Please give me your ideas for Baby Shower for baby #2! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am posting this here and in life with a babe. But really want some great ideas for this party. Here is the 411:

Mom is having baby #2. Another girl. Doesn't need or want any gifts. Other hostess and I want to have a "Celebrate Mom and Baby to Be" party. Here are our ideas. Let me know if you have been to something similar and share what you really liked.

1. In lieu of gifts - have guests bring a "consumable" item - such as diapers (mom will not cd), wipes, etc. Any ideas here?

2. Present mom with a "meal delivery" calendar for after baby is born.

3. I want to do an activity the "celebrates" her pregnancy. I was thinking "Belly Cast" - but too involved for this crowd. My next best idea is "belly painting". Everyone paint a "welcome" to baby on moms belly. Take a pic and frame the pic for mom. Really looking for other cool ideas here. Help?

OK - that is all I've come up with. Not much time. Party is 1 month away. HELP US GIVE THIS MOM AND BABY A GREAT CELEBRATION!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The consumables and/or meals is a great idea. Also maybe a baby book, if the mom kept one for her other children. Another idea would be chore certificates - for good friends to come over and do laundry or clean. Also restaurant or delivery gift certificates.

Regarding the belly painting - Currently being 38 weeks pregnant about the LAST thing I'd want is to expose by stomach and let a bunch of people paint on me! (I wouldn't want people painting on me at anytime, though.) I'd tread very carefully on that one and ask the mother before hand about the idea. Maybe painting a shirt instead? Or a baby blanket? Or just taking photos of the shower and framing them in general.
#3 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 03:25 PM

What about passing a special book around for people to write blessings for mama and baby? or you could do a birth/new mama necklace where everyone bring a special bead to encourage her to have a safe/joyous birth/journey as a new mama again.
#4 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Buy a bunch of plain white onesies and some fabric paints and have the guests each decorate a onesie for the new baby.
#5 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM

What a sweet idea, I think every baby should be celebrated!

I personally, would prefer the meals! I've heard of people bringing a meal to put in the freezer for after the baby comes.

I just had a shower for my neighbor and I made a scrapbook page for everyone to sign good wishes and congratulations. (I knew she's a scrapbooker though, if she wasn't that might not work.) But you could also do a frame with a matte and have everyone sign the matte. Then take a group pic at the shower and put it in the frame.

My favorite idea ever though, was for everyone to make a quilt square and sew them together to give to the mom for a baby blanket. That's so sweet!

Good luck and have fun! I'd love to hear what you wind up doing.
#6 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 09:06 PM

I am one of the last in my mommy group to get pregnant with number 2 so I have been to quite a few 2nd baby showers lately. We mostly do diaper/wipes showers for our group. I am the only cder.

I love the meals idea. My church group does that for new babies, and I can't tell you how much it helped when my son was born. Just make sure that the meals are spaced out enough for them not to have leftovers go to waste. If they have another freezer, then everyone can just bring them to freeze though.

We have also done a shower mommy and baby shower. Everyone brings pampering items for mom and baby. Mom gets nice lotions or comfy socks/slippers or whatever, and baby gets lotion or bath stuff.

I think teas are always fun, too. You can have a tea party and people can bring any of the above items or whatever. I will use any excuse to throw a girly tea party though.

Have fun planning!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page