How many postpartum pads do I need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-25-2006, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 40 weeks pregnant, as of Thanksgiving Day and switched to cloth pads several years ago due to bad skin irritation/rash from the nasty plastic/disposable pads. I didn't use cloth pads when my dd was born. I can't recall (dd is 5 now) how long my lochia lasted, or how long it was heavy or .... ?

So what was your lochia like? How many pp pads do I need? How long do I need to use the XL pads versus regular length mega pads? I've only got 10 of the XL pp pads and I'm afraid that may not be enough. I do NOT want to wash my pads every day. I would prefer to wash them every 3rd day if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-25-2006, 02:36 PM

If I remember right, I has lochia for 4-5 weeks after my son's birth. Every day it did get a bit lighter--unless I overdid it.I used disposable pads then...can you do a load of laundry every other day instead of every 3rd day??? That may help a bunch.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#3 of 6 Old 11-25-2006, 04:14 PM

I bled until about a month after my labor & C-section. Then got my period about 1 - 2 weeks after that stopped - couldn't believe it (nursing around the clock, co-sleeping, baby wearing & all!). I think you'd benefit from over-estimating the number of pads you'll need.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#4 of 6 Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 PM

I would stock up! I was in denial about how many I would need and had to do a frantic run for some. : My lochia lasted for 6 weeks, so I am going to prepare accordingly this time.
#5 of 6 Old 11-25-2006, 11:09 PM

can you say sixty days? ugh. but i didn't get my period until my little one was 1.5 years old. i was totally celibate (zero sexual contact at all) from the day of conception until two weeks before my period came back though so, i'm under the impression that the two are related.

i'd say LOTS of pads. but you can always buy more if you don't have enough.
#6 of 6 Old 11-26-2006, 03:17 PM

I'm a huge fan of using cloth pads, but I don't recommend them for lochia. I used them after my twins were born, but only briefly since I had no idea what lochia was like. As you may recall, it's not like menstrual blood, and IMO it's quite stinky. You'd really want to wash the pads every day.

This time I'm using 7th generation pads, and they aren't bothering me at all (I was sensitive to the mainstream brands when I used to use them), they work well, and it's nice to not have to worry about running out or washing them.

I bled for 6 weeks after my twins were born, but my bleeding has already slowed to basically nothing at 12 days post partum this time. I'm thinking I'll probably continue to gush occassionally when I'm more up and about.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page