anterior placenta mamas - let's talk about kicks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i heard that if you have an anterior placenta, (i do) it works like a "muffler" and ya don't feel the kicks as strong as the other mamas do.

i am 23 weeks and i still feel it only as "flutters" not kicks. of course it's more frequent and more pronounced as time goes on but still pretty light!

any mamas have one anterior baby and a second NOT anterior - can you tell us, is there a difference in how much you feel? is it true that it's a muffler?

and any other anterior mamas, have you felt anything stronger than a flutter -- and will it happen eventually, just LATER than the other mamas? did you just feel stuff LATER than everyone else....or.......?

whew! hope that made sense.

thankful even for the *flutters* of course

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#2 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 09:03 PM

i had an anterior placenta w/ ds1 and a posterior placenta with ds2.

with ds 1 i didn't feel movement until much later - i mean no movement *at all* until about, oh, 22-24 weeks. then i felt my first definative "thump" about 28-30. movement did get much mroe pronounced as the pregnancy progressed, but i still never felt as much as the girl i worked with due @ the same time as me.

ds2 i felt everything, and early. i had movement that i was feeling confirmed on ultrasound at 12 weeks (that was *not* the reason for the u/s :P). i felt *everything*, and it was a *TOOOOOON* more than ds1. i will say, though, that his movements became painful at about 30 or 32 weeks, and i was quite blessed w/ ds 1 that his movements never hurt. ds2 was quite good at kicking hard in places that hurt.

Liv
#3 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 PM

I have an anterior placenta. I felt kicks on a regular basis at 18 weeks, but only when I was laying on my side. I never felt (and still haven't at 34 weeks) kicks in the front. When I lay on my side, it squishes him to the other side, so it's easier to feel him move. So every night when I lay down, I'm slammed with kicks. Everyone tries to put their hand on my belly to feel him, and they don't understand that he just doesn't kick in the "usual" places. Now that I'm so far along, I definitely feel more movement.
#4 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
i heard that if you have an anterior placenta, (i do) it works like a "muffler" and ya don't feel the kicks as strong as the other mamas do.
I have a low lying anterior placenta and feel a great deal of movement and have since about 12-13 weeks. My husband has been able to feel the movement with his hands for about 6-7 weeks now.
#5 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
I have a low lying anterior placenta and feel a great deal of movement and have since about 12-13 weeks. My husband has been able to feel the movement with his hands for about 6-7 weeks now.
How far along are you now?
#6 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 PM

I have an anterior placenta with this one, and I felt movements but they were 'muffled', as you say. I could eventually feel kicks, but mostly on the 'inside', not through the front of my tummy. However, sometimes as your uterus expands the placenta shifts; it's still attached to the same spot of the wall, but as the uterus enlarges it doesn't cover the whole front anymore. I now (28 weeks) feel ridiculously strong kicks very frequently, and often see it kicking through the front of my belly. So, as your pregnancy progresses you will likely feel it much more strongly. With my first, I didn't feel anything until 22 weeks anyway.
A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#7 of 19 Old 01-14-2007, 11:27 PM

This is my first anterior baby and I find movement totally different than it was for the other two. With the other ones, I started feeling movement around 16 weeks and felt progressively stronger as time went on. This time I had movement a couple of times around 20 weeks then NOTHING for days at a time, and I'm now (at 25 weeks) feeling movement more regularly, but still not nearly as strong as I did with my previous pgs... it's sort of nerve-wracking (well, less so now) but once I knew about where the placenta was, I felt much better about everything. I do feel sort of like I am missing out on a special part about being pg (especially as this is my last baby) but movement is much stronger these past couple of weeks.
#8 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 12:48 AM

This is my 3rd anterior baby and I think that it just takes longer to feel the kicks. I feel movement on the inside but it is much harder for anyone else to feel her. Patience is the key... and don't worry!
#9 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The placenta is anterior for me this time, and definately, the sense of movement is different. In the teen-weeks and up through the early 20s, I might only occasionally have felt a fluttering movement towards the sides. Nothing at all in the front - except of course a nice strong placenta pulse if I laid on my belly or pressed it very hard, lol. After I was big enough, I began feeling more significant movement to the sides, the top, and inside low (my bladder and cervix, lol.) Now baby might push out the front in a visible but broad way. He'll push out to the side in a more defined way, and I still feel movement most in the top portion of my uterus and down low into my hips bones, but the position of the baby is such, this is probably what I'd feel at this point even if the placenta were posterior.
#10 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
I am 29 weeks with my second anterior placenta but this one is low lying. I feel alot of very strong kicks. I even see elbows or knees move across my belly. The strong movements started at about 23-24 weeks
#11 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 AM

