second baby after 3rd or 4th degree tear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if I am posting this in the right place. I've heard that csections are recc. to women who have had bad tearing, because further tearing during a subsequent birth can make it difficult to control your bowels.:
Does anyone have any information on this?
#2 of 8 Old 11-13-2006, 08:39 PM

I've never heard this. I can't say I've btdt, since this is just my second. But, I had 4th degree tearing (into my rectum, sorry if this tmi) with my first. The dr. who stitched me up never said anything about a c-section for this one. I ran into him a couple of wks. ago, and he is totally supporting in my plan to have a homebirth this time. So, I think that it's something that depends on who you talk to.

FWIW, my midwife said she had a really difficult first l&d, including bad tearing, and for her second she drank 3 cups of RRL tea a day during her pregnancy. She said that her second birth was much better, with little to no tearing.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#3 of 8 Old 11-13-2006, 08:55 PM

I have BTDT LOL My 1st sons presenting part was his elbow so I suffered 3rd degree tears including my cervix tearing almost in half. I am proud to report that I have had 3 other deliverys that required not a one stitch nor a C-Section. The last was a unattended homebirth!! I am currently 4 wks pg with the 5th and am considering another U/A HB HTH
#4 of 8 Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 PM

I had a really bad 3rd degree tear with my dd and am pregnant again, so I'm not btdt. But my midwife knows all about my tear and she thinks I won't tear like that again. So not only does she not have a problem delivering after a tear that bad, she doesn't think it's likely to happen again. hth
#5 of 8 Old 11-13-2006, 10:27 PM

I had a friend who got a cs after a tear with her first but I think it is TOTALLY NOT NECESSARY. I had a bad 4 th degree with my first and hardly a tear with my second even though she was a pound bigger and came out slightly transverse with her hand next to her head!
#6 of 8 Old 11-13-2006, 10:40 PM

I've BTDT. I had a 3rd (1 stitch from a 4th) degree tear with my 2nd. I went on to have #3 with no med and no tear. I'm currently pg with my 4th, and going to a birthing center so no c section planned here b/c of my previous tear. I'd be very suspicious of someone making that recommendation. That said, I guess there are circumstances where the tear is so severe and possibly not stitched properly, etc that the damage is too much.
#7 of 8 Old 11-14-2006, 01:24 PM

nice to hear that tearing on one birth does not necessarily mean tearing the next time! i had tearing (no idea what degree but probably 2nd or 3rd) with my 1st birth. i have just assumed the next one would be as bad

how does the RLL tea help not tearing?
#8 of 8 Old 11-15-2006, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
how does the RLL tea help not tearing?
I have to admit that I'm not quite sure. I think it's that the RRL tea helps to prepare the body for labor, and the more prepared the body is, the less likely a woman is to tear. My understanding is that the tea mainly tonifies the uterus, so I'm not exactly sure what the connection is, but it seems like a lot of things have an affect on other things during labor.

Sorry I'm not of more help in answering this. Maybe ask on the RRL thread? Someone there might know.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page