Group B Strep and Eye Drops? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2006, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm 36 weeks and 5 days pregnant. i had the fun vaginal culture/pap smear last week. this week, my MW told me that i had gbs and would need antibiotics during labor. i've been reading some of the past threads on treating gbs with garlic, etc, but i havent seen anything about the eye goo they give to newborns. is this one of the cases it should be used? i had thought it was used in case the mom had an std. i had planned to try to deny the eye drops, but now i'm not sure. (btw, we will be going to one of the local hospitals where about 1/2 the births are attended by midwives. the nearest homebirth midwives are an hour away.)
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 10:47 PM

As far as I know, the eye drops are necessary only if you have an STD, particularly gonorrhea or chlamydia.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:44 AM

GBS has nothing to do with the eye goo.

-Angela
Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

that's what i had thought... but the whole antibiotics during labor and antibiotic eye drops had me confused. (plus being overtired, cranky, and other personal issues didnt help much...)
thanks!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Oh, and you can refuse the antibiotics in labor if you want studies show that it's questionable if they help. Personally I don't allow the GBS test at all.

-Angela
Old 12-08-2006, 04:57 PM

It really depends on where you give birth and how strict they will be with their protocols..
Here, the birth center used to allow you to refuse the eyedrops and Vit K. Now that they have been taken over by the big medical hospital running group conglomerate.. they have become a lot more strict.. they are even putting in a maternity triage area *barf*.
You can, of course, refuse any treatment.. You may have to fight hard for what you want and make sure you baby never leaves your sight..or they may just do what you said not to..

GL!!

User Tag List