Short Cervix??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 11-09-2006, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister just had a ultrasound and was told that she had a shorter then average cervix…I guess her cervix is 2 inch and average is 4 ½. She is 20 weeks prego. Anyone ever heard of this? I hope it makes no difference. They started asking her questions about contraction ect. Any way I am just worried about her. I hope I got the facts straight I just talked to her but my DD was having a moment in the back ground. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-09-2006, 08:16 PM

Shortened cervix can be nothing, just normal physical differences between women, but sometimes it can indicate a risk of preterm labor. I'd imagine that they would ask her to monitor any signs of preterm labor and may ask to do some follow-up ultrasounds to see if her cervix is continuing to shorten or is staying the same. If it gets shorter, they may be more worried about PTL and ask her to curb her activities or to go on bedrest.
#3 of 7 Old 11-09-2006, 10:03 PM

I had/have a short cervix.
With my first pregnancy, I had a u/s at 6.5 weeks (due to bleeding) and it measured 3.3 cm. At 20 weeks I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid so my MW did another u/s to check my fluid levels, and my cervix measured 2.2 cm. I was put on moderate bed rest and MW did ultrasounds every 2 weeks from 20-32 weeks to see if it was changing any. No changes and I delivered a 7 lb 14 oz baby at 39 1/2 weeks.

This pregnancy, I am seeing a different CP, and she's worried about my 3.5 -3.8 cm cervix being short! After my cervix "prooving" itself last time, I'm not worried about it.

I think it's more of someting to worry about if you are having contractions or any other "abnormalties" at this stage.
If this is her first pregnancy, I'm sure they will keep an eye on it via u/s since she doesn't have any previous history.

Lynisha ~Car Seat Tech-Scrapbookin'-Cake Decorating-semi-crunchy wife & SAHM to 2 + one on the way in Nov~

#4 of 7 Old 11-10-2006, 07:09 PM

I'm 24 weeks and last week I had my routine checkup and my cervix was short. I ended up having a cerclage and I'm now home on bedrest. My peri was honest about the cerclage not being a definitive thing but as a first time mom to be i was so freaked out that I wanted to do everything I could to keep this baby healthy.

Now a week later, my cervix is holding up well and I'm just looking forward to hitting all my goals - 28 wks, 30 wks, 32 wks, 34 wks, and 37 wks. Bed rest and being stuck at home isn't my cup of tea but again, I'm willing to do what I can to keep this little boy growing.
#5 of 7 Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 PM

iwas told my cervix was short at 28 weeks , here in germany they check your cervix at every appointment and do an ultrasound. but they havent told me anything since then other thent ot ake it easy, mine was 2cm so i guess cuz it has stayed that way that it seems all is fine, just gotta take it as easy as possible is allreally
#6 of 7 Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 PM

I’m starting to become an expert at this short cervix thing.

Here are my “stats”, just another story...
With DD (now 18mo)
3.0 cm @ 20 weeks u/s
2.5 cm @ 29 weeks u/s
1.5 cm @ 31 weeks by physical exam
1.5 cm @ 33 weeks by physical exam, dilated to 1 CM
1.5 cm @ 34.5 weeks by physical exam, dilated to 1 CM
Gave birth at 35 weeks & 6 days. I was lucky, she was healthy & could take her home.

I am now 32 weeks (tomorrow) & because of the history am considered high risk.

Here are my stats so far...
3.5 cm @ 19 weeks u/s
3.2 cm @ 24 weeks u/s
3.0 cm @ 28 weeks u/s
3.0 cm @ 30 weeks u/s
At 31 week appointment my MW said she thought my cervix was starting to open & felt a shorter than usual. They hooked me up for a half hour to monitor me for contractions (none) & I have another u/s scheduled for this coming Tues. We'll see???
STAY BABY!

hippie.gif     goodvibes.gifearth.gif         treehugger.gif          caffix.gif         broc1.gif         trekkie.gif              signcirc1.gif           whale.gif

#7 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you mamas!!

I am sending you all a BABY STAY vibe.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page