Moving while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did any of you move to a different house or apartment while pregnant, particular during the 3rd trimester?

Was the experience positive or negative?

Did you find it challenging to set up your new place since you were not supposed to lift heavy things?

In restrospect, would you do it again? Any advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 05:56 PM

I moved when I was very pregnant, and had no problems.

I had no lifting restrictions and lifted things I could lift normally. Heck, I wore my 30 pound toddler all nine months.

I would definitely do it again. It beats doing it with a newborn.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:00 PM

We moved 2 weeks before my last baby was due and it was a little hard and stressful but we managed. I didn't lift too much and just did most of the packing/unpacking and let DH and his friends do the heavy stuff.

We are moving again within the next few weeks but not as close to my due date this time. I'd much rather get it over with now and get organized and settled in before the baby comes. There's no way I could move with a newborn (plus 3 young children) after having a c-section so I'm more than happy to do it now.

It's nice cause it will likely make the last few weeks go faster as we'll be busy but it is tiring and I told DH we need to move NOW before I can't bend over and am too exhausted to do anything.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've moved during both my pgs, Dh and I joke that all I have to do to get pg is to say "we're moving". I was in the beginning of the 3rd tri when DD1 when we moved, and in the 2nd with DD2. I have to say that I moved a lot more then I should of with DD1 because we had no one to help us so I did do heavy lifting. I had an intense desire to get all the baby stuff out and put away ASAP, all her stuff was unpacked before anything else. I was so tired by that point so it took a long time for me to unpack and get everything how I wanted it. With DD2, I was on a mission, I wanted my house unpacked and put together right then. I worked for days with hardly any sleep because I had such an intense desire. I would definitely rather move while pg then with a little baby. We are talking about moving again here soon (I'd better not get pg this time or I'd fall over ) and I have no idea how I'm going to do it with DD2. :

Arrange for help with all the heavy things, we got my sister and her BF to come out and lift in my place the last move, it was a godsend.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:06 PM

I moved cross country pregnant. it would have been fine except my stuff took 2 months to get there and it wasn't delivered until the day i had my dd. so i had to unpack with a new nursing babe. that stunk
Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 PM

WE moved about 10 weeks before i had dd. It was actually NICE, i had the perfect excuse not to do much of anything, LOL!!!!!
The downside, with not being able to do much while preggo, and then the whole being a mom thing totally being WAY harder than i thought, a "hiugh-needs" kid with BFing problems, who NEVER slept.........a year later, my house was still in the same state of disarray, boxes everywhere, etc.....now its almost 3 yrs later, and while most of the stuff is unpacked, we still have boxes on our porch.....
It was great, because we moved from a rented apt to our OWN HOUSE.

CPST
Old 01-23-2007, 06:18 PM

I would absolutely move while pregnant vs. moving with an infant.

You want to be all settled in when that baby's born; the last thing you need while trying to get nursing established, figuring out life with a newborn and surviving extreme sleep-deprivation is the stress of packing and moving!
Old 01-23-2007, 08:08 PM

We will be moving while I'm pregnant this time. We live in a studio and cannot stay here with four people (state rental laws - have to have enough bedrooms so there are two to a bedroom and only one person left over so one room can have three) so we have to move before the baby comes. I wouldn't want to have a brand new baby here anyhow.

I'd love to hear more stories about moving while pg! I definitely have done the moving with a 1 month old and do NOT ever want to do that again...

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 01-23-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzie'sma View Post
I moved cross country pregnant. it would have been fine except my stuff took 2 months to get there and it wasn't delivered until the day i had my dd. so i had to unpack with a new nursing babe. that stunk
Yikes! That would stink! What bad timing. You are one tough mama to recover from delivery, nurse, and unpack!
Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 PM

I moved overseas on the cusp between 2nd and 3rd trimester with my second baby. It was not a military move, and there was very little support (NEH 'supported' post-doc for dh). I barely spoke the language but I immediately looked up the English speaking LLL group. What a great group of ladies. I made some of my most enduring friends during this time, truly invaluable as the babe was 6 weeks early and spent a few weeks in NICU.

I definitely over did it physically trying to get all set up and would advise listening to your body. It wasn't so much the lifting as all the running around, literally as I went from US suburban drive everywhere to European city walk everywhere.

I would suggest looking for your tribe immediately. It helps so much to have local support when the baby arrives.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 PM

We moved at 35 weeks when I was pregnant with DS. We had movers that did all of the heavy stuff, I just did the unpacking. I was lucky because I wasn't WOH and I was able to take my time with everything and shop and rest when I needed to. If I had other kids I think it would have been a disaster, but if I could repeat my situation, I would do it again...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 PM

We made an international move at 36 weeks. . .into a two-story house. I lifted stuff, climbed up ladders, and did everything else that I technically wasn't supposed to do. I would much rather do it that way than move with a newborn. I could barely walk for a good four to six weeks after delivery (it wasn't pretty), which was definitely something I didn't expect. . .so in retrospect moving per-delivery was an even better decision than I realized at the time!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 PM

We moved from an apartment into our first house at the beginning of my 3rd trimester--in late summer. No problems except that dh and I spent a week where we worked at the house until 1AM, drove back to our apartment, showered, went to bed, then got up for work at 6AM. That was rough, pregnant or not! Dh and co. did most of the lifting but I did my share of scrubbing and unpacking.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 PM

I've moved with both of my previous pregnancies as well, and both nearer the end. I have to agree with the PP that said it was kinda nice because I had an excuse not to do as much! But I still did a lot. I just made sure to get some extra rest and drink enough fluids. DH and BIL did most of the work.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 PM

