Progesterone levels in early pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!
I just found out that I am joining all of you! I had a blood test yesterday that confirmed I'm pregnant and had my progesterone drawn. My level came back at 10.6, which appears to be a the lower end of normal. I'm not sure if I should talk to the midwife on call this weekend to find out if I need to be on progesterone, or if it makes any difference to wait until monday? I've had a few really early miscarriages so I'm a little nervous! Just curious what others experience with this is and if I should call them. Thanks!

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2007, 01:30 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Your progesterone does seem to be a bit low.

This is from a chart on hormone levels..

Progesterone (P4) 7 dpo > 15 ng/ml A progesterone test is done to confirm ovulation. When a follicle releases its egg, it becomes what is called a corpus luteum and produces progesterone. A level over 5 probably indicates some form of ovulation, but most doctors want to see a level over 10 on a natural cycle, and a level over 15 on a medicated cycle. There is no mid-luteal level that predicts pregnancy. Some say the test may be more accurate if done first thing in the morning after fasting.

I would call and ask about getting on some type of progesterone support. It's just not worth taking a chance waiting until Monday. Good luck to you!
Old 01-20-2007, 01:49 PM

My level was that low with my son. I did not get supplements and he turned out perfect. My OB at the time said that she thought progesterone supplements did not work, that they were way overused and that most people don't need them. I do believe though that different OBs and midwives have a different take on them. It cannot hurt to call, but don't be too concerned if she says no to supplements.

In any event, progesterone fluctuates a lot during the day- in the morning it is lowest and after exercise, it is lower than normal.

Congrats on your pregnancy.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Update: talked to my midwife, they are putting me on some progesterone. She also added a quantitative level to my blood they drew yesterday and it came back at 20. So I'm having my blood redrawn tomorrow to make sure it has doubled. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

Old 01-21-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkg4dmcrc View Post
My level was that low with my son. I did not get supplements and he turned out perfect. My OB at the time said that she thought progesterone supplements did not work, that they were way overused and that most people don't need them. I do believe though that different OBs and midwives have a different take on them. It cannot hurt to call, but don't be too concerned if she says no to supplements.
I think it's important to note that she has a history of early miscarriages, and the use of progesterone can prevent that. I have low progesterone and a history of early m/c as well...I've used prog. supps in both of my pregnancies. I'd rather err on the side of caution!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, started the progesterone yesterday and boy does it make me dizzy, almost like I'm drunk! I got up at 4am this morning to take it since I didn't think it was a good idea to take it and go right to work. I get my hcg level redrawn today, so hopefully we'll see things doubling. Thanks for all the responses.

User Tag List