 AM

I just wanted to add that lightly effervescent mineral water, and ice water is a life saver for me. I know that ice water isn't so good for you but if it helps keep me hydrated an nausea free, well, hey, i'm not going to complain.

EmergnC was also my lifeline during last pg. Izze's are great too. They didn't give me heartburn ever. Any almost everything gave me killer heartburn.

I guess the bubbles are what do it for me.

I also make my own herbal tea. I put about 12-15 different herbs to support pg and nursing in it, depending on what is available to me at the time. It is lovely. When I'm feeling no energy at all, I brew it in the Mr. Tea ice tea maker....so easy and fast. Actually, it's what I bought it for! I drink a couple large mugs of the tea hot and put the rest in a glass jug in the fridge. The next day I have a delicious cold and nutritious tea.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM

Usually when I get pregnant, I wean the previous child, but my son will not wean. He is 23 months and down to one nursing a day.
I am 9 weeks pg, and I'm sore. and tired. i have four children, this pg makes 5!

5podmomma
to Ethan, Elijah, Melody:, Levi:, and ???:
Old 06-22-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5podmomma View Post
Usually when I get pregnant, I wean the previous child, but my son will not wean. He is 23 months and down to one nursing a day.
I am 9 weeks pg, and I'm sore. and tired. i have four children, this pg makes 5!

5podmomma
to Ethan, Elijah, Melody:, Levi:, and ???:
I am pregnant with #5 too, and nursing 2 kiddos. It'll get easier, and once a day is not bad.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 PM

I'm pg with #5 and nursing 3 kids!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 PM

we are a great bunch here.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 PM

I'm nursing my 10 month old and am about 21 weeks along, and having some serious issues. My baby is going through a nursing strike due to my low/non-existent supply, so I feel like I'm almost forcing him to nurse. He's fine in the morning (well, only nursing about 3-5 minutes each side, but that's considered "fine" for us at this point). He will occasionally pop on for a few minutes here and there but that's it. He seems more irritated by it than anything. I'm so disappointed because I really want to continue to nurse him, but my supply is so low and neither one of us is enjoying it, so I don't really know what to do at this point. I'm taking More Milk Two and drinking pregnancy tea, but nothing seems to be helping at this point. For those of you who have gone through this, do I just keep at it? Is it possible for him to "dry nurse" for the next few months? Is it even worth it? He gets solids and some formula at this point, because I don't want to chance him not getting enough to eat (my supply is that low).
Old 06-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Most of my kids have dry nursed through my pregnancies. My first two were 16 months apart, and I did not loose my milk with that pregnancy, luckily, so my older kiddo didn't go through that. ALl of my other kids were older when I got pregnant, so maybe more persistent, or it's just their personalities or something. Lots of babies do wean during a pregnancy, but because he is so young I would still encourage(not force, obvioulsy, not that you can force a baby to nurse)him to continue nursing if possible, the benefits when the baby comes and after are still so great for such a young kiddo.
Good luck mama. That must be really tough.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:44 PM

This is my first post, but I guess I have to start somewhere

I'm almost 36 weeks along with my second and Madeleine is about 13 months old. This pregnancy was NOT planned and I certainly wanted to continue nursing so I did, despite the pain and decreased milk supply. I am still nursing, although my milk supply has certainly droppped and changed throughout my pregnancy. It still hurts, although a few minutes after latch on it is much better. My biggest complaint now is rolling over in bed to nurse. (Getting harder to roll.)

I read Adventures in Tandem Nursing at the beginning of my pregnancy. Some of the stories at the end of the book scared me... Anyone else? I love nursing my little girl and look forward to nursing two. It seemed like some of those stories made nursing seem miserable. I'm sure some days are harder than others.... It was just a teensy bit discouraging for me anyway, especially when I first found out I was pregnant and I was worried about nursing my then tiny little girl (she was so young!) and of course I was emotional, etc., etc. Now that I think about it, I do think I was overly emotional, scared when I read the book. I don't mean to criticize too much. I do think the book offers some great tips and want to buy my own copy for reference. (I'd checked that one out at the library.)

