Okay, May Mamas... Here we go! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2003, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
XM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, here's a new thread so we don't have to scroll through a bunch of posts to get the latest updates on each other. Can you tell I am ready to have this baby soon? :LOL I will be 40 weeks on Monday and I am feeling pretty done.

Anybody have any other things to get done before baby arrives? I need to fold and sort all the laundry that has been sitting in hampers so long that it has mated and colonized our living space. It's just clean clothes but they're all in hampers and all over the place. The bassinet is full of fabric (we're co-sleeping anyway but I'd at least like to be full of baby stuff instead of just random fabric), and my serger ate some velour when I was trying to make washies the other night, I was too tired to struggle with it so it's still mocking me over there with fuzz in its teeth.

Who else is doing cloth? I have so many cute things for this baby to releive itself in. CDing is definitely addicting. I have to choose that first diaper and it is so hard. Jean, I know you're a , what is your baby's first dipe going to be?

I also want to pick up a few more things here and there for the labor... What kinds of things do you guys have for your labors? We have a half case of organic lemon Recharge and several packets of Emergen-C drink, some Demetria Labor Balm, a yoga ball that Mike still needs to pump up for me, Cold Fusion frozen protein juice bars, and Mike is going to make some banana bread and stuff like that as well. I found this thing that goes over the overflow drain in your tub so you can fill it up more at Bed Bath & Beyond, and I also bought a tub pillow. We've also got some essential oils and candles for making things mellow. I am thinking a yoga mat would be nice for when I want to be on the floor or kneeling.

Have you picked out that first outfit yet? That's something else I need to do, talk to my MW about the sterile packs, which if she wants I need to do still. The blanket warming in the oven idea sounds great, how nice it would be to get a warm blanket over us after the birth.

We've already bought concert tickets for this summer, and we're so excited to take Spawn with us! Babies can go for free till age 1 or 2 depending on the venue, and since these are both outdoor festival-type shows I figure I'll get some tiny earplugs and put Spawn in the sling and we'll be cool. We'll be nursing so we won't have to worry about getting formula in or keeping it fresh, I'll just have to drink lots of water Oh, and we'll be having a picnic this summer for MDC mamas and papas in the Puget Sound area so that will be fun too. Has anyone else made summer plans with their babies already?

XM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2003, 02:15 PM

i have major grocery shopping that needs to be done. i'm not sure i'll be up to cooking, so i'm gonna pick up lots of easy stuff from Whole Foods to keep in the freezer, since i haven't thought of anything interesting to cook myself and freeze :
that banana bread is a GREAT idea, XM, i think i'll bake up some of that and some zucchini bread, too, to take with us to the birthing center. i still have to get some videos ready for ds to watch at the birthing center--i am planning to let him decide if he wants to be there when the baby is born...but i have to have stuff ready for him in case he doesn't.

i've spent the week going through old papers and stuff that had landed in bags, and cleaning like crazy. the super came and repaired the big hole we had in the bdrm ceiling from the upstairs apt's leaky radiator, so the bdrm looks nice and new now we have to buy a big wardrobe/wall unit to keep clothes in since we don't have much closet space. this is a big UGH.

as far as summer plans go, i'm planning a very macho : outing to a Mets game with one of my friends and the baby. dh and i are planning on spending lots of time at the beach (we have a small tent for me and the baby), and hopefully a trip to Montreal for their Gay Pride festivities. other than that, no other plans yet.

i'm glad you started this thread, XM...can't wait to see how everyone is progressing!!
Old 05-02-2003, 05:58 PM

hi all~ I almost posted on the old & then remembered this one, so here I am.

I still have stuff to do, but if we went into labor tonite, I think we'd be prepared! Finally made the car seat decision & bought the darn thing. Of course, we are *not* anywhere near having a baby yet. Had my 37 wk appt today & baby is not engaged in the pelvis, just floating free & taking it easy. Plus I just know it won't be in the next 2wks. I can tell there's alot that has yet to happen, I just don't feel different, you know? I am going to go out a limb & say here & now that I wouldn't be surprised to end up an early June mama instead of a late May mama. Of course, I was so excited to have May 1st come round so I can say "prolly this month" when people ask, but now the month of May looks mighty long!

