34 weeks, preterm labor signs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been high risk due to an incompetent cervix. I had a cerclage put in at 23 weeks and have been on bedrest since then. At 30/31 weeks I began to dilate and efface and now I'm 2.5 cm/50% effaced.

Well, baby is definitely head down, 0 station, and my belly is definitely lower. My BH ctx haven't gotten worse but I'm getting really sharp vaginal pulling/twinging sensations. Any ideas as to what's going on? It's my first pregnancy (a boy!) and I have no idea what to expect. Thanks mamas.
#2 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Banned

I honestly don't know what advice to offer because I've never been in your position--with the cerclage, etc--but I wanted to tell you something my doc said at my ob appt. yesterday so that maybe it'll ease your mind a little bit.

My due date is officially June 8, but my kids (all of them) have been born exactly 21 days early. So, when my doc mentioned something about "another June baby", I said, "Think what you want, but I'm having this baby in May."

His response was, "Well, you can have this baby any time you want--after 35 weeks, just so she's done baking."

So, if you're in your 34th week...even if you're having pre-term labor, everything should still be ok.

good luck!!!
#3 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I did see the doctor today, he'd like for me to hold out another week but he did say if labor starts he and my other doctors wouldn't intervene to stop it. At 34 weeks he says baby will be healthy but require a NICU stay for a week, at 35 weeks I'll have a "take home" baby.

My BH and vaginal pressure are getting worse every hour, at this point I'm just waiting for either my water to break or for real contractions to start.

This discomfort is no fun though and I'd love to meet baby already but I know Nicolas needs to stay in as long as possible.
#4 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesnap View Post
Thanks! I did see the doctor today, he'd like for me to hold out another week but he did say if labor starts he and my other doctors wouldn't intervene to stop it. At 34 weeks he says baby will be healthy but require a NICU stay for a week, at 35 weeks I'll have a "take home" baby.
Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule about preemies. There are 36 week babies with breathing difficulties that require a long NICU stay, and 34 weekers that require just a few days. My friend's son was a 34 weeker that required a ventilator and was on oxygen for several weeks. His NICU stay was 30 days. I don't want to say that to frighten you, but just that it may be the reality of the situation for a 34 or 35 weeker. My 33 weeker was in 23 days. My older daughter, 36 weeks, wasn't in at all. You might want to come and visit the preemie/NICU forum here, it is so warm and supportive and people can give you so much advice and personal experiences.
#5 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 10:30 PM

I went into labor with my 4yr old at 28 weeks the first time. I just had the feeling "something just isn't right" and my lower back had an achy pressure feel, pressure in my lower pelvic area. I went straight to the docs and they hooked me up for a few minutes to see what was happening and sure enough I was contracting every 2 minutes and didn't realize it. I was 50% effaced and 3 cm dialated. My labor was stopped and steriod shots given to mature his lungs, I went into labor 3 or 4 more times, but held out until 38wks and had a perfectly healthy boy! Trust your instincts, if you don't feel right about it, then go to an ER. Good Luck!
#6 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 PM

i dont know if your allowed to take a bath but it may give you some relief from the pain.....

i hope you can hold out for a coulpe more weeks though!
#7 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule about preemies. There are 36 week babies with breathing difficulties that require a long NICU stay, and 34 weekers that require just a few days. My friend's son was a 34 weeker that required a ventilator and was on oxygen for several weeks. His NICU stay was 30 days. I don't want to say that to frighten you, but just that it may be the reality of the situation for a 34 or 35 weeker. My 33 weeker was in 23 days. My older daughter, 36 weeks, wasn't in at all. You might want to come and visit the preemie/NICU forum here, it is so warm and supportive and people can give you so much advice and personal experiences.
As reassuring as my OBs words were, ITA with what you said - there's always a possibility that Nico will be in the NICU and for longer than we'd hope for and for complications we'd hope to avoid. I'm of course worried and I want the best for him, I just don't know how much longer my body will cooperate. Thanks for the advice and I will be checking the preemie/nicu forum!
#8 of 9 Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesnap View Post
Wow - I'm surprised to hear that! Well, let's hope the little guy can stay in there for at least another week! I hope the pain eases for you

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#9 of 9 Old 01-19-2007, 12:29 AM

I'm almost 30 weeks and also in PTL. Contractions started at 27 weeks every two minutes apart --- effacing but not dialating yet. Hopefully. My doc has told me two different things. She said that stabbing pain in your cervix can be a sign of cervical changes but later on has said it is more than likely your ligaments and muscles changing. I am having it often this past week and scared to death that I'm going to be dialated 3 cm or more at my appointment on Monday. It honestly feels like my body is "ready" more than it was 3 weeks ago. And if one more person says "OMG - you are so low - are you due tomorrow" I'm going to have to scream.

So anyway - from what I know which is very little - it could go either way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page