I'm not sure if my colostrum is in yet or not. My supply has mostly been a guessing game the whole time since my little one can't really "tell" me very well. There have been times I thought there was nothing, then she'd spit up right after nursing so I was obviously wrong. I sometimes hear swallowing, sometimes not. A few weeks ago I thought certainly my colostrum was in because her poo was yellowy and very loose. (Not due to sickness either.) But then that went away.... How do you know when it's in?

Things I am looking forward to: my milk coming in and no more guessing, hopefully having a GREAT supply, keeping my toddler happy because she has NO IDEA she's not going to be the baby anymore, oh, and of course having another baby to love and welcome into our family
Old 06-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Hugs, Amylizpat! I'm sorry you are going through this! Yes, it is possible for them to dry-nurse (my eldest did it for 4 months!) but since your baby is so young and already beginning to refuse, I'd say that it sounds unlikely that he will want to dry nurse.

I wonder if a supplemental nursing system would help? I have a friend who used one with her eldest (she got pg with her second when the eldest was about 3 months, and she lost her supply pretty quickly). Anyway, she used it throughout the pregnancy, and it worked well for her. I know that she got very tired of using it, but it was worth it to keep him nursing.

Anyway, you might look into it...if you could get him to accept the "strange hardware" lol...I think that would be the biggest challenge, since he's already 10 months. But the increased flow might be enough to convince him and keep him on the breast longer.

http://www.amedicalsupply.com/medelasnssystem.html Here's a link to one SNS...I think there are a couple other styles, too....you could do a google search and find more.

Good luck, and congrats on your new baby!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:15 AM

Congrats, mommainak! I don't really have any answers to your questions (my dd was 13 months when I found out I was expecting ds2, and that's our closest spacing so far--so I have no experience with nursing an infant through a pregnancy.). But I did want to welcome you and congratulate you on your new baby--and on making it this far with your older baby!

I have not read the book, but I can see what you mean...OTOH, I think some of us need to hear the less-than-rapturous stories also, so that we know we aren't alone in our frustration/guilt/irritation....and yes, even misery, on occasion! Not that those feelings are constant by any means, but they are common enough that it is nice to know others have struggled--and made it through--before us.

They ought to put the stories into a couple categories though--one for stories to inspire you, and one for stories to encourage you when you get to where you can see the end of your rope--and it's getting closer!

Anyway, here's a positive story for you: My firstborn, Elisha, was born tongue-tied. The nurse who tended to him after birth showed me his tongue and said, "it's nothing serious--he's not in pain or anything. But you'll want to let his doctor know, because it can sometimes cause trouble with breastfeeding, or later, when he starts talking." For that one brief interaction, I will always be grateful to her, because it did indeed "cause trouble with breastfeeding", and had I not already had a head's up warning from her, I never would have known what to do. As it was, the pediatrician had no clue about breastfeeding and tongue tie, and since ds was gaining well, he was inclined to laugh off my concerns--and my physical pain--as simple new-mom hormones. I had to convince him (and the NP, and the LC) that it really WAS a problem, and I needed them to help me solve it, and that putting him on formula was NOT a solution! We finally got his tongue clipped at 3 weeks, but it was another 10 weeks before I had healed enough to (finally!) have a pain-free feeding. I mention all that because knowing a bit of my journey makes it easier to understand why I was so determined to make breastfeeding work. After all that we went through just to establish a good nursing relationship, I was darned if I was going to give it up! So, I nursed Elisha through my pregnancy with Maggie. It wasn't always easy, or fun (see my earlier posts in this thread!) but it was good. It was important for both of us....I don't regret a second of it.

And I'll especially never forget one precious moment. It was early in the morning, on an early spring day. It was a special day--the day of my daughter's birth! My water had broken before dawn, and I had notified the midwife, then went back to bed to sleep what little I could. Later, I woke my dh, so that he'd have time to call in for a sub (he was a classroom teacher at that time). He showered and left to do some errands--get his lesson plans ready for the sub, pick up some groceries for us, and get the teenage girl from our church who had agreed to come and stay with Elisha during the labor and birth.