XM~ it is so neat to hear how excited you are! I love all your plans! Cannot wait to hear your birth story!

And speaking of Jean~ where are you girl? You're not having a baby are you? I know, it's too early to start nagging!

and here's what we think are our final name choices: Griffin James or Dellen Sage! The baby seems to like both! DH made the final choice on the girl's~ I said what are we naming a girl? and that's what he said, so there ya go!

blessings to all, Maria
Old 05-02-2003, 08:48 PM

Hi all,

May I join you? I was due on April 30, but I still haven't had my baby yet. I am a sahm to Emma, whose 2nd birthday is on May 6th, and this one will be my second and it a girl.

I had my 40 week appointment yesterday and the CNM couldn't even find my cervix this time (she said it was pointed backward and she couldn't reach it). Last week I was 2 cm and 70% effaced. I've been having BH for 3 weeks now, but they just keep petering out. I still nurse my DD and that get the contractions going well while she nurses, but then they stop. I go in on Monday for a non-stress test.

I am so ready to have this baby, but it feels like it will never happen. I was spoiled with my first, she was 2 weeks early, so now I feel 2 weeks over due.

I plan on using hypnobirthing again, with a CNM in a hospital. It went great last time, 3 1/2 hour labor and 20 min pushing, so I am looking forward to another good birth.

Patience is not one of my virtues!

Anyway, I hope it is ok to join you... I look forward to "meeting" you all!
Old 05-03-2003, 01:15 AM

Welcome Janette! I had the same situation. My first baby (a girl) came 2 weeks early. Now here I am at my EDD! I'm surprised that he hasn't been born yet but I guess you just can't predict these things!

Regarding crazy house projects, I am just SO pleased that today I cleaned the grout and tile around my bathtub so when I take postpartum baths I can look at nice white tile! I don't know whether you all are into natural home cleaning products, but I like whatever will get the mold and mildew GONE! I bought some Tilex Mold and Mildew today and it was very easy and worked pretty well! Another thing dh helped me with was taking down the shower curtain liner (clear) and washing it! I had NO IDEA you could throw something like that into the washer till some girlfriends online told me. We put it in a hot wash with detergent and some Borax, and then did a second rinse with vinegar. Came out as clear and shiny (and non-spotty and mildewy) as new! I was just going to throw it away and replace it.

Also, I've been doing laundry and dishes like a fiend, just becasue the thought of leaving in labor and coming home to a pile of dirty dishes/laundry just really bothers me. I'm having my baby at a birthing center but coming home same day.

I've made all the lists I can possibly think of, I've got a template on my computer to make up baby announcements when we get home, I've addressed all the envelopes (about 60!) for that, I've got a list of 9 people to call for babysitting when labor-time occurs, I've made maps, name lists, highlighted everything on the packing list that dh needs to grab when it's time to go...LOL! Can you tell I've had a lot of time to spare?

Tonight I think i will vacuum again and then fold some laundry and bounce on my birth ball!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 02:27 PM

Sounds like you are ready LGSW!!

I'm about 3.5 weeks away from my due date. I had a horrible week last week--the worst my entire pregnancy. I got a nasty cold and with baby kicks and not being able to breathe, I went for several days on just a few hours sleep each night. To make matters worse, I had something due at work on Friday, so I had to work long hours. Then by the end of the week, I started having what I think are contractions. I felt so out of touch with myself and with my baby.

I have another project due next Friday. But I've spent the weekend just working in bed and sleeping. Trying to get back in touch with myself. And last night I had a good, long sleep. If I feel up to it later, I may even do some yoga.

I can't wait until next weekend when I can slooooow down, clean house, buy final items, and generally just nest and relax. Dh luckily has been doing EVERYTHING.

I can't wait to hear birth stories. If any of you post these elsewhere, can you make a note on this thread? That way, none of us miss the thread.

take care all.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
XM

Hello Janette! Now, where is JEAN? She has'nt posted to the boards since 4/29...

