Mamas who have had 9+ pound babies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 11-19-2006, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what did you eat during your pregnancy to help grow such a chubalicious baby? My dd was tiny, but i think i was developing a bit of high blood pressure, which effected the growth of the placenta. I would love to grow a biggy this time! tia!
#2 of 66 Old 11-19-2006, 11:43 PM

My first was 10.4 and my second was 8.9 I ate well both times with an emphasis on protein, greens, and fruit. Tried to cut out juice, no junk, and ate when I was hungry. I didn't have bp issues though, and that does make a difference.
#3 of 66 Old 11-19-2006, 11:44 PM

Well, dd was 8lbs 12 oz, so nearly 9lbs I made sure to eat plenty of protein.

I paid attention to what my body wanted (tried to answer cravings with healthy choices)

good luck!

-Angela
#4 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 12:46 AM

I was terrible during my pregnancy with my 10 lb 2 oz baby. I'm so ashamed to admit that I grew him mostly on Big Macs and pizza. I worked full time my entire pregnancy and it was a matter of convenience, mostly. Also I craved red meat the entire time and found out ten weeks before I was due that I was severely anemic, so my body was trying to tell me something. Too bad I didn't crave spinach
#5 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 12:49 AM

lots of sugar :
That and I went to 41 1/2 weeks. I did try to eat A LOT of protein but I craved sugar really bad (I later learned this is a sign of NOT getting enough protein)

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#6 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 12:54 AM

My daughter was born at 9'15' and I attribute it to protein and additional calories associated, lol. I was doing the Brewers diet that pregnancy and taking in about 60-80grams of protein a day. In doing so, I think I upped my daily calorie count by chunk just to get to that. When my sister was experiencing complications and expecting a premature baby, we laid the protein on her and neice was born at 36 weeks over 8lbs, lol. I really think for us, high protein grows a baby big. I've not been doing high protein this time around, and I'm pretty confidant this baby is a shade smaller than his sister was at the same time.
#7 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 01:05 AM

I lived on peanut butter. Both of my babies were over 9lbs.
#8 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 01:09 AM

I had a 9lb. 4 oz boy, but he was 10 days overdue so letting him take his time might have had something to so with it. Otherwise, I can’t say what made him big. I had huge aversions to all meat and sweets during that pregnancy so it certainly was not a sugar thing. However, I did have a major thing for pasta in the first two trimesters so maybe that did it!

Wife to Dh Mom to Ds (6) Dd (3)
and our brand new Ds
#9 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Banned

DD was 9 lbs 1 oz at 39 weeks. DS' were 6.5 and 7.13, but were born at 37 weeks so they would have been almost 9 lbs if they'd gone to 40 weeks. I ate pretty much everything in sight :
#10 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 01:20 AM

m was 9lb in opposition to his older sister, who was 7lb3oz (she was born at 39w2d, he was born 40w3d). i gained 70+ lb with him, about 35 with her. however, i ate SO much better while pregnant with him. i ate sort of a modified brewer diet; i had a tendancy to spill ketones because i was nursing my toddler while pregnant, so my midwives requested i eat pretty regularly-- thus, i was eating nearly every waking hour! i also consumed mass amounts of chocolate.
#11 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 01:22 AM

My major cravings were yogurt and fruit parfaits and turkey sandwiches with a buttload of veggies.

I didn't really eat differently than usual.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#12 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 01:51 AM

My baby was born 6 days past my EDD. She weighed 9 lbs 10 oz.

I drank alot of slurpees, ate fast food fairly often (convience as I worked full time). And well I satisfied any cravings I had.
I was lucky that my BP was stable thruout the pregnancy. And I only gained 28 lbs.
#13 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 01:51 AM

My first was 9lb3oz, and I ate a really, really healthful diet. LOTS of greens, colorful veggies, fresh fruits, lean meats, not much dairy, no sugar to speak of, and I drank an insane amount of water. I was thirsty all the time.

By comparison, I craved (and caved into) sweets and carbs way too often. She was 7lb13oz.