So, for a couple hours, I was alone with my sweet son, who had just turned two. A boy while awake, full of action and mischief and delightful curiousity, but he was asleep then, and still very much a baby. My baby--my firstborn. The child that made me a mommy, and thus changed my life and my concept of life forever. The first child I held to my breast, the first to need me and be needed by me in that special symbiotic way. I watched him sleep as I had contraction after contraction. His peacefulness and innocence in sleep brought tranquility to my soul and gave me strength to meet each wave. Then he woke up and wanted to nurse. I nursed him and felt the contractions increase, growing and swelling until he drifted gently back to sleep. I held him close against me, head nestled on my arm--a baby still but how quickly and completely he turned into that mischievious little boy the very moment his sister was born!

And I just laid there with my son in my arms and my daughter in my womb trying to find her way out.... Holiness. It happens at unexpected moments.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM

Thanks SheBear, for your sweet message. What a beautiful story... Of course, it made me cry. (A good cry.) Your story blessed me.

I don't feel like I always know the perfect way to parent my little girl... I'm glad nursing has been such an easy way to show her I love her, although it hasn't been easy through pregnancy. It is nice to know others are going through the same thing.

I wish my sister had been able to get her little girl's tongue clipped as well. (She was also born tongue-tied.) Fortunately, she continued to nurse, despite plugged ducts and eventually mastitis. She too was determined, especially since her first was unable to nurse (tube-fed) and she had pumped milk for him for a year. Now my neice is 3 years, has problems with speech, and will have to have surgery on her mouth because of the doctor's ignorance. Bummer. I am so glad my sister stuck with nursing. I'm sure they both benefited from it.

Thank you so much for your supportive message.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 AM

mommainak - I am a bit disappointed that there aren't more upbeat mother's stories in Adventures in Tandem Nursing as well. Mine is the first mother's story in Adventures in Tandem Nursing - and I continue to nurse two of the three nuslings mentioned in the story as well as a third nursling born in September 2005 and am 7.5 weeks pregnant. I absolutely love nursing through pregnancy and tandem (or triandem ... or if my oldest doesn't wean by the time this babe is born, quad) nursing and couldn't imagine doing it any other way. It eases the transition as another member enters the family, it's a wonderful way for the older nursling(s) and the new baby to bond, and tandem (or more) nursing makes for many precious moments that I'll treasure forever. There's nothing better than nursing a child around a big pregnant belly and hearing their laughter and joy as they feel the baby-within kick ... or feeling the baby-within move toward the nursling's heartbeat - and then to the other side when the nursling switches sides ... or to have an older nursling curled around their newborn sibling while they both nurse and get to know each other through touch. I could go on and on an on.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I don't feel like I always know the perfect way to parent my little girl... I'm glad nursing has been such an easy way to show her I love her, although it hasn't been easy through pregnancy. It is nice to know others are going through the same thing.
Oh I SO hear you on this! Through all the fears and uncertainty and second-guessing and guilt and being at times just SURE that i have no business raising children, the amazing gift of nursing has been able to sooth and calm my babies' hurts and fears...and my own as well! It is just such a blessing to have this relationship with my children. I honestly don't know how non-breastfeeding mothers do it....if all other factors were equal, and discounting all the other obvious reasons to not choose formula, just this one simple fact would make it worthwhile: I can look at all the "experts", and all the mothers around me who seem to have it so together and well-balanced compared to how I feel. And in other circumstances, I would feel so inferior to them, so much like a 12 year old playing at being a mom. But I know that I have something to give my children that no other person in the world can give them!

