Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have not but its no big deal if it's just a little

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • I have not, I think you should stay AWAY from alcohol while your pregnant

Votes: 54 28.7%

Alcohol if you are pregnant???

4K views 100 replies 86 participants last post by  DragonflyBlue 
#1 ·
I have 3 friends that are pregnant, 2 have told me that they drink beer "occasionally" while they are prego...
I think it is a terrible idea, I crave a good drink, but I can wait for the sake of my baby. I push away several meds while I am prego too, these mama's take whatever "if they dont feel good" The other mama is in agreeance with me, we do NOT touch alcohol.

I was wondering if you mama's would disclose whether or not you touch alcohol while prego...

I mean, are you for it or against, did you do it or not do it?
Little background one is almost 5 months, the other is almost 7 months.

See less See more
#77 ·
I didn't respond to the poll since my answer wasn't really there. I'm a better safe than sorry type and had no alcohol while pregnant with my first child. This time around I sampled one tiny sip--about a tablespoon of my FIL's wine (my only chance!) and a super tiny sip of a new liquer my friend had--less than a teaspoon, both in my 3rd trimester. I also am not ruling out the glass of wine my midwife sometimes suggests in early labor.

#78 ·
This has turned into some heat...

I drank before I knew I was pregnant, but never got drunk. Then I didn't drink my entire 1st trimester. I had a half a glass of red wine at a winter solstice party, and shared a beer with my DH over New Years. I was around friends and peers, and none of them gave me nasty looks.

I also agree that drinking lots of soda, caffine, diet drinks, artificial everything is a lot worse for you than an occasional drink.

I was reading a study, I think it was in NY Times, about pregnancy and drinking- There have been no studies done between women who drink a lot in pregnancy and women who drink sometimes. Also, I read that in Europe it is completely normal for a pregnant woman to drink a beer or glass of wine while pregnant- but they give her crap for eating salad! I haven't asked my OB about drinking an occasional drink- really I just don't want to bring it up because I live in an ubber conservative state (Utah) who's major population is anti-alcohol. But, my friend asked her Dr and he told her one drink per day is OK with him. I'd never drink that much. I limit myself to once or twice a month, and never, ever more than one.

#81 ·
OK, w/all three pregnancies, i drank/drunk at least once before i knew i was pg.
1st pg, i had a total of 3 beers throughout and one glass of wine while in labor.
2nd pg, i had a few beers/glasses of wine, maybe one a month during 2nd & 3rd trimesters
3rd pg, i have tried to have a glass of wine here or there, but didn't like it, and have had a few brandy alexanders over christmas time, maybe 4 total.
My feeling is, if you have ONE drink during a timeperiod, with food, it wouldn't be enough to do any damage.
Usually, i think i want the drink, then start drinking it and don't want it any more anyway... it is probably more of a mental thing...

#82 ·
I'd love to see anyone quoting that they work with FASD or FAS persons (or anyone else for that matter) to show studies that can conclusively prove that FAS/D has been scientifically "proven" to have been caused by mother's alcohol abuse alone. I've yet to see a mother lead a perfect lifestyle except for alcohol (i.e. no non-organics, no additives, no meds at all, nothing that didn't come straight from the ground and proven safe for our bodies) so who is to say which caused the symptoms? And to what extent are the symptoms psychological due to our society and its current take son parenting/education? ADHD wasn't nearly as prevalent until we began expecting children to sit for tests that would have most adults squirming in their seats.

To answer the question, yes, I would and do drink occasionally while pg. I've had about 2 glasses for special occasions (I got married being one) and I've had a 1/2 glass to a glass here and there due to PTL. I'd rather put a bit of wine in than terbutaline, etc.

And for where I'm comibng from, I worked with FAS/D-type kids all day long for quite some time....I never met one that could be conclusively said to have FAS because I never met a mom like the one I mention above (i.e. perfect).

