really bad back pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi sisters.

about a month and a half ago (which would have made me about 24 weeks) i started to feel really poorly aligned in my lower back. it is worse when i am doing any movement where my core is strained (lifting a 2yo, getting up from lying down) but now it even hurts when i am just lying down. there is no amount of stretching or repositioning that makes it better. i've had 2 different massages where they focused on my back, and neither did much. this pain cannot be reached by touch. it feels like it is deep inside. i feel like i need a chiropractor to do some serious work on me.

i am sure this has something to do with loosening joints and something getting out of place, but i don't really know how to make this any better (other than giving birth, that is). actually, warm baths feel great, but i can't exactly sit in the tub all day, although i've thought about it.

any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2006, 12:49 AM

I had some wicked sciatic nerve pain during my last pregnancy, and chiropractic was the only thing that took care of it. Thankfully, I started going early enough that he was able to fix the problem and I was able to spend the last few months of pregnancy pain-free. I'd get in to see one right away!!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:39 AM

I have moderate back pain after standing for too long, like after a shower. A few times, after grocery shopping, it got really bad and I literally had to crawl up my stairs. I'm pretty sure my babe is posterior and I'm petite and sort of sway-backed so I don't think it's going away anytime soon. My MW tried doing an adjustment on my sacrum but it didn't do much.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 11-18-2006, 02:58 AM

I had that with my first pregnancy starting at the beginning of the second trimester (just when I was expecting to feel so much better than the first trimester ). I would sit on a hot waterbottle and also got one of those doughnut pillows to sit on-- that helped some. I also had to sleep with about 6 pillows to get comfortable. I think it was joints loosening-- I swear I could feel each bone in my pelvis floating separately! I'm hoping this time around it's a little better!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:40 AM

I've had pretty bad upper back pain where I would wake up in excruciating pain, stiff as a board, breathing would hurt, and I would have to somehow slide out of bed or have my dh lift/haul me up.

I started to see a chiro with a pediatric background who specializes in pre/post natal care. LIFESAVER. Initially, I had to go every 2 days but I'm down to once a week and she also gave me very specific stretches for my particular areas of misalignment.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

hi. thanks for your replies. i have been doing some research and i actually think it might be sciatic nerve pain. its kindof in my butt and lower back on my right side only, although not all the way down my leg, as apparently it sometimes is. not too fun, but i like the baths...
Old 11-24-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolucionaria View Post
hi. thanks for your replies. i have been doing some research and i actually think it might be sciatic nerve pain. its kindof in my butt and lower back on my right side only, although not all the way down my leg, as apparently it sometimes is. not too fun, but i like the baths...
I get that, too, and chiropractic care CAN help. In the meantime, here's a stretch that works for me, even with my pregnant belly (so far! Might not work as I get bigger). Sit in a straight-back chair or on a bench. Side of bed works in a pinch depending on how high it is. Cross the ankle of the "bad" leg over the opposite knee, then pull it up your thigh a little - maybe 6 inches. And really the ankle, not farther up your leg. Now lean forward until you fee a stretch. To get a little deeper into your piriformis (the muscle that often causes "sciatic" pain when in spasm), pull the knee of the crossed leg up and a little in as you lean forward. These are gentle stretches, so don't strain, don't bounce, and hold for at least 30 seconds, longer if you can. I do this three or four times a day and really feel when I don't.

Also, sleeping with a body pillow (or other pillow) between my knees really makes a difference for me, esp. the past month or so (I'm at 25w4d).

Hope this helps!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 11-24-2006, 11:46 PM

i just saw a chiropractor for my never ending back pain and i feel great. even driving for 8 hours in holiday traffic - it hurt while driving but the pain went away within an hour or so instead of lingering on and on...

another bonus is that whatever adjustments he made really took the strain off my abdominals, too, and all of the belly muscle pain i was hvaing is gone, as well.

User Tag List