I gained the same amount of weight with both babies...and a funny aside--my first eats an extremely healthy diet, doesn't love sweets, drinks water all the time. My second is a sugar junkie, doesn't like to drink water, and it's not as easy to get veggies into her. Funny, that.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#14 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 02:28 AM

My son was 9lb 12oz.
I probably wouldn't really *recommend* eating the way I did but here it is. I craved lots and lots of meat, and ate lots of roast beef sandwiches and stuff. Beef stew. Roast chicken. (I was pregnant in a new england winter, lots of heavy hearty dishes). Chocolate milk by the gallon. Peanut butter sandwiches every day for lunch at work(thank you WIC). Those are hte htings that stand out to me. I had lots of oatmeal for breakfast, but mostly because it came back up easy and is really cheap. TMI, sorry.

Oh, and salads from Wendy's because dh was managing one and would take home the unsold salads for free after the close of day.

I guess looking at what I wrote, I'd say I consumed a ton of protein, way more than I normally would. And I bet he would have been even bigger if I'd given up the coffee entirely (I cut back to 1 cup/day) and had quit smoking earlier. I did it, but it took longer than it should have. But yeah, protein I guess.

ETA I did gain a lot of weight during my pregnancy, about 70lb(I was *really* small to start with) but my blood pressure and blood sugar and everything were fine, I had a very normal boring textbook kind of experience. And I was quite physical, my job had me in motion pretty much nonstop 40hrs/wk.
#15 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 AM

My daughter was 9lbs 10 oz and 21.5 inches. I really ate whatever appealed to me!: when I had morning sickness my first trimester I lived on whole wheat bagels and cheese and multigrain bread and peanut butter for lunch & breakfast and spinich salads (I know, weird cravings) and eggs benedict for supper.

I ate fairly 'normal' food my 2nd and 3rd trimesters with the exception of still eating a ton of spinich and broccoli and (literally) boxes of fruit, esp nectarines.

I had a hard time with meat protien. I could only eat meat if I didn't have to be around it while it was cooking.

I gained 24 pounds (and I'm a fluffy mama) and 'lost' 19 of it when I had my daughter. My blood pressure was always perfect (I'm a tad low normally)

So far with this pregnancy my diet is about the same, with a little less fruit and spinich (it's harder to get nice fruit this time a year---small town) I've been eating lots of unsweetened applesauce for a treat!
#16 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 11:39 AM

My first ds was 10 lbs 2 oz (born at 41 wks, 4 days) and ds #2 was born one day shy of 40 wks, he was 9 lbs 7 oz.

I always eat breakfast, and a healthy lunch, and a homecooked dinner (most nights of the week, anyway). Aside from the basics to make sure I got a variety of the good stuff (fruits, veg, protein, fibre, calcium, etc) I ate whatever I wanted, pretty much. If I had/have a craving for a chocolate bar, I'll eat it. So maybe I eat more than the average pg woman, it's hard to say. Although I started pg #1 25 lbs lighter than I started pg #2, I ended up at the same weight by the end. This leads me to believe that your body is 'programmed' to gain a certain amount of weight no matter your diet, and your baby's size is predetermined as well. Just my theory though!

I loved my big strong babies, I was glad they were big, although I'm always thinking how cute those 0-3 mth size outfits are, and amazed if I get to hold a smaller baby than I've had! So tiny!

Tricia, due March 12th

SAHM mom of 3 beautiful boys - Aug/02, Jan/05, Mar/07.
#17 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 11:43 AM

My ds was 9 lbs. 14 oz and 22 inches long. I craved dairy at the end of my pregnancy with him. I don't know, it was insane. I think protein has something to do with it. Eating healthy and taking care of yourself is the best advice. My dd was 7 lbs. 6 oz and perfectly lovely and healthy

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#18 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas! i have been eating tons of protein this time around, in hopes of really controlled any potential blood pressure problems. my dd was 6 lbs 3 ounces, but i didn't eat well at all, lots of carbs and junk. thanks!
#19 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 12:17 PM

ok my first was 9lbs 2 oz the second and third were 9lbs 1 oz. with the first i eat like CRAP, i was 16, eat all sugar, and junk, gained 74lbs!!! lost it all bfing thankfully! LOL
second i eat a little better b/c i was so scard to have another 9lbs baby... well i eat well, but craved pastas and spicy stuff. gained about 60lbs still had a 9lbs baby
my third i eat as well as i could, avoided sweets, and tried lots of protein and veggies. still gained 55lbs and had another 9lber...
Also every one of the babies were 5 days past due date. two were natral the third was an induction (scartatics from the drs telling the baby was well over 10lbs ). With my next one i'm going to think about trying to exercise but i really don't like to, i'm only (non pregnant weight) 110-125lbs... i don't like to exercise at all, so i'll prolly just do what i've done before! LOL
#20 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Both my boys were 8'13". I was nearly vegan through both pregnancies. I ate ginormous salads full of nuts & seeds & beans every day my whole 1st trimester.

