Anyone have experience with IUGR/small baby (below 10th percentile) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
While no one has thrown out any techincal terms, my baby has not been growing well and has fallen below the 10th percentile in the weight estimate. Imperfect as the technology is, it is not just a matter of size that concerns the doctors, but the overall growth trend (or lack thereof). Also, my amniotic fluid was on the low side. I've been upping my water intake and resting. I'll be 37 weeks on Wednesday and cannot be induced since my daughter was born by cesarean. While I will be discussing all this with my MW and the hospital perinatologists, I am wondering what others have done in my situation.

I am going in for more tests (NST and ultrasound). My MW is supportive of a VBAC and wants to see if we can continue this pregnancy until I go into labor, but it all depends on how the baby is faring in there.

Thanks, mamas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 03:36 PM

Citymama! I'm in your ddc.... I'm sorry this is happening to you.

I 'measure small' but since I've had a full term, healthy normal baby before, I've opted to assume carrying small is 'normal' for me, as dd#1 was also 'looking small'.

I did do some checking on IUGR when my mw mentioned it and to me it seemed that THAT specific term is more related to maternal choices (like lifestyle issues). 'Small for Gestational Age' is more the term for unexplained small babies.... but often it has to do with the placenta and how well it's taking care of your baby, which is actually different again. But I'm not the expert!! :

So maybe you just have 'small babies'?! How big was your 1st? Is this pregnancy very different? Do you feel good movements and do you feel like you are growing?

I sure do hope some other mamas out there can give you some insight.... and I am hoping that this all turns out to be 'just fine'. I've got my fingers crossed for you (where is the smilie for that?!).

meg

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 PM

Near the end of my pg with dd, it seemed as though she wasn't growing well and we had an u/s that sent everyone into a panic. However, after my OB reviewed the data from the u/s himself and did a NST, it turned out my baby was fine, a little small but fine. I think I was 37 weeks at the time of the freak out. Dd was born 2 days after her due date and was over 6 lbs.

Part of the fact that it looked like she wasn't growing, I believe was that she suddenly shifted lower.

I have a friend who leaked fluid for quite a while (can't remember exacts) and still had a healthy baby vaginally and went into labor naturally, though a little early.

I hope all goes well with your appts.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 11-06-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmeg View Post
So maybe you just have 'small babies'?! How big was your 1st? Is this pregnancy very different? Do you feel good movements and do you feel like you are growing?
Thank you, Meg! Small for Gestational Age is what I'm hearing from the perinatologists. Everything checked out okay today, except that my amniotic fluid is on the low side and the baby is measuring below the 10th percentile (and had been measuring 30th earlier in the pregnancy). They want me in 2x/week for an ultrasound and NST and told me to "rest". Hopefully, it is just that the baby is small because it is small, not due to any problem with the placenta.

My first was about 6.5 lbs. Small by western standards, but not below that 10th percentile threshold that has caused the concern. DH was about 6lbs at birth and my niece was 6.1lbs and I was somewhere in the low 6lb range as well. So it is not like we have big babies on either side of the family!

Lately, I have been feeling the need to slow down and rest more, even before all this came up. So I knew on some level that this is what I needed to do. I haven't gained as much weight this pregnancy (about 21lbs) and noticed that I don't have the linea negra or stretch marks as I did last time. I will keep up my protein, pray that DD naps for me, and rest as much as I can.

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:35 PM

Hi citymama!

I think you are doing the right things.... rest, protein and BELIEVE! Your body was made to do this, and it will do a good job. That's what I tell myself when I start stressing. Just keep growing your baby by giving it love and then you can pleasantly surprise everyone when you deliver a healthy baby- and 6 lbs is just fine!

I only gained 20 lbs with my 1st and didn't have the line or stretch marks; heck, some people didn't even recognize that I was pregnant. My back up doctor was all ready to deliver an 'under 5 lb baby' but she was 7.5lbs. Hah!

It's the dr/mw job to worry- and they are good at it! Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes not, the bottom line is no one will know until the baby comes.

So take your prenatals, drink lots of fluids, put your feet up and hug your belly.:

Thinking of you... meg

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM

Sometimes those measurements and u/s where they say the baby is X big are out and out wrong. My bf was told with both her kids they would be close to 10 lbs, both were 8.5, not tiny but a good lb and a half less than the u/s indicated.

Take it easy and eat plenty of protien!

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Old 11-08-2006, 02:12 AM

Being that youre having u/s showing that your LO is growing slowly, this may not help at all.

When I was pg with ds1, I had u/s's at every visit from 20 weeks because he had enlarged kidneys in utero. My last u/s was at 34 weeks. They said then that he looked to be about 4.5 pounds which is normal. He was born full term weighing 5 pds 10 oz. 5th percentile. After review and findings during the c-section, it was determined that he was resting lightly on his cord from the time he dropped until birth (almost 6 full weeks). He was tiny, but thankfully healthy for what could have been a devastating birth.

User Tag List