How do you know when the baby's kicking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you feel like something is moving inside you? Or does it hurt or become uncomfortable? Or does it just feel like something is there?

I'm 15 weeks along and was wondering what baby kicking is supposed to feel like.

Thanks,
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 10:14 AM

It felt like bubbles popping inside me the first time around. That was around 18-19 weeks. This time it felt like, well, really light kicks, but just because I knew what kicks felt like. It was around 17 weeks this time.

Now, at almost 33 weeks, it feel like a football game being played in there.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:19 AM

I first started feeling bubbles at around 15 weeks, but I couldn't tell if it was gas or the baby. At 17w6d, I felt a light tap on the inside of my uterus and I KNEW that was the baby. The movements became stronger and more frequent from there on. Now at 36 weeks, his movements can be a bit uncomfortable, but it's still not at all unpleasant for me.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:00 PM

I just started feeling the baby this week! (I am 17 weeks) It feels kind of like flutters or butterflies at first for me but I agree with the bubble sentiment. I was trying to discern if I had gas or what but after all week I think its kicking and/or punching...
Old 11-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycholisticmom View Post
Do you feel like something is moving inside you? Or does it hurt or become uncomfortable? Or does it just feel like something is there?

I'm 15 weeks along and was wondering what baby kicking is supposed to feel like.

Thanks,
D

I first felt the baby move at 17 weeks. I was having gas (it felt like bubbles) my friend who has three children told me what it was. Now when he moves it feels like he is flipping over or I get a tapping on my bladder.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:51 PM

Early movements do feel like flutters...or bubbles.
But as they get stronger they feel more like someone bumping you inside! My lil one is moving as I type. S/He's getting WAY more active and movements are MUCH stronger!
I don't think it's uncomfortable at all. It's an awesome feeling and I savor every moment! (It's something you'll miss once baby is in your arms!)
However, toward the last few weeks movement can be painful. Like when baby is in your ribs and just starts kicking! OUCH!
Old 11-28-2006, 04:35 PM

I felt flutters/ tiny movements around 18 weeks. It wasn't until 21-22 weeks that I started getting really noticeable jabs and kicks.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 PM

I agree with all the PPs its only the beginning where you wonder if its gas or the baby... (I really didn't believe that until it happened to me though... ) I think the best way to describe the way I feel movement is to compare it to the muscle spasms that you get in your eyebrows/eyelids sometimes. You can definitely feel movement, but you're not controlling it. For me, it only hurts if she gets wedged up under my ribs or pokes my kidneys... all the other moves are just sweet reminders that I've got a live human in there :
Old 11-28-2006, 05:48 PM

At first, flutters... kind of like having a goldfish (a big one!) swimming around in your belly.

Later on, WHAM! you definitely don't have to ask, you KNOW it's the baby. Like when you can see an elbow or a heel poking through your abdomen.

It never hurts, though. (At least it didn't for me with DD.) It's totally cool.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:23 PM

Hurts me sometimes, I swear this little girl is breakdancing on my bladder like an NYC street dancer.

I felt flutters and things from about 18 weeks on. About 22 weeks I was lying on my belly petting my dog when all of a sudden I got this very insistent JAB in my belly and jumped about four feet in the air. Like baby was saying... "Mommm!!!! Get OFFA me!"

She hasn't let up since then, either! (Moving now!) At first I think it's mysterious, but the bigger they get the more obvious it becomes. Now my whole belly will kind of undulate when she moves around in there, it is cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFLc-QZKwG4
My belly does that. There are a ton of youtube videos of bellies moving, very very fun!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:40 PM

Ok, I am 14wd and all day I have felt what feels like poking. I thought maybe it was the bean but now that I have read these PPs I must be wrong. Is it possible tho?? Does it always feel like bubbles the first time???
Just curious since Ive never done this before
Misha

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 PM

In the beginning it stars of as flutters. I am in my 30th week, and it is definitely hard solid kicks usually on my lower right side because of the baby's position.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:39 AM

Almost 21 weeks here and still feels like little bubbles bursting. They are getting more frequent and stronger, but the sensation hasn't changed to actual jabs quite yet. Here's my progression:

15 weeks: flutters (like losing my stomach, but smaller and in my uterus)
18 weeks: teeny tiny pinpoint pains (I think I had a minor UTI and baby was kicking bladder)
19.5 weeks: light bubble popping infrequently (not even every day), also big full feeling shifting in my uterus a few times (baby shifting whole body??)
20.5 weeks: light to strong bubble popping, several times a day (DH felt one for the first time yesterday, he said it was like a little pop under his hand)

BTW: this is my fist pregnancy

User Tag List