We stilll have lots of stuff to do (clean kitchen, do rest of laundry, etc) but I do NOT feel like doing any of it! I started having some pretty good contractions last night, unlike the BH (which I felt in my lower belly) these I feel in my lower back and pelvis. When I had Xiola, that change in the location of the ctx was what let me know that they were real. We went out to dinner and came home and soaked in the spa downstairs, OH that felt so good. We are going out to breakfast and making a Whole Foods run and then we'll be hanging out at home the rest of the day.

The exciting thing? I have started to lose my mucous plug last night! I was also having some pretty good contractions, but they petered out and we got a good night's sleep. There was a *tiny* bit of CM (my plug mucous looks thicker and more yellowish then fertile CM, sorry if that TMI but I thought some of you may wonder what you're looking for) and a few drops of blood. My plug started to come out 3 days before Xiola was born (and it came out a little at a time till labor got started) so I am thinking Spawn will be here this week! I am so excited!

Oh, and on the sterilization thing, my MW was saying sterile packs are great but what's most important is just making sure things are super-clean, and then bundle and set aside the clean things so you have them when you need them... like run the towels for the labor through a HOT dryer cycle to kill off any funk, the thing is that you just don't want to be using a towel from the bathroom floor when your water breaks, KWIM? So that made sense to me. If I have a chance I'll make the packs but if not then I guess we'll be using our dryer.

Okay, going out to breakfast now... talk to you later!

XM
Old 05-04-2003, 10:51 PM

I'm done!

Typing this one-handed, so it will be brief. i'll come back with details soon.

My little Leo Jerome was born yesterday at 6:54 am at our free-standing birth center. It was a short hard birth but went without a hitch, in retrospect. i woke to my water breaking at 2am, and we met the midwife at the birth center at 3:30. i still was giddy and talkative but contractions heated up probably around 4 or a little after. By 4:30 i had a sudden baby movement--i think he spun around or something--which caused a drastic deceleration in his hr (I was getting an initial monitor strip b/c until then ididn't really seem to be in rough labor). The m/w was mmediately concerned and checked me--no prolapsed cord, and i was 5cm. i moved to the bed and remained monitored throughout the labor, but by hand, not monitor belt (so i was free to move however i needed).

I was feeling the urge to push soon after 5 and tried to wait as long as i could to really push. i had a terribly long pushing phase with my first and i didn't want to repeat that.

i pushed for about 1.5 hours, which had me pretty down at the time--so much work and i had assumed second babies practically fall out. but once i moved him down and had him crowning, it was so easy and enjoyable. i was still clear-headed due to the shortness of the labor and i was able to control my pushing as he crowned. plenty of burning but i could tolerate it knowing he was really coming out! I pushed his head, then his body out, cord was around neck but m/w took care of it. he had lots of molding due to the long pushing phase. he came out and onto my belly crying lustily and then had a really nice period of quiet alert for about 1.5 hours.

he weighed in at 8 pounds, 7 oz--almost 2 pounds greater than my fiurst child, and he was born on his due date!

i'll share more about the birth later but i wanted to let you all know. we went home around 11am and life is happpy and surprisingly "normal"!

Old 05-05-2003, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Congratulations on your new son!
Old 05-05-2003, 02:46 AM

Hi May Mamas,

I want to post my birth story, but have to get some shut eye.

Cooper Gage was born at 10:49 pm on Wednesday, April 30th. He was 8.0 pounds and 20 inches long.

Mama and baby are healthy and doing fine.

It was a long labor, but oh so worth it!

Sending empowering thoughts to all of you soon to be laboring moms. Think open, open, open.

Jenn L.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
XM

Congratulations Lindsey and Jen! I am so excited for you both... although I was kind of hoping to be one of the first to go I was wondering if the first babies would be girls or boys and so far it's been all boys!

We're going to bed now, Mike will be staying home so we can just relax and see if we can invoke the Spawn tomorrow. I would soil myself if I actually had this baby on its due date, would'nt that be funny (except for work, I am chronically late). Also, we don't know if the Spawn is a boy or a girl (we'll be thrilled either way) and the suspense is killing us! I can't wait to meet this little person.