We moved when I was six months pregnant. Looking back onit, the worst part was cleaning the place we moved out of. So keep up on cleaning the place you are moving out of if you are renting. But, getting settled into the new place wasn't too bad, and it gave me a chance to go through everything and take lots of unused stuff to the Salvation Army. Even my toddler helped with alot of the unpacking...sort of
Old 01-24-2007, 03:25 AM

Well yes lol actually I am in the process of moving right now I am actually leaving tomorrow moving across country...It has been VERY stressful I am 7 months along and on complete bedrest except obviously right now...I have a 3 and 4 year old that are always in the way and trying to preoccupy them is impossible...I am in EXTREME pain from head to toe but the good thing is I am not in labor and I get to relax for a LONG drive lol...I can't wait til we leave and I am NOT looking forward to unpacking everything when we get there I am having my baby in 6-9 weeks and I know it's gonna be forever getting it all unpacked...
Old 01-24-2007, 03:41 AM

I moved at 71/2 mo pregnant, and separated from H. On the WAY positive side, I had tons of help (people were horrified with the situation, H felt guilty and people really wanted to help me, and I had to suck it up and ask for help - which I normally never do.) So, considering I hate, hate, hate moving, it was actually pretty easy.

It was also nice to move into a new place and sort things out the way I wanted them. I did the livingroom first (where I wanted DS2 to be born - which he was) my DS1's room, the kitchen, the bathroom and then my bedroom. My office and the front hall were the dumping grounds for a lot of stuff for a while.

I would actually recommend moving while pregnant. Then you don't have to lift anything heavy. I did do a lot of painting in a mask though, and I spent a lot of time on the ladder, which in retrospect probably wasn't the smartest thing
Old 01-24-2007, 03:57 AM

I also seem to find out I'm pregnant right before or during a move.It is definitely wqay easier to move before the baby is born.You can really use your nesting skills to weed out junk and get ready for the new babe.I don't remember what its like to move without a newborn or being pregnant actually since I always seem to have both happen to me.Trying to move cross country with a newborn is very hard when you are nursing and have a deadline.
Rest whenever you can.You really can wait for someone to help move that heavy bookcase to just the right angle.DO what you can when you can and then delegate the rest.Have one room act as the chaos room so that if you need to you can shut the door and say at elast the bedroom or living room is set.Use finding your tribe to feel out the new neighborhood and start making new friends.Find out where LLL meetings are too, they help oo and aw over your baby when relatives are too far to make it and provide another networking opportunity.
Have fun and happy packing!

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

Old 01-24-2007, 07:33 AM

I moved from New York to Germany at 8 mos. Then my husband left for a month on business.. thank God I didn't already have a kid around. You can do a lot of things if you're creative with leverage and take your time and are careful. It can be extremely frustrating though to not be able to do everything you want to to get your house ready for yourself and the new baby!! Packing sucked becuase it was so physically uncomfortable and taxing, and becuase once the boxes were packed it was up to DH to move them all and I felt really guilty.
In retrospect I'd rather move very pregnant than move with a newborn, definitely without a doubt....however if I could go back in time I would not have moved at all because of the isolation aspect of going somewhere new, no friends, no family.. no ANYTHING and being in the house with a new born.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:35 PM

I moved 2000 miles a month before ds was born. It was the best move ever!! I watched dh, friends and family do all the heavy lifting, or i went shopping with my mom and mil. (We moved right after dh's graduation, so we had lots of friends and family there to help.) The best part? I didn't have to do the road trip - I got to fly!! I flew with my parents to their house, waited there a few days for dh to get to our new house, then only had to make a 5-hour car trip, instead of a 3 day car trip!! Family helped with the unpacking, too, I just had to rearrange, to get stuff where I wanted it.

Mama to three  
Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 PM

Did any of you move to a different house or apartment while pregnant, particular during the 3rd trimester?

i have moved 3 times while pg. once during my first trimester, once during the second, and once 2 weeks before i delivered.

Was the experience positive or negative?
first trimester was fine. no issues at all. it was hot when we moved and we had to sleep on the floor for a couple of nights, but it was fine. second trimester was awful. my whole body hurt and while trying to clean up the house and get out i just got more and more swollen. i was so uncomfortable and miserable. during the move at 36 weeks, we had movers, so all i had to do was check off boxes and furniture numbers. my mom had my other kids so IMO it was the easiest of all of the moves. several months later we still had a living room full to the ceiling of boxes, but i was ok with that LOL.

Did you find it challenging to set up your new place since you were not supposed to lift heavy things?

since we hired movers to move in our heavy stuff, i didn't really have to deal with lifting. i just had to tell them where to go, and after they left DH and i moved stuff into place. i've never restricted myself when it came to lifting during pregnancy though. so, i did help DH move some stuff to the basement and some stuff to the second story. moving OUT at 24 or 25 weeks was far worse IMO.

In restrospect, would you do it again? Any advice?

i swore after the last time that i would never move again while preggo. mostly because there is enough stress on the body when you are pg with other small children. i have 3 born in 3.5 yrs. so, adding something like moving while PG is stressful. if i had to move again while PG i'd hire some strong men to move the heavy stuff again. and if i had to chose between moving while PG and moving after the babe is born, i'd chose 2 mo or so PP. but i'd probably still want help for my Dh with the heavy stuff.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 PM

I hopefully will be moving this summer before the baby comes. I have to get my 1 bedroom condo ready to put on the market and search for a home that has more bedrooms and a yard for the dog.
I just told DH that we have to do this BEFORE the baby comes! I just might have a little stress this year.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

User Tag List