What a blessing it is to have that sort of reassurance!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Ah, the ups and downs of nursing while pregnant. After Asa not nursing at all yesterday except in the morning upon waking, he got up this morning and started nursing and pulled back, laughed, and started making his little lip smacking noises he makes when he likes what he's eating. He then settled in for a nice 20 minute session. I guess I'm making more milk today? I hope he starts nursing more during the day and evening...I'm offering it frequently but so far he's not too interested, just a little latch and he's done (if that).
Thanks for the advice about the SNS, but since his hands never stop exploring while he's nursing and he's not too interested in latching in the first place, I just really can't see him taking it without yanking it and playing with it instead. I'm going to give it some more thought, though.
I really do appreciate everyone's support on this. I'm glad I found you ladies.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM

ugh...i'm feeling so crappy lately (emotionally) I'm trying to NOT nurse dd in the mornings and its hard I love nursing, and so does she.....why does it have to be so hard?! Were still night nursing....she nurses 1-2times at night and usually 2times in the a.m.

I guess I just need a hug and need someone to tell me its going to be ok. I really DONT wanna get into it here....but if someone (nursing/pg momma) would please PM me, I really need to talk.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM

omg sarah, your story is so INSPIRING! I love love love it! what a wonderful momma you are!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:47 AM

Oh, I am so glad I found this thread. I am 7 weeks pregnant and nursing my 13 month old daughter.

I've been experiencing a lot of pain during dd's latch, but I read on kellymom.com that some women find that increasing water intake helps. I'm giving that a try, not yet sure if it's helping my nipples but the extra hydration sure makes me feel better overall.

Luckily I'm not having too much ms. Mostly I've been really really tired, taking up to a 3-hour afternoon nap when dd does every day. Also the hunger! I can't eat enough to stay sated, find myself lightheaded/low blood sugary often, and no matter that I'm eating like it's going out of style I am losing weight.

We're in this for the long haul though. I am totally committed to nursing dd for at least 2 years. Since she'll only be 21 months when the new baby comes, we're heading onward to a tandem nursing adventure. I just hope my nipples don't hurt so badly through the whole pregnancy.

One question: dd doesn't drink any milk but mine. Should I introduce her to some other animal's milk now so she'll be used to it when/if my supply dries up? What kind of milk is best for a (as far as we know) lactose tolerant toddler?

My dd was born : in May 2006 and my ds was born : in February 2008. : :
: We're on an extended tandem nursing adventure! :
Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 PM

I just wanted to join this thread .. I just got my BFP yesterday and I am still nursing my almost 16 month old DS .. have not noticed supply drop yet .. no pain either. I am excited for this pregnancy. I am not sure I want to tandem but ds will just barely be 2 when this one comes or almost 2 as this one is due the day after his b-day. I wanted to nurse till 2 or past .. so we will see .
Old 06-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Oh am I glad I've found this thread. Just last night after nursing my son for only a minute on each side I rolled over and told DH, "I can't stand it anymore. I've got to wean him."
I'm 26 weeks pregnant and it drives me up the wall. I can't describe how much I hate it. I love looking at my sweet little guy and I have always loved nursing but this is such a strong feeling. I just feel like its too much stimulation and it feels like he is flipping his tongue on my nipple. It drives me insane! I would much rather it hurt than annoy me like this. I try to count in my head or think of other things but it doesn't help. He will stop nursing for a 20 seconds or so then start again and that always snaps my attention back to the nursing. I keep thinking how will I stand to nurse 2? I nursed DS almost constantly rarely getting a shower and I don't see how I'll do two. I hate to think of ending our relationship though. Each night I get closer and closer to weaning and I would have done it already if DS didn't/doesn't put up such a protest that breaks my heart.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:12 PM

s to you. It is a really difficult decision.

I did want to let you know though, that for many women that feeling comes and goes...I sometimes get it for weeks, but then can go months with feeling ok about it. Once your colostrum comes in(maybe a few more weeks), it will probably help a bit(it did for me). Another thing is to make sure you are drinking a ton of water. I notice a huge difference when I am really well hydrated(like I think I am drinking plenty of water, and then I drink more).

How old is your ds? Will he accept any limits? Like singing a song, or counting to 10? Does he distract easy? A special new cup, or something could help so you don't have to wean completely but can distract him with his cool new cup. I don't know, these may csound stupid, just trying to help a little. LOL

I do feel your pain though. This is my fourth time nursing through pregnancy, and sometimes I wonder if I have lost my mind, but I know I have done it before, and can do it again. There really is nothing more amazing than watching your two little ones nursing together, holding hands, petting each other. It is just beautiful.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Hugs, Hippiemommie! If you have a chance to read back over this thread a bit, you will quickly see that you are in very good company here! You ain't alone, you ain't crazy, and you ain't a bad mommy!

