Thigh falling asleep and becoming numb? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-03-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - I'm 23 weeks now. Just noticed the other day that if I'm standing for a period of time my right thigh becomes numb. Is this anything to be concerned about or to mention to my doctor. No true sciatic pain yet so I don't know if it can be attributed to the baby laying on a nerve or not. No abnormal swelling that I can see unless I go without water or eat too much salt.
#2 of 5 Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 PM

This is pretty common! Numbness in the thigh can be attributed to the baby or uterus impinging a nerve that feeds that area or also an impingement in circulation. it is always good to mention such things to your care provider at your next apt! True Sciatic issues result in pain/numbness down the back of the leg, not the front!
Causes for concern are when the numbness never recedes. As long as the feeling comes and goes, it is within the range of normal!
#3 of 5 Old 12-04-2006, 02:47 AM

I experienced this quite a bit ... it has been a while now since I have had it but it used to very regular. Especially if I was standing a lot or walking around and the only thing that would really help me would be to squat down for a little bit and then the numbness would go away. It was weird, but like I said I haven't had that for at least two months now. But I should mention it was never painful ... just a little numbness and it would go away after squatting.
#4 of 5 Old 12-05-2006, 11:24 AM

I've had this exact problem since I was only about one month pregnant. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the uterus pressing on anything as my uterus was not much bigger at that time. I'm also 23 weeks along now. The numbness happens when standing too long, sitting too long (~30 minutes or more), or laying on my back. If standing I kick my leg out until the numbness goes away. Otherwise I slap and rub it, which is rather effective. Sure hope this is only pregnancy related! I've been thinking of seeing a chiropractor for it. Annoying, but it doesn't hurt, so I keep putting it off. Interesting to see others with the same exact problem.
#5 of 5 Old 12-06-2006, 01:55 AM

Yeah, my legs get really numb when I am on the bus. I was assuming it just bad circulation since I have had bad circulation on and off for a long time. But it does happen a lot faster and stronger now that I am pregnant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page