what does the length of the cervix mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-16-2006, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my appointment yesterday , i am 38 wks and 3 days today, it went well, they monitored the heartbeat and for contractions for 15 min yesterday heartbeat was very good and i had one contraction during that time, they did the ultrasound the weight was 3719 grams but i think the u.s tech isnt the brightest she was new there and training back in july so i think thats off it cant be 8 pounds already when last week it was 6 lbs 5 oz so im guessing around 7lbs, then the dr checked me, Im not dilated but she said my cervix is 1cm, i looked up on it cuz at 28 weeks they said my cervix was short and 2cm and the normal cervix is 4cm so it has changed but she never says anything about thinning or effacing or softening so im wondering if when they say your cervix has shortened if that means the samet hing or something totally different, it woulda been hard to ask her because her english isnt very good she told us . so wondering if anyone here knew???

on a good note , when i have the baby i can leave the hossy 4 hrs later as long as we are both healthy wich i sure hope so, so far in my belly shes healthy and im healthy so pray that she come sout healthy so we can go home , i got to pick my next appt wich is 2 weeks away no sense in going next week for no reason ya know, so my next appointment is on my due date , i think i will be there and pregnant, hope not but i think so lmao, but ive had random odd contractions for a week now and no dilationg so who knows.

but is shortening of the cervix the same as thinnning or effacing or softening or whatnot>?
#2 of 6 Old 12-16-2006, 01:07 PM

I've always known shortening/thinning to be effacement. Softening can mean it's preparing to efface.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 6 Old 12-16-2006, 01:48 PM

I have a simmilar understanding as the pp. Effacement is cervical shortening and thinning out.
Effacement is generally expressed in percentages (50 % or 100% or whatever), whereas cervical length is expressed in cm.
Softening refers to the change that takes place in your cervix before labor. Until that time your cervix is about the same consistency as your nose, rather firm. But when it ripens (softens) it gets quite mushy, which makes it easier for it to dilate and efface.
#4 of 6 Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

ok so what exactly does it mean when my cervix is 1cm in length?

i mean i know its shortened since they told me at 28 wks it was 2cm but im confused as to what the length means in terms of um labor, ive been trying to find a website that explains it all where i can understand it but i havent found one just yet.
the drs here have never used the term effacing or softening etc just telling me the cervical length and if im dilated or not wich im still closed she told me.
i just dont know if like the cervix shortening means anything about labor being near. i am 38 wks and 3 days due on the 27th
#5 of 6 Old 12-16-2006, 08:49 PM

At 38 weeks, it sure isn't something to worry too much about. A shortening cervix is your body preparing for birth. It becomes an issue much earlier in the pregnancy, say 24 weeks with a 2 cm cervix length. And even then, all it shows is a POSSIBILITY for premature labor.

I've read a lot about it because I had a doc overreact with my length about a month ago. I even read about women who's cervix literally protruded from their vagina. Everyone is different.

By the time one gets to 31 weeks 1.5 cm is considered 'normal'. You're doing fine and good luck on your birthing!
#6 of 6 Old 12-17-2006, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

so basically im just getting prepared for labor then? hehe awesome . thats what i was wondering. with my son the drs have never told me anything about cervical length at all so it is like new to me , but with my son i was in florida and now im in germany

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page