Quote:
Rachel Weisz courts controversy as she says you can drink when you're pregnant

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...cc=picbox&ct=5

:
#2 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the world coming to when we can't trust the star of The Mummy for good prenatal advice?

I care even less about this than about Tom Cruise.
#3 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:23 AM

She's right. I am so sick of all the drama around this issue. Nothing brings out the rabid in people like drinking during pregnancy. Expect this thread to degenerate into 38903453 pages of passionate arguments and mama judgments.

This is about controlling women's bodies, not about protecting babies from FAS. Even the people who don't think they're doing this are falling into the trap.

Mark my words, this is not an issue that debates well anywhere, let alone amongst parents on the interweb.
#4 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Mia View Post
She's right. I am so sick of all the drama around this issue. Nothing brings out the rabid in people like drinking during pregnancy. Expect this thread to degenerate into 38903453 pages of passionate arguments and mama judgments.

This is about controlling women's bodies, not about protecting babies from FAS. Even the people who don't think they're doing this are falling into the trap.

Mark my words, this is not an issue that debates well anywhere, let alone amongst parents on the interweb.
At least one among us has the head to be conciliatory about it
#5 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:31 AM

I agree with her.

And as for those "the sky is falling" doctors...if a baby is at risk every single second of gestation, they should outlaw any and all drugs during labor.

Not to mention all the other crap docs do that endangers babies way more than a glass of wine here or there during pregnancy.

Or the fact that they almost entirely pooh-pooh the importance of nutrition, which has a FAR greater impact on a FAR greater percentage of babies than the occasional drink.

And I agree that this thread is going to erupt and it won't be pretty.
#6 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Banned

I'm not taking a position on this issue. (Except where heavy drinking is involved of course.)

I have taken notice however, of the fact that my mother drank (and smoked) when pregnant with me, my younger brother and my younger sister.

And we are SMART. Smart, and without any apparent ill-effects.
#7 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:44 AM

someone that i know in the medical profession told me that american docs take the no alcohol position because of liability issues. they don't want to get sued.
#8 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 AM

Fetal alcohol syndrome DOES exist, but it's generally due to binge drinking during pregnancy - NOT a single glass of wine here and there. However, even developmentalists say that there is no "safe" amount of alcohol during pregnancy, especially depending on which theory you believe.
#9 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshollyk View Post
someone that i know in the medical profession told me that american docs take the no alcohol position because of liability issues. they don't want to get sued.
: also, paranoid, controlling UA violations.
#10 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:55 AM

I don't drink during pregnancy, but that's because I don't drink period. (religious reasons.) However, I don't think that a glass of beer/wine/whatever a day is a dangerous level healthwise to ingest during pregnancy. There ARE dangerous levels, but one glass isn't that level. Just my .02. Additionally, Weisz is English, and Europeans look at alcohol during nursing and pregnancy differently than Americans do.

, , , and
#11 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 02:55 AM

Both of my doctors told me drinking in moderation was fine. My first doctor even said that a glass of wine each day after the first trimester would be fine. Not saying I'm on board with that personally, but I do loathe the "pregnancy police."

If people are that concerned about children, perhaps they could lobby against child abuse, volunteer to benefit children, etc. rather than police what pregnant women choose to eat and drink. A woman having an occasional glass of wine during her pregnancy bothers me no more than a woman eating a turkey sandwich (the dreaded lunchmeats!), enjoying a cappuccino or opting for drug free/drug-full birth -- none of my business.
#12 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 03:15 AM

Coming from a different culture, I don't get the american fixation with women drinking in pregnancy and while bf-ing.
Where I am from the doc will tell you drink a glass of guinness a week when you are breastfeeding you are welcomed home with a champagne toast after the birth of the baby and during pregnancy it's not unheard of for doctors and midwives to tell you have a half glass of wine to help you relax
Here it's like an alternative reality, where if you drink you are horrible : while my doc friends who don't work in the US are going, "girl relax have a glass of wine"
#13 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
To paraphrase what a small child once asked me:

"If you can't drink when you're pregnant, won't you get thirsty?"