#83 ·
I agree with a lot of you that the "pregnancy police" attitude is very irritating and condescending...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
I'm confused about the correlation that some are drawing between the occassional glass of wine and alcohol abuse during pregnancy. I totally respect those who are of the opinion that they'd rather not drink any alcohol during pregnancy. But I don't get where the "I know someone who was a drunk during pregnancy and her kids were harmed, therefore no one should be permitted to drink AT ALL."

When we're talking about those who choose to have a glass of wine or a beer on occassion, I don't see why the fearmongering about FAS. I agree with the posters who have said they're more worried about aspartame or food additives than small amounts of alcohol. (The reason I say this is because alcohol has been consumed for thousands of years, while the others are relatively new and the effects are more unknown.)
ITA - I don't think anyone would say that getting drunk everyday is a good idea - but I have yet to see a study the PROVES one drink occasionally is enough to do any damage to a fetus. I totally understand that FAS and FAE are serious and real concerns - but, from what I have seen, these are caused by more than occasional drinking.

Nobody is perfect, you pick and choose your risks - I might have an occasional glass of wine or beer (no hard alcohol) with food during pg - but I refuse to eat McDonalds or other fast food, limit my caffeine, don't eat/drink artificial sweetners, try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup, etc. Nobody sits around and criticizes a pg woman eating a tuna fish sandwich - even though moderate amounts of mercury has been proven to be harmful to the developing fetus - people trust that she is not eating large amounts of tuna every day and is being cautious and making a safe decision for her baby - why do we not have the same attitude about alcohol?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danelle78 View Post
Not until they put pregnant women in a bubble and control all life factors and ingestion of all food will be know the true effects of alcohol on a fetus. All this hoopla about alcohol I believe is to cover Dr.'s butts, insurance-wise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen25gen View Post
While I don't think any of us sees drinking heavily prenatally as okay, I do think American culture in general goes overboard on this issue. I understand why its recommended to abstain from all alcohol, but I still think our culture can get a little too preachy. I'm definately not advocating for a person to drink daily while pregnant or binge drink heavily, but I don't see the harm in an occaisional glass of wine or something like that.
ITA with both the above

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post
I have had a drink or two during pregnancy and nursing. I have no problem with my clients having a drink or two. That said, I don't tell people it's OK, because who knows if I am giving permission to someone with a drinking problem, kwim?

I understand the damage that alcohol can cause, but remember the amount passed on to the fetus is very, very, very small and with one drink probably not very detectable.

I am much more worried about my clients that are exposed to chemicals (like hairdressers, farmers, etc.), eat lots of stuff with artificial colorings, use diet stuff, etc. That stuff is scary!

There's a big difference between having a drink to celebrate and having an alcohol problem. I don't think the two can be compared.
There are many other things that are more harmful to a fetus than small amounts of alcohol - yet alcohol seems to be the one thing that people get most worked up about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I was reading a study, I think it was in NY Times, about pregnancy and drinking- There have been no studies done between women who drink a lot in pregnancy and women who drink sometimes. Also, I read that in Europe it is completely normal for a pregnant woman to drink a beer or glass of wine while pregnant- but they give her crap for eating salad! I haven't asked my OB about drinking an occasional drink- really I just don't want to bring it up because I live in an ubber conservative state (Utah) who's major population is anti-alcohol. But, my friend asked her Dr and he told her one drink per day is OK with him. I'd never drink that much. I limit myself to once or twice a month, and never, ever more than one.
Here is a link to the study in NYT - in case anyone is interested.

I think this is a very personal decision that each woman needs to make for herself - I respect (and understand the reasons behind) those who choose to abstain completely, and I also respect the decision of those (like me) who have read the studies, weighed the risks, and believe it is safe to indulge in one drink (with food) occasionally during pregnancy. I don't believe anyone should be criticized for either of the above decisions. Obviously, we are not talking about excessive drinking here - that is a completely different issue.