We are going to make the sterile packs tomorrow, so that we'll be ready to the point of redundancy. Maybe the baby wants us to catch them on fire like my friend did, a burnt offering to the birth gods perhaps. The apartment is pretty clean, we still have laundry to put away but that just never seems to end regardless. We're also going to soak again, take a walk, take a nice long nap and... um... you know... try to get the baby out! Wish us luck.

XM
Old 05-05-2003, 03:34 PM

Leo Jerome & Cooper Gage!

hurrah Lindsey & Jen~ how wonderful to have these babes show up right on time for the beginnig of May!

Jen~ can't wait to read your birth story! great advice ~open~ ~open~ ~open~

Lindsey~ it sounds like bouncing on your birth ball really worked, I'm thinking about pulling mine up to the computer! I've got to encourage this little one to commit to head down & engaged!

XM~ hope you are progressing as you are hoping!

hope everyone else is feeling great!

Rebekah~ how I wish you could have these last few weeks without work stress! You are doing great taking care of yourself & getting back intouch with your body & baby, what a rotten time to have a cold! Could it have been your body's way of demanding some extra rest? Hope this week is much better for you!

blessings for all, Maria
Old 05-05-2003, 09:59 PM

Hey ladies,

Guess what we did this weekend?!

Our beautiful, perfect little son, Daniel Martin arrived at 10:30 on Saturday morning (my due date, can you believe it?). I will post his birth story later on, and I will read the other messages here, too! Right now, I am still really tired, but I can tell you that I have never been so head-over-heels crazy for someone like this. I love my baby!

More later!

Jean

and baby Daniel (7 pounds 3 ounces, 19.5 inches)

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 05-06-2003, 02:14 AM

Congratulations, Jean!!!!

I can't wait to read the birth story!

---------------------------------------------

I'm just barely hanging in here. We're having a BBQ this weekend at the park down the street and I'm hoping the baby is born more or less the next day! lol!

I just have never been so uncomfortable. The only thing that's really making me so uncomfortable though is my pelvic/pubic pain (there is a term for this but I can never for the life of me remember it). It feels like my bones are burning, every time I try to roll over in bed I am almost screaming, I'm waking up poor DH all the time. Unfortunately I don't think anything will make it better except having the baby.. I haven't gotten much sleep lately b/c I'm in so much pain.

We kinda talked about that today (midwife was here), she was talking about how you have to be ready to just have the baby already, and I told her I had said a few weeks ago that if being pregnant wasn't incredibly uncomfortable at the end (in general, I'm sure some people don't get uncomfortable), people would want to stay pregnant forever.

Found out that I have a yeast infection, sucks b/c I had no symptoms, but a good thing I let them check my cervix today or we would never have known. Don't have time to order an herbal remedy online, so we're heading to Walmart in a few minutes to get some Monistat. We're also going to pick a birth pool. (It's kinda big, 8' round, but includes a pump we can use to pump out cold water, which is nice, and we'll use it as a regular pool afterward)

They wanted to see if anything was going on with my cervix. It is less than 50% effaced, she said, but nothing else is going on yet.

XM, thanks for reminding me, I've got to 'burrito' the blankets and wrap them in foil!
Old 05-06-2003, 06:31 AM

Jean!!!!
from TTC to here~ you're a mama! Wow! You really have to share your birth story right away! How else can I keep copying you???? hee-hee!

I feel like I'm going to be the only one left & it's only May 6th! Oh well, I'm just gonna hang in there & wait for my due date, you ladies sure are setting a nice precedent with these on-time little guys!

Wonder how XM is doing?

