6 weeks pregnant and I can't sleep! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-31-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 6 weeks pregnant and seem to be suffering from insomnia and a bad cold. Has anyone found anything to help them sleep. I had the same problem when I was pregnant with my daughter who is 17 months old now, but it was okay to be exhausted the next day. Now I can't afford it and feel so run down with a toddler running around. Help!!
#2 of 6 Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 PM

I'm six weeks too, and I know where the insomnia is coming from. You also have a bad cold, which doesn't help either. What have you tried so far? Can you bundle up and take you and your toddler for a walk in the morning before her nap? More exercise may help you both - her with longer naps, you with sleeping. And the walk may help you clear your head? I don't know how sick you are though so perhaps this isn't a good idea. What about a warm shower/bath before bed and lavender oil (the real stuff!). I got insomnia along the way with both previous pregnancies. I think it's really part of the deal. You'll also realize how much sleep you don't need (you've probably realized that already with your 17mo) Try and not worry about not sleeping and perhaps turn it into "you" time by reading a book or writing in a journal. Good luck!

-H
#3 of 6 Old 01-01-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, it is just comforting to hear that someone else experiences the same thing. I have a cold and it is lingering for 4 weeks now, but it is fortunately just a cold. I will take your advice and go for a walk and try the lavender oil. Thank you!! Hope you get some sleep too!
#4 of 6 Old 01-01-2007, 02:20 PM

I had terrible insomnia for the 1st 16 weeks it was just miserible, I understand having to chase after a toddler too, and I couldn't even nap I would just lay there: I am so sorry that you are going through this, I found making a tea of lemon balm and chamomile would help a bit if I drank it throughout the day, also taking a calcium/magnesium suplement, or eating something like cheese or yogurt right before bed. Although if you have morning sickness that isn't so easy. A walk and sunshine durring the day is really good too!! Hang in there, you will sleep again! Just try and take care of yourself and go along with what your body is telling you!

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#5 of 6 Old 01-01-2007, 06:46 PM

unisom is safe during pregnany and will also help with morning sickness!
#6 of 6 Old 01-01-2007, 08:35 PM

I had 1st trimester insomnia both pregnancies too (I actually get more sleep in my 3rd---go figure! ) I found taking hot wheat filled bags scented with lavender to bed helped as did a quick shoulder or foot rub from DH. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page