Treating cold w/ Echinacea while pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the past, when I've felt a head cold coming on I attack it with Echinacea root tea, zinc tablets and emergen-C (vitamin C packs) at the very first hint. This morning I awoke with that nasty feeling in my nose, throat and ears. : I am about 39 weeks pregnant.

I feel OK about the zinc and a vitamin C tab (doesn't contain as much as the emergen-C). But I don't know about Echinacea root tea. Any body have info, experience using this during pregnancy? Does it really matter this late in the game? I haven't found much info on it at all while researching today.

Thanks in advance!

Peace,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM

I am not an expert, but from what I have read, you should be ok. Considering you are 39 weeks, I would think you being sick without energy would be the worse situation. However, that being said, the only effects I have read about is that it may cause uterine contractions that could stimulate labor. This was from a small research study and implies that more research needed to be done before results were absolutely conclusive. Otherwise there are no known adverse effects that I have come across.

Hope that help some!!

Healing Vibes Coming Your Way~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
#3 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 PM

As far as I know, echinacea is fine, but goldenseal (which is often paired with echinacea) is not. Hope you feel better soon!
#4 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've also been told by my MW that I could take echinacea. I didn't know a bout the goldenseal, though, and had been taking that during the last couple of weeks while pg and sick with an awful upper respiratory virus. I'm guessing I stopped taking it before implantation, though. Will definitely check with my MW on that now! Thanks!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 PM

I think at 39weeks pg I wouldn't worry about it. Earlier in pg I might just take the zinc and C. I asked my midwife about this when I was pg and she said zinc was fine but not to take the echinacea - just not much research out there for herbal remedies and pregnancy.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#6 of 6 Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, y'all! It really helped.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page