I have a superior anterior placenta & this one feels very different. Alexa was anterior too, but I think it was lower & I recall feeling her move more strongly. (I am also heavier this time. I never lost any baby weight from her.) My placenta also looked HUGE on US this time. All those things, I am just now beginning to feel movement strongly & that is only when I am sitting still.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#12 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 AM

High (or at least far from the lower segment) anterior placenta here, and I am just now at 30 weeks starting to feel movement on the level that I remember from my other children. I felt nearly nothing til 18-20 weeks, occasional flutters up til ~24 weeks, consistent but small and less frequent movements up to this week. The movement I did feel earlier on was all very low, and still now I feel more very low or very high than in the center.

I felt movement around 14 weeks with baby #2, so it's been really different. I expressed some concern to my midwife, but she said what others have, that placentas can really be pretty big and thick, enough to pad a lot of movements that I would have otherwise felt, especially while the baby is smaller.
#13 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM

With both babes I've had anterior placentas (we're assuming on this one, haven't had an ultrasound yet - but we can feel/hear my heartbeat right on the front)... and while I felt kicks several weeks earlier with this baby - they are still, at 19 weeks, very light, and low - and off to the sides. Haven't felt a kick in front yet, and with my first, I don't speicifically remember lots of kicks in front, until she was really large (like in the last month, just from shifting - you know, when you can start to see body parts poking through.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#14 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 03:19 PM

This is my first Anterior Placenta and let me tell you I just started feeling his kick up front and I'm 30 weeks. this worried the heck out of me too, but as soon as the ultrasound tech said that the placenta was up front and that there is about 6 cm of placenta and other body parts cushioning his kicks, it all made sense to me. But really, she should have told me at my first ultrasound, given my history, we lost our first baby at 39 weeks for unknown reasons and the first sign was no movement.
So naturally i was freaked during the mid twenty weeks with this pregnancy, I thought I should for sure be feeling kicks by now. Anyhow, I didn't get confirmation until week 29 that I had a Anterior Placenta. I am now feeling him kick, but still not as strong as my first baby, she was very active and I could feel her kicks by week 19. It was strange to, during my ultrasound with this baby, I could see him move on the screen, but I still couldn't feel it.

So dont' worry, as soon as the baby gets stronger he will be kicking up a storm.
#15 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

thank you ladies

as usual i learn SO much here!

also thats very interesting about the pulse in the placenta, i guess i "knew" that but it didn't really occur to me -- when i put my hand on my belly i DO feel a strong pulse, but i didnt realize that was the placenta! cool!

fascinating!

(BTW if i ever need to feel a flutter i just have to eat something - usually after one bite he is bopping around -- is this common?)

thanx

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#16 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 06:57 PM

I had an anterior placenta with DD and barely felt movement the entire pregnancy. I never saw movement either. Dh was able to feel her ONCE the entire pregnancy.

This pregnancy, my placenta is posterior. There is a world of difference in how much movement I can feel (and even see this time).
#17 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM

My MW told me I have an anterior placenta. This is my first baby so I cannot compare to previous children but with my baby I feel movement on my sides, rarely if ever on the front. I especially feel kicks and such when I am laying down. I too did not feel too much movement in the beginning until about 32 weeks, that is when it really started to pick up. Now I am 37 weeks and I feel movement ALOT everyday. The most is low on my pelvis where the baby's head is located.
#18 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
My placenta also looked HUGE on US this time.
LOL - I was saying this same thing at the ultrasounds this pregnancy! Looked enormous to me The doctor told me it was all about the perspective of the pictures with the placenta in the front. When the baby was in front of it in my last pregnancy, it was roughly the same size, but we just saw very little of it, lol
#19 of 19 Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

now, i might clarify, i only seem to feel movement at the front, below and all around my belly button area, and it always seems to be in the same general place! esp. when i eat, its always there, below the belly button, lots of flutters

???

who knows? i guess there are lots of variations when they say "anterior" ??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page