I think genetics play a huge part though. I come from a family of big babies. Good luck!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#21 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 02:17 PM

lots of protien helps for sure and in my case I avoioded white flour and sugar because they are well known to make big babies - perhaps do like my MIL and live off of Twinkies in the last trimester and you will have an 11 pounder like my dh was!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#22 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 PM

My babies were 9.7, 10.9, and 8.14. They were big, but so was mama! Gained 75, 50, and 50! While I tried eating lots of healthy stuff, I also ate whatever I wanted. I seemed to eat a lot of Mexican food. Used to joke that my kids came out speaking Spanish! Didn't get much exercise either. Fortunately, I am tall so I carried it well (at least I think so!) and it came off very quickly!
#23 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 03:11 PM

i just ate whatever sounded good
#24 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM

A fair amount of protein and a lot of veg. Some fruit in for variety but not that much as I was watching my sugar levels. (so no sugar, or white flour and the like.)

I lived (am living) on a variety of hearty salads and soups. Fortunately I enjoy both those things so it's all groovy.

mum to a crew...
#25 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 07:15 PM

I think genetics plays a big part in it! I've gotten into a few debates with people over this recently. We're expecting #6 and I'd like it to be a bit smaller than my average. I'm a small mama and am sooooooo miserable with my big babies at the end (dh is a big man!) I've been told lots of protein, greens, and watch your carbs will make a smaller baby, but I'm not convinced. Mine have been:

ds 9'3" (40w 6d)
dd 9'12" (41w)
dd 8'13" (39w 5d)
dd 7'1" (39w 2d)
ds 8'10" (39w 2d)
#6 ?????

The one small dd looks EXACTLY like her mother. My diet has pretty much been the same with all of them. I did watch my soft drink intake with #1 because it was my first and I wanted to do everything "right", but the rest have all been the same. My question is, if diet plays such a big role, why wasn't my little dd bigger ???

Momma to 7
#26 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
I think genetics plays a big part in it!
There is that! I'm still trying to figure out what part though. My mom birthed a 6lb7oz (me) baby and a 7lb10oz baby (my sister) I know that with both pg's she ate whatever sounded good and gained a considerable amount of weight. I otoh was very careful with diet (that dang sugar thing), gained little weight and my babes were 8.6 and 8.3 respectively. I'm curious to see what this one will be.
Now my paternal grandma had 4 boys, the smallest weighing in just over 10lbs. I don't know about my maternal g-ma...I should ask her though

mum to a crew...
#27 of 66 Old 11-20-2006, 10:18 PM

I just ate, I was always hungry - blood sugar was fine, but I too developed high blood pressure and needed meds from about 31 weeks on. My son was 9 lb 8 oz. But I'm tall and kind of big boned so maybe it's just me.
#28 of 66 Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 AM

I have low blood pressure. My highest reading ever was 105/80, and that was after an induction discussion when I was 41wks. She was 9lb 10oz.

My blood sugar has always tested fine. In reality though, I have problems with hypoglycemia, so I eat constantly.

Because I was expecting a bigger baby (my first was 8lb 3oz,) I tried extra hard to be careful with junky carbs and sweets. I did ok, except for the Indian craving I just couldn't kick--white rice with creamy curries...Mmmm.

I'd read about the Brewer diet, but honestly, I just couldn't choke down that much protein.

I attribute my big babies more to genetics, not so much diet.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#29 of 66 Old 11-21-2006, 12:47 AM

I gained 27lbs w/ Nathan ( the least of any of my boys) and he weighed 9lb 8oz. I just ate regular .... except for the KFC mashed potatoes w/ gravey 2x a week:

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#30 of 66 Old 11-21-2006, 02:09 AM

My ds was 9lbs., 1 oz., and I think it has more to do with genetics than diet. My dad was 10lbs.,+ and two of my siblings were over 9 lbs., and ds is just a big, big person. He weighs 33 lbs. at 18 months, and he's not even that fat.

That said, I do think that he got so big because I exercised a lot during the first trimester (ran a 1/2 marathon at 10 weeks), and then pretty much slacked off the rest of the time. I've heard that makes the umbilical cord get really big, so I think he was getting lots of nutrients.

Mommy to kids

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page