#84 ·
I haven't read this whole thread, but I imagine that my response is similar to the responses of a lot of people. I haven't been drinking alcohol throughout my pregnancy, but I never really drank all that much or often before I got pregnant (maybe a drink or two every couple of months), either, so it's not like it's been a huge adjustment for me.

I don't think that small to moderate amounts of alcohol are likely to permanently damage a developing fetus, especially later in pregnancy, but at the same time, I wouldn't give alcohol to an infant, so I'm not going to give it to my unborn baby, EVEN THOUGH the amount the baby would receive is negligible. I don't enjoy alcohol or its effect enough to take even the tiniest risk. It's just not my thing. *shrug*

That said, I wouldn't judge someone for drinking a glass of wine or some beer, here and there.

#86 ·
I had an occasional glass of wine with dd#1 (perhaps 10-12 through entire pgcy) and she's no worse off for it. This time I've been drinking about a glass of wine (or beer) a week since the end of my first trimester (always with a meal). On Christmas I had a mimosa and there were a few days where I had 1/2- 1 full glass of wine a few nights in a row last week. I am sure I had some sips here and there throughout the first trimester as well.

#87 ·
In moderation a glass of wine or beer is just fine in pregnancy. If the person drinks quite a bit normally it can actually be dangerous to the baby to stop cold-turkey. I've spent the last few years studying drugs (legal and illegal) and their effects and moderate consumption of alcohol is fine during pg. What's not fine is drinking it every day if you didn't usually do it (French women, for example, are used to drinking wine every day and so they can drink one glass a day during pg with no problems).

It also depends on body weight and build. I would never drink an entire glass of wine in one sitting during pg because I'm pretty small. Half a glass no more than once every week or further apart (once a month - if at all - would be much more likely than once a week for me) wouldn't worry me though.

love and peace.

#90 ·
I've had a half glass of wine on a couple of occaisions during this pregnancy and with DD. Only in the third trimester, only half a glass, and only on a full stomach.

#91 ·
I drank nothing at all with ds and with this one, I had one sip of wine at about 14 weeks (tasting it since folks really wanted me to also try the fab wine they brought, and I did not feel bad about this teaspoon of wine). I may have one glass of wine at graduation (I am scheduled to get my PhD 3 days before my due date.

But, with the exception of one drink, once in the thrid trimester or amounts so minute once or twice, I really think it is wrong to drink while pg.

We had a friend who I met in a moms group. Based on my training, I felt their daughter had signs of fetal alcohol posioning. Another mom brought up drinking whil pg once and this mom chimed in that it was okay and she had regularly had three beers in one night throughout her pregnancy and look how great her daughter turned out! I felt sick.

#92 ·
I didn't vote because I don't want to skew your results, but I have had a few sips every month (wine, beer, champagne). Literally, 2 sips at Thanksgiving, 3 sips at Christmas, etc.

Ultimately I don't believe that even a glass of wine (or similar) on occasion is harmful, but I'm not much of a drinker, so a sip here or there has been plenty for me.

I have had some non-alcoholic beers though (which are "less than .5% alcohol by volume
). Then again, I am sure the sauerkraut and kefir I eat/drink is at least that!

#93 ·
Personally, I had a glass of wine occasionally while pg with dd. I very quickly realized though that the taste was too off for me to enjoy even one glass. I love drinking wine when not pg and am a bit of an affecionado, but while pg, the wine nearly always tasted "turned." Too vinegary.
This time I won't drink, for that reason, although I would have a glass while in labor if recommeded by MW.

#94 ·
Personally I don't consider it a "risk" at all to have a few sips a couple of times during pregnancy.

A nice glass of wine during labor can really help a mama calm and center herself for the work ahead.

I have had a half a glass of wine a few days after I found out I was pg (4th of July) and a sip of a mixed drink for my birthday in Oct. (I ordered virgin for myself). I had a few sips of dh's beer last week while making dinner (mmm, the first sip right out of the fridge is yummy but after that it just tastes nasty). I think that's it. I didn't have any on New Years - had chocolate instead

Mandy

#95 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChelseaG
Here is a link to the study in NYT - in case anyone is interested.