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#14 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri Patetic View Post
I agree with her.

And as for those "the sky is falling" doctors...if a baby is at risk every single second of gestation, they should outlaw any and all drugs during labor.

Not to mention all the other crap docs do that endangers babies way more than a glass of wine here or there during pregnancy.

Or the fact that they almost entirely pooh-pooh the importance of nutrition, which has a FAR greater impact on a FAR greater percentage of babies than the occasional drink.

ditto on all accounts

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#15 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 03:36 AM

Quote:
:
#16 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
To paraphrase what a small child once asked me:

"If you can't drink when you're pregnant, won't you get thirsty?"
#17 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 03:39 AM

'Kay, you are all freaking me out. I was sure the thread would be in a full-on scrap by now.

Anyway, count me in as another one who agrees with Rachel. My (UK-trained) midwife had no problem with the odd glass of alcohol. I even craved Guiness in my 2nd trimester, but when I tried to drink some it gave me heartburn. Sigh.
#18 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 03:45 AM

I agree with her too, and ITA the paranoia in America is about controlling women not about babies. Responsible use is not a problem, regardless of the " there is no safe amount " liability issue.
#19 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPentor View Post
I care even less about this than about Tom Cruise.
I care because I Rachel Weisz. I her so much, I can even correctly pronounce her last name!

But, seriously, after living in Ireland, I just don't get the hysteria surrounding drinking and pregnancy in the US. A glass of wine will not a disabled child make. At least she's not giving her child barley formula (is that what the scientologist formula is? I can't remember... )

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#20 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 AM

I can't believe I'm the first one to avail myself of those 'smilies'.... I couldn't resist!
#21 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 05:22 AM

I just heard this on the news tonight (in canada)... that they are revising the rules about alcohol during preg. don't have the time to find a link, but they said two glasses/per week, will be ok.

<My aunt is a FAS educator ... So I was super paranoid about alchohol in my pregnancies, but I think it's fine, really, as long as your not chugging each glass back. and as long as it's past the first trimester.
#22 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
Yep

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#23 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 07:18 AM

I agree with her (and not cuz I like her as an actress LOL).
#24 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 AM

Color me impressed. I am glad this thread hasn't exploded.

#25 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 11:09 AM

I agree with her. I think its a Doctor liability issue more than anything.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#26 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have to wonder about the whole nutrition thing. I wonder if babies born to moms deficient in certain nutrients are more susceptable to damage from low to moderate amounts of alcohol. Maybe alcohol increases the need for vitamin Q and then the lack of adequate vitamin Q causes what we know as FAS, or at least the subtle damage that's been attributed to moderate alcohol consumption in some cases.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#27 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPentor View Post
What's the world coming to when we can't trust the star of The Mummy for good prenatal advice?
#28 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajira View Post
Coming from a different culture, I don't get the american fixation with women drinking in pregnancy and while bf-ing.
Where I am from the doc will tell you drink a glass of guinness a week when you are breastfeeding you are welcomed home with a champagne toast after the birth of the baby and during pregnancy it's not unheard of for doctors and midwives to tell you have a half glass of wine to help you relax
Here it's like an alternative reality, where if you drink you are horrible : while my doc friends who don't work in the US are going, "girl relax have a glass of wine"
:

When we found out we were pregnant, DH popped the champagne.
#29 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 12:20 PM

Honestly, in our sue-happy culture, I don't blame doctors for saying no alcohol. Say a doctor says one or two drinks is okay and a mom fills up a big wine glass and justifies it as "one drink" or orders a long island ice tea as "one drink". If her baby had FAS from doing this repeatedly, she could probably sue the doctor who told her that one or two drinks was okay.
#30 of 147 Old 11-15-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri Patetic View Post
I agree with her.

ITA! don't touch that beer! yet my OB just tried to prescribe me vicodin for my pregnancy headaches. :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page