Can we have a due date role call? Who all is out there??

~~~~~~~~~
I am feeling good, we are fighting a flooding basement from all the rain & we are supposed to have thunder storms continuing for the next 6 days! So, I am definitely getting my work outs! Gotta get some more rest!

blessings, Maria
Old 05-06-2003, 10:38 AM

Congratulations, Jean!!!!!

and Bloodrayne, i'm right there with ya on that pubic bone pain--sometimes it's really hard to walk. i don't remember this from my first pg

my due date is on Sunday, so i'm trying to finish getting ready. my midwife hasn't checked me yet, and they will only if i ask them to. i'm going today and i think i might have them check me--haven't decided yet. we'll see...

i'm concerned about the baby being posterior, so i've been getting on all fours to try to encourage her to turn. i hope it works!!
Old 05-06-2003, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
XM

I'm still pregnant! I *really* want to have this baby already!

XM

(due May 5 )
Old 05-06-2003, 06:11 PM

I've been anxiously watching to see when your baby comes!! You've been such an inspiration to me, so strong. Keep us posted!

You're almost there!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:21 PM

XM, I know you are ready! I am sending good labor vibes your way. And for you other ladies-in-waiting, as well. I want you all to have safe and healthy and blessed labors and births -- how can they not be!

LGSW: your birth sounds great! I am glad that it was so short. You are a pro!

I have a little page that I put up for Daniel this morning. I am going to post his birth story there. Right now, it is just pictures and a BRIEF blurb with his stats. Here it is: www.aumyoga.com/daniel/daniel_intro.htm

Maria, you are too cute, as usual! My labor was pretty short. Water broke at 2:30 am on Saturday, and contrax started a little before 4. And DVZ arrived at 10:30am. It was the hardest, most wonderful event of my life.

I gotta go finish that story while my sweet husband and baby are still napping here next to me (thank goodness for laptops!)

Lots of love to all you ladies!

Jean

edited to add: XM, although my heart is one of a , we are just using a regualr diaper service for the first month. I didn't have any newborn dipes anyway. I have mostly sugarpeas size ones. I want to recommend a dipe service if any of you is considering it. It is *so* convenient, and the dipes are super-soft. Plus we're not using covers or anything yet since the waste is so minimal right now... but don't worry, I am eager to get started with CUTE dipes! Do you have one picked out for Spawn?

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 05-06-2003, 08:41 PM

awwww!!! what a cutie!!!!

Old 05-06-2003, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
XM

Thank you for all your sweet replies. I have comforted myself with the fact that depending on wether one was counting from conception vs. date of LMP, I got 2 different dates. My 'other' due date was May 7 so I am adopting that one instead so I will not drive myself mad waiting for this babe to show up. Xiola was 10 days late and I don't know how much sanity I will have left in 10 more days so I had better re-calculate now. I'll just be a wreck if I am still pregnant on Mother's Day.

I have been feeling so good and then the last few days all the icky 3rd trimester stuff has been happening all at once, and I know nothing will make these symptoms go away except having the baby... as if I was'nt impatient enough to have the baby already!

Jean, your little man is just beautiful, and I hope I look half as good as you after this labor, you look so peaceful and relaxed. I forgot that you are doing diaper service this month... we bought 2 dozen Premie UBCPF's and *oh* are they tiny! First dipe will probably be a snappied UBCPF with a polarfleece liner for that meconium, not sure what cover... or maybe my sole sz1 red Kissaluv? Most of my fitteds won't fit for a bit, either. My hyena'ing will have to wait a few more weeks.

I am awaiting a S Fuz Easy and a S FuzBomb, I thought they'd be here before Spawn but now I'm not sure... maybe that's what the baby is waiting for, fancy covers? Is it possible to become a hyena in utero?

XM

(due May 7 )
Old 05-06-2003, 10:53 PM

Congrats to all the mommas that are snuggling their little ones Is it all boys so far??
I think I'll be the last one to go I'm not due till May 25. Anyone else due that late?

I've had such a wonderful pregnancy I'm so lucky, only recently have I had any of the common complaints, heartburn, sore and achy. Shiah totally spoiled me by coming early I keep telling myself this baby will be 2 weeks late so I don't get my hopes up for another early baby but it's really hard. The full moon is the 15th so maybe I'll get lucky