Thank you for posting this article link. I never actually asked my OB about drinking while pregnant, and didn't drink while knowingly pregnant with either of my first two sons. With this pregnancy, I've had an occasional glass of wine (during the holidays). For the most part, alcohol turns my stomach and I have no desire to even taste anything, though.

My sister asked her Dr about drinking while pregnant and he told her that it was fine, and that as long as she didn't feel tipsy, then the baby didn't feel it, either. She lives in Montreal, though, and her OB is the head of OB-GYN at the medical school there - he's very 'old-school' and has seen it all over the past 50 years, or so
:

#96 ·
Hmmmm....I have no trouble with a small glass of wine now or then (say at a special event, wedding, holiday...that sort of thing). When I'm not pregnant I have red wine with dinner probably 4 nights a week, and a beer with friends on Friday. While pregnant I have that above mentioned "special day" glass of wine. I've seen two care providers (one last pregnancy, and an OB this time for a higher risk pregnancy) and both have said that the ocassional glass of wine would be fine....neither provider is terribly old, so it may not be a generational thing.

I certainly wouldn't suggest drinking heavily, or on a daily basis while pregnant, but I really think the American "pregnancy fear" mentality has gotten out of control. The lists of foods/drinks that you can or can't have while pregnant is crazy IMO. Other countries seem to be much more laid back about wine, olives, feta, raw milk, raw fish, etc...and they still "score" better than the US in terms of infant/mother health.

I think this country needs to focus more on creating a healthy and nurturing relationship with food/drink for everyone over their entire lifespan instead of just encouraging pregnant women to feel like they are somehow "at risk" or "especially delicate" simply because they are pregnant.

But that's me

#97 ·
I'm not a big drinkewr anyway, so I haven't had a drop since being pregnant (excpt probably week 1 or 2 that I was preganant and didn't know it.... I had gone to a party and had 2 cocktails!)

I think wine and beer are probably more natural than if one was to eat a big mac, loaded with trans fats and a whole lot of crap that, IMO, would be much more harmful than a small glass of wine. It's too bad this country adds sulfates to our wine to preserve shelf life, but if you can get a clean, unprocessed, organic wine with no sulfates, a small glass would probably be safe.

I'm serious about the quality of food people eat in this country. If you lean organic, eat fruits, veggies and stay away from fast food, processed food etc, and have a glass of wine or two, I bet you would be in much better health and safer for baby than if you ate crappy, processed food day in and day out.

#98 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChelseaG View Post
There are many other things that are more harmful to a fetus than small amounts of alcohol - yet alcohol seems to be the one thing that people get most worked up about.
I'm sure that this is not unrelated to the fact that alcohol abuse is stigmatized in the US. People that have issues with alcohol here are often looked down upon and are even held in contempt.

It is relatively acceptable socially for one to get up on a high horse about alcohol-related issues, and that includes any and all imbibing during pregnancy (no matter how minimal).

In this society, a mother that drinks the occasional beer or glass of wine during pregnancy is seen as having no control or no care for her unborn child, while a mother that eats at McDonalds is just having an occasional indulgent snack.

#99 ·
I never drank with my first, had one glass of wine per midwifes orders with my 2nd (preterm labor...one dinrk and a hot bath stopped it), never had any with my 3rd (she was a surro baby and I woud never do something the parents asked me to not do...I didnt drink any caffiene during that pregnancy either and listened to baby mozart every day, lol), and I think I had one or two drinks with my last baby but I cant remember for sure. I dont see a problem with the occasional glass of wine or beer or eggnog

#100 ·
Not an American, and over here it isn't even an issue. The advice is to consider avoiding in the first trimester and after that to stay well within a safe number of units per week (14-21.) I have yet to see any evidence that suggests that the US has a lower incidence of FAS than the UK or other European countries? Does it exist?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.