I met an AMAZING pediatrician today-Dr.Paul Fleiss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

Old 11-22-2006, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I just say he is lovely?! I have NEVER met a pediatrician that I just loved from the first second I saw him..Totally pro-breastfeeding, family-bed and all the good stuff,anti-circ,sweet and kind and wonderful!

And maybe there are pediatricians like that aplenty in other areas, but here in Los Angeles I feel like there arent...
And I didnt realize that he is the one who wrote this great article for Mothering on circumcision...and other articles for Mothering too!

Here is some information about him:

Mothering Magazine Sponsored Chat with Paul Fleiss, MD.Paul Fleiss is the doctor you always wanted to have. Trained as a pharmacist, an osteopathic physician, and a medical doctor, Fleiss is a well-respected pediatrician who has been in practice for more than 35 years. He is the author of Sweet Dreams: A Pediatrician's Secrets for Baby's Good Night's Sleep and What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Circumcision and has been published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. He is known for his expertise in breastfeeding and has been on the Professional Advisory Board of La Leche League (LLL) for more than 2s years. Fleiss has received several research grants to study the excretion of pharmaceutical drugs in human milk and has expertise in herbal medicine. He is a clinical assistant professor of pediatrics at the University of Southern California und the UCLA Schools of Medicine.
Anyway, he is in Los Angeles, and I just wanted to let LA mamas who may be looking for a great pediatrician know about him.

You are welcome to pm me if you would like more info...

here is a link I found on MDC that takes you to a transcript of an online chat between Dr.Paul Fleiss and some mamas:

http://mommychats.com/mothering/paulfleiss.htm

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 01:50 AM

Isn't he Heidi Fleiss' dad? Didn't he invest in her brothel, the one that got her busted?

(I could be wrong...but I could have sworn I heard this...)
Old 11-22-2006, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

He is her dad, yes. I dont know about his invesments...although I am sure that all those rumors are exaggerated..as rumors usually are :-)

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:31 AM

I've met him at LLL international confrences. He speaks the the confrences often. Wonderful man.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:37 AM

Thats so cool he can be your pediatrian. If I lived in California I would want him or Dr. Jay Gordon.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 AM

I've met him too. We've gone to see him a couple of times. I liked him, but I prefer our less-AP pediatrician on many things. It is cool that Fleiss actually knows something about breastfeeding and believes in many of the same things I believe in, but that isn't that important to me for a pediatrician. I don't have a problem when our pediatrician disagrees with my decisions for my child. I don't have a problem if someone thinks I am a bit off - I know that I am! :

My pediatrician has a much better manner with kids imo. Of course I could be biased because we've seen him a number of times over the past 5 years. I certainly know him much better than I know Fleiss. Btw, our pediatrician is Dr. George Nakashima. He's in Little Tokyo. Their entire office speaks Japanese, just in case that is important to you. (I only know a couple of words of Japanese myself, but I still think that is cool. )
Old 11-22-2006, 03:05 PM

He was my pediatrician when I was just a babe! My mom adored him. Wild that now I'm having one of my own!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:25 PM

Oh, you are lucky you got to meet him! I wish he could be my kids' pediatrician- but we are a bit far from where he is living here in VT.. . .
Anway I wish there were more like him!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Beachlivnmom-yea, Jay Gordon is cool but he does not take any kind of insurance. A friend of mine has him as her pediatrician and its very $$.
He was present for the birth of her baby, which I also attended and then a few well baby visits later and she had a bill that was in the thousands, no joke.

How sweet that everyone has such wonderful things to say about Dr.Fleiss!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 08:55 PM

congrats on finding a dr you like... who is also accepting new patients! (haha, other mamas on here have probably run into that problem... got a recommendation on a great dr only to find out no new patients at the time!) but having someone you click with and is on the same page as you is definately a good thing! (take it from someone who had the dr from hell!)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

User Tag List