Take care all
Janessa
Old 05-07-2003, 12:36 AM

Congrats to all the new mamas!!! I'm due Mon,and getting super anxious. HOw many full moon babies does everyone think we'll get? I have the feeling quite a few!! ( I even have the feeling I may go 3 days late...please no....but thats what other keep saying).Hnag in there gals!
Old 05-07-2003, 01:19 AM

CONGRATULATIONS Jean and Jenn and Lindsay!!!! Hooray! I can't wait to hear more about your births. And Jean, what a wonderful little boy--he is so cute!!! And you look great too!

Maria: Thanks so much for your words of encouragement.

XM: Hang in there! I can only imagine how hard those last few days must be. Try to be in the moment as much as possible and recognize that this will unweave in its own wonderful way.

I too have been feeling that awful pain in my pelvic bones. It is worse at night and sometimes it is soooo hard to walk. Anyway, the dr told me today that that is a good thing--means I'm getting ready.

I just found out today that I tested positive for strep B. Really disappointed and trying to figure out what it all MEANS for my labor and my baby. Not what I'd hoped for us. But I have roughly 3 weeks before my due date to figure it out.

Janessa: You aren't alone. My EDD is 5/29.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:17 AM

Rebekah, are you open to herbal treatments for GBS? My midwife was talking about one that is commonly used in Sweden and known to be effective. I tested negative so I don't know much about it, but if you'd like some more info I can email her for you.

Full moon on the 15th, eh? DH wants the baby to be born on the 16th. This could get interesting..
Old 05-07-2003, 07:50 AM

hi all ~
Jean, love your page!!

good morning BR~ early morning insomnia like me or just an early riser?
I am also GBS + & always interested in more GBS info, so if you have time pls feel free to post more on the Swedish solution!
My MW mentioned a douche called Chlorhyxedine (sp?) that's being used in Europe, I wonder if it's the same thing? The Chlorhyxedine is available here in US by a brand name solution called Hibiclens, but it has alot of soaps & additives plus red dye 40 that makes it more irritating to use as a vag wash/douche.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So we have:

me due May 22,
Janessa May 25
Rebekah May 29

Bloodrayne trying for the 16th & Xm trying for right now!

who else?
Sunny Rose~ welcome, just saw your post, due 5/13? Can't count this early in AM!
going back to bed now girls, must get more sleep!
blessings, Maria
Old 05-07-2003, 10:07 AM

*sigh*

I have permanent insomnia it seems. :

I will email my midwife and ask her for more information. I usually hear from her the same day.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:04 PM

Just want to say this thread made me smile this morning - hooray to all you new mama's and soon to be new mama's in May!!!

Old 05-07-2003, 02:18 PM

Jean, what a cutie pie you have! And you are so organized...

Congratulations Lindsey! Sounds like you had a nice birth.

Well, here is the nutshell version of mine.
L&D was long. Water broke on Tuesday, April 28th at 6:45 am. No contractions all day. Admitted at 6:00 pm that evening. They tried to induce using cervadil, which is placed internally near the cervix. It fell out after 3 hours. They put in another dose. It did start the contractions, which were totally doable. But my cervix didn't progress past 2 cm. all night. So on Weds. morning they administered pitocin by IV. That really got the contractions going, but I wasn't opening up. Around 4 pm I couldn't see my weigh through the contractions anymore. I had been able to relax and breathe through them prior to that. So they gave me fentanyl, which takes the edge off, but you can still feel them. It wasn't enough. So I asked for an epidural. That was the ticket. I finally got that around 6 pm. Then I was able to get some sleep, and by 10 pm I had progressed from 3 cm to 10, and I was ready to push. Pushing for me was the easy part. I couldn't feel any pain, but could feel the sensation of pushing. It was great. And he arrived at 10:49 pm.
DH and I are so in love...

http://www.nexxjenn.com/CooperGageWeb/

Time to catch some winks...

Jenn L.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:52 PM

Congrats to all! I was a May mama last year and am about to celebrate my sweetie's first birthday. I wanted to post because May mamas are particularly in my heart as I remember the end of my own pregnancy and the birth of my beautiful daughter.

Lots of love and healthy birth / new mama vibes to all of you. XM, you're particularly in my heart.

User Tag List