My Uterus Measures Two Weeks Ahead at Each Appointment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2006, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and my uterus has consistently been measuring 2 weeks ahead of where I actually am. Does anyone know what this could mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 06:52 PM

I don't think it's a bad thing. Some women measure a few centimeters ahead or behind. The whole "your uterus should measure one centimeter for every week of pregnancy" is just a basic scale, just like the baby growth charts. Everyone grows at their own pace.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 12-28-2006, 07:43 PM

Agreed. It's plus or minus two centimeters generally. Also, some people just measure differently so you may measure right on everytime with nurse Jane and two cm smaller every time with Dr.Joe.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 12-28-2006, 08:16 PM

I think it has something to do with how fast your baby is growing and when in his/her growth spurts your appointments happen to be. My babies seem to grow like crazy for a week or two then take a break...I know this only by how my clothes fit and how the spaces between which I can squeeze change .

My first pregnancy with ds I measured two weeks ahead until 38 weeks when I mysteriously got "on track" for the pregnancy. This pregnancy, my midwife will manually feel my belly and guess my uterus to be a little lower than it "should" be for the weeks pregnant I am but when she measures with the tape, I'm spot on.

Guess I'm trying to say...totally normal, and the measurement is an "ish" thing.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:28 PM

twins?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgirl View Post
twins?
As I understand it, twins are usually indicated by a greater rate of growth, not a consistent lead on the expected measurements. But, I could be wrong. Seems more likely to me that this is just DCTM's natural variation on fundal height.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:08 PM

Also, later on they may get concerned and check to see if you have too much fluid around the baby. I think that it's usually more than just a couple of weeks more, though. Just a thought.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
Old 12-28-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by care_a_boo View Post
As I understand it, twins are usually indicated by a greater rate of growth, not a consistent lead on the expected measurements. But, I could be wrong. Seems more likely to me that this is just DCTM's natural variation on fundal height.
My thoughts exactly. Twins would be more than 2+ and the measurement would increase at each appt. I've been consistently measuring 2 weeks ahead for a while now and am not the slightest bit concerned. Ds was 8lbs 12oz and I probably measured big with him too but I wasn't positive on my dates so no one knows for sure. I think I just grow 'em nice and big and healthy.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ha -- Twins. Very funny. I think I would know by week 27 if that were the case. Thanks for all the comments. I guess it's nothing to worry about. If it turned out to be too much liquid, what would that mean? Does anyone know?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 PM

I measured 2 to 2.5 cm larger consistently, too. My son was big, but I already knew he would be! lol

He was 8 lbs. 11 oz., but had lost some weight. He was 22" and his head circumference was 14.5 ", so I figure he probably should have been just over 9 lbs. (which was actually SMALLER than I was expecting!)

I'm not sure about excess fluid...haven't had any experience with that...

Good luck!

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCToddlerMom View Post
Ha -- Twins. Very funny. I think I would know by week 27 if that were the case.
Quit laughing. I know folks who turned down routine ultrasound, measured perfectly on target each week, and had surprise twins at the homebirth. It happens! ;-)

However, I don't think that measuring 2 weeks ahead consistently is cause to think it's twins. Twin mamas typically have a higher rate of increase (measure 4 weeks ahead one week, 5 weeks ahead several weeks later, 7 weeks ahead a few weeks after that, etc). So, unless you have another reason to worry about it, I wouldn't worry! 2 weeks is NO BIG DEAL, since fundal height measurements have a +/- 3 week buffer.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I measured 4-6 weeks ahead consistently starting at 26 weeks with my first. I had excessive fluid and she was LGA, so that was why. I had her 2 weeks early and she was 9 lbs, 22 inches. I had a ton of amnio fluid.

I only measured 2-3 weeks ahead this last time and she was 8 lbs 9 oz, 21 inches. I had her at 39 weeks.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

Old 12-29-2006, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2 cm means nothing... that the baby is growing and consistently- you could do it all with just a piece of string- what you are looking for is growth and continued growth compared to the last time you were measured- things are ok

measures for twins is usually considerably larger I only make note of this because someone else previously mentioned twins--
to say that the English use to (I don't know if they still do) measure around rather than fundal height- one of their signs for twins was getting bigger around than 60 inches-
Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 AM

Like the pp said, 2 weeks ahead isn't much. I measured between 2 and 3 weeks ahead until recently and I am now closer to my due date. It got me all freaked out too, since we weren't too sure on dates. But, I've been reassured that it's well within the normal range and not to worry!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:25 PM

I measured three weeks ahead my entire first pregnancy and have been measuring 3-4 weeks ahead with this one. For me it means that I have big babies, I did have a little more amniotic fluid with the first one, but they are not seeing that with this one. I didn't have any trouble with delivery though even with big babies (we'll see with this one!), so hopefully you won't either and all is well!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 PM

everyone is different. i measure 1-2 ahead in the first tri. measure right on in sec. and measure 1-2 small in third.

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 PM

I measured right on at 12 weeks, but got increasingly "ahead" after that. First it was 2 or 3, then 4, then 6. For my 26 week appt., I measured 33 weeks. My midwife determined it to be that my uterus was actually higher than it "should" have been. At the last appt., I mentioned that I'd been feeling a little extra pressure low down. Turns out, the baby had "dropped" down and I measured 28 weeks at my 28 week appointment!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for easing my mind!

User Tag List