Big babies: What's the scoop? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2002, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Supplementing just because a baby is big? I am so glad I didn't have dd in the hospital. She was 9-4 and 20 1/4 inches long. Fattest new born I had ever seen. (No tearing or epesiotimy, 5 pushes, no drugs thank you very much.) We just grow them big around here. dd #1 was 5-11 and 19 1/4 (skinnniest baby I have ever seen) at 34 weeks which is huge for a baby her age. Dh was a twin and they weighed in at 6-5 and 8-5. Delivered naturally and exclusivly Bf for 6 months in 1975. Holy Cow. no matter how I feel about MIL I will always respect her for that.

Supplementing will cause all sorts of problems. Esspecially if the fear is not haveing enough milk. Please, if anyone has a big baby please don't let your Dr. talk you into this. It is really not necessary and will effect your supply so that you truely won't have enought to feed your babies. It is a viscious cycle. Women can produce enough milk to feed 2 and 3 babies, it isn't any harder to produce enough to feed one big one.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2002, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great advice Lilyka! I know too many moms who get talked into supplementing, for more reasons than just a big baby. I had an 8lb. 14 oz. baby the first time around, and I am a thin person by nature. My milk did not come in for a full 4 days! The first ped we had (which we quickly fired) was in his words "not pleased" with our babys weight gain in the first two weeks. So we kindly said goodbye, thank you very much and we will not even consider supplementing! The best thing for her was letting her nursed everytime she wanted to, soon enough I was supermilk and she was a nice round baby, and perfectly healthy I might add because we stayed away from formula. I only wish Dr.'s would keep up on breastfeeding research, they absolutely owe that to their new moms and babies!

User Tag List