Group B Strep...urine test symptoms...please help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out, I've scanned a TON of threads here and online info as well as talked to my MW and can't seem to find an answer that makes sense to me! I apologize in advance this is so long, I don't want to miss something incase it makes a difference!

I'm 32 weeks, about 2 weeks ago, and was having some major itching down there and swelling of my "parts" (would kinda come and go) so my MW took a swab, and it came back positive for strep-b, but nothing else was mentioned (found out that there was insufficient sample for the yeast test- I've never had a YI so I'm unsure of the symptoms but I don't have the cottage cheese like discharge).

My recent urine stick tests have been positive for leukocytes, and also has blood in it...indicating infection (got that part would GBS show up here as well as the swab?

MW gave me some herbal remedies for a UTI (assuming that's what it is based on stick test results) in addition to a month long regimen that is supposed to get rid of the GBS.

So, I've been doing the GBS treatment since I found out about the GBS and did another urine stick at today's appointment. Still had a high level leukocytes and even a higher concentration of blood- shouldn't this be decreasing? I thought this is what led us to the UTI diagnosis- which I've completed the course of treatment and feel no symptoms of...

From everything I've read GBS is pretty symptom less- and I know it can be there one day and gone the next...but why am I still itchy and swollen at times down there? And have some yellowish discharge. I haven't seen where it would throw off results of the stick test. Do you think there's more going on that we're (MW and I) am missing?

Sorry this is SO long, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on as I really want a healthy environment down there when I give birth, and can't seem to find answers anywhere, and I know there are a ton of great people on here who might have had something similar.

Any other thoughts on what could be going on? Thanks so much, I owe you big time if you've gotten this far!
#2 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 10:04 PM

I had a YI which was treated, but seemed to come back a few days later. I was itchy (with no discharge) and was miserable. I also had pain in my lower tummy. I tried the garlic cloves and acidophilus, but nothing worked. So my OB did a culture, and I was Strep positive as well, so he had me take Amoxil for 10 days (safe in pregnancy). It cleared up the itching in less than 2 days and the lower tummy pain went away as well. All this to say, I was weary of taking the meds, but glad I did cause I can't imagine having to go through the whole pregnancy like that!
#3 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 10:08 PM

There can be two separate issues here: the UTI and GBS.

Was your urine sent for culture? It should only take 48-72 hours for results.

GBS can colonize the bladder, but even if you're GBS positive from a vaginal swab, that doesn't mean your UTI is caused by GBS. If your UTI is caused by GBS, then that implies a heavy colonization and I would seriously consider antibiotics in labor.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#4 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both SO much for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
There can be two separate issues here: the UTI and GBS.

Was your urine sent for culture? It should only take 48-72 hours for results.
She didn't send the urine for a culture- just went by the results on the stick. I didn't know any better at the time and then today I was asking her about it. I told her that my research showed that it could be two seperate issues since UTIs are so common in pregnancy, and that I would feel more comfortable with a urine culture to know if the GBS was present or not. She told me most often if it was in the vagina that it was in the urine- not what I found to be true in my research. I don't even "know" if I had a UTI- I never had any symptoms besides having to go often which kinda goes with the territory.

ETA: I'm not sure if my white/red bllod cells would be present in the test strip or if that could be a sign of something else...

Quote:
GBS can colonize the bladder, but even if you're GBS positive from a vaginal swab, that doesn't mean your UTI is caused by GBS. If your UTI is caused by GBS, then that implies a heavy colonization and I would seriously consider antibiotics in labor.
Exactly why I asked her about it today, thanks SO much! We agreed to do a swab as well as urine culture when I was done with the month long course that is supposed to take care of the GBS, do you think I should have her do it sooner, or is it going to make a difference- I can't treat the GBS in my urine now it just might make a difference what I decide to do during labor.

I just really want to know whats going on- and find out my options and be able to fully research everything, that's why I'm a bit concerneed!

Thanks again mamas!
#5 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomom View Post
Thank you both SO much for the replies!

She didn't send the urine for a culture- just went by the results on the stick. I didn't know any better at the time and then today I was asking her about it. I told her that my research showed that it could be two seperate issues since UTIs are so common in pregnancy, and that I would feel more comfortable with a urine culture to know if the GBS was present or not. She told me most often if it was in the vagina that it was in the urine- not what I found to be true in my research. I don't even "know" if I had a UTI- I never had any symptoms besides having to go often which kinda goes with the territory.

ETA: I'm not sure if my white/red bllod cells would be present in the test strip or if that could be a sign of something else...

Exactly why I asked her about it today, thanks SO much! We agreed to do a swab as well as urine culture when I was done with the month long course that is supposed to take care of the GBS, do you think I should have her do it sooner, or is it going to make a difference- I can't treat the GBS in my urine now it just might make a difference what I decide to do during labor.

I just really want to know whats going on- and find out my options and be able to fully research everything, that's why I'm a bit concerneed!

Thanks again mamas!

Might want to cross post this on the birth professionals board and see what they have to say...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 8 Old 01-02-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
Might want to cross post this on the birth professionals board and see what they have to say...
Great suggestion, I just did- thank you!
#7 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM

I had a rather persistent yeast infection during this pregnancy that had no discharge or smell--just the itchiness and rather red, swollen labia. I tested negative for other all other bacteria both vaginally and in UT.

Some women will also swell down there due to contact dermatitis if the remedy(s) used for yeast or other problems cause irritation. The mucous membranes are particularly prone to this.

Good luck.
#8 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 AM

From what I know, having leukocytes show up on a test strip is very common in pregnancy and isn't neccesarily indicative of a problem.

Blood, however, is another issue. Your mw should definitely have sent a urine culture to the lab. Blood in the urine is not normal and needs to be taken seriously. You can have a UTI without having symptoms and you don't want it to turn into a kidney infection.

It also sounds to me like the GBS issue is separate, although I have heard that women prone to yeast and UTIs in pregnancy are for some reason more likely to be GBS positive.

Good luck!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page