One day at a time, mama! or minute by minute, if need be...and if/when the time comes that weaning him is truly the best option for both of you, you will know it, and you can do it knowing full well that you gave him your very best!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:22 PM

Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you conceived your baby that you're pregnant with the first month after your period returned. I've heard conflicting things. I've read that it takes a few months for your cycles to be normal and you might not even ovulate.I've also heard that it can be hard to get pregnant while you are breastfeeding even if your period has come back. But I've also heard to act like you are fertile as soon as the period comes back. Which was it for some of you? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Just wanted to share, dd fell asleep last night without nursing at all. She's 3y and I gave her a choice of another book or nursing and she chose to read : It was very exciting, but bittersweet at the same time. Naturally, she changed her mind after the book but I cuddled her and rubbed her back and she fell asleep easily. I am sad to be near the end, but it is getting so painful lately that I'm not sure how much more I can do!!!!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2libby View Post
Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you conceived your baby that you're pregnant with the first month after your period returned. I've heard conflicting things. I've read that it takes a few months for your cycles to be normal and you might not even ovulate.I've also heard that it can be hard to get pregnant while you are breastfeeding even if your period has come back. But I've also heard to act like you are fertile as soon as the period comes back. Which was it for some of you? Thanks in advance!
I am fertile immediately. Lots of moms get pregnant before they even have their first period.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:33 PM

This is so weird. My ds just keeps suckling away even though there is no milk. Suddenly though, the sensitivity came back at 30 weeks and I shouted out in pain last night and scared him b/c his latch on felt like fangs into a wound. ow. I don't want to wean him but feel like I have to. I don't know how I could nurse two kids in one night and still sleep.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:36 AM

Quote:
For me, my period was starting up -- I got two days of really dark blood probably the size of two quarters then it stopped - I didn't even know it was my period but obviously it was cuz I got pregnant immediately!

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Old 06-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekawa Ma View Post
Oh, I am so glad I found this thread. I am 7 weeks pregnant and nursing my 13 month old daughter.

I've been experiencing a lot of pain during dd's latch, but I read on kellymom.com that some women find that increasing water intake helps. I'm giving that a try, not yet sure if it's helping my nipples but the extra hydration sure makes me feel better overall.

Luckily I'm not having too much ms. Mostly I've been really really tired, taking up to a 3-hour afternoon nap when dd does every day. Also the hunger! I can't eat enough to stay sated, find myself lightheaded/low blood sugary often, and no matter that I'm eating like it's going out of style I am losing weight.

We're in this for the long haul though. I am totally committed to nursing dd for at least 2 years. Since she'll only be 21 months when the new baby comes, we're heading onward to a tandem nursing adventure. I just hope my nipples don't hurt so badly through the whole pregnancy.

One question: dd doesn't drink any milk but mine. Should I introduce her to some other animal's milk now so she'll be used to it when/if my supply dries up? What kind of milk is best for a (as far as we know) lactose tolerant toddler?
Nekawa Ma, I could have written your post. I am almost 7 weeks pregnant and my son just turned one. I still pump during the day (between 8 and 12 oz, lately more like 8) while I am at work, and my DH bottlefeeds that milk to P during the day. Then P nurses (or at least latches on) many times during the night. Lately I think it's molars or something, since he's been more demanding at night.

I too am committed to nursing at least until 2. I am really praying that my milk doesn't dry up. But in the even that it does, I have the same question-- what should I feed him? I ahve thought about formula, since I know that his diet is not that balanced right now (expecially when it comes to fats and protein). I have also considered soy milk. I don't think he is lactose intolerant but I would like to avoid cows milk, unless I decide I"m comfortable with the local source we have. Maybe goats milk?

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm confronting the same issues you are. Hopefully we will figure it out.

Jessica

User Tag List