Benefits of routine 20wk ultrasound - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I don't think I'd call that routine. It's not like they're doing them for all babies with a given condition. They are just one of the only places to *do* them for the very rare case. Notice they don't list anything like- we do surgeries A, B and C here.

-Angela
They're done on a case-by-case basis, after a thorough investigation of the abnormality and a decision about whether the procedure would be beneficial. There are a few centers doing this sort of thing on as "routine" a basis as is possible/prudent at the present time. That's why "routine" was in quotes in my previous and current posts. These procedures are not "routine" in the sense that, say, appendectomies are routine. I'm not sure why the website doesn't list procedures that have been done or that are offered, but they are being done.
#62 of 66 Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post
They're done on a case-by-case basis, after a thorough investigation of the abnormality and a decision about whether the procedure would be beneficial. There are a few centers doing this sort of thing on as "routine" a basis as is possible/prudent at the present time. That's why "routine" was in quotes in my previous and current posts. These procedures are not "routine" in the sense that, say, appendectomies are routine. I'm not sure why the website doesn't list procedures that have been done or that are offered, but they are being done.

Since I'm here in Houston we hear every little thing going on at TCH. My impression about this unit is that it is set up. But rarely used.

-Angela
#63 of 66 Old 02-16-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Since I'm here in Houston we hear every little thing going on at TCH. My impression about this unit is that it is set up. But rarely used.

-Angela
It is used (probably) about once every other month or so. Like I said, it's NOT routine. But TCH probably does as many fetal surgeries/interventions as any center in this country.
#64 of 66 Old 02-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrelle View Post
I believe that the month and a half we had between diagnosis and birth were invaluable. They allowed us to bond with the baby in a way that we wouldn't've thought to, and they allowed us to begin to grieve, so that we were better able to deal with her death when it came. True, if we hadn't known, we would've had six more weeks (or more, since I hadn't started to miscarry naturally when I was induced) of blissful ignorance. But we wouldn't have had the chance to get ready to say goodbye.
Lyrelle, hugs to you mama

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#65 of 66 Old 02-16-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrelle View Post
This time around, I am going to have the 20 week ultrasound. There are several scenarios in which immediate intervention after birth could be helpful, and so I feel that outweighs the negatives.
You know we're down here praying that that u/s will be PERFECT.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#66 of 66 Old 02-17-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I don't understand- did your insurance require it or your midwife's? Never heard of such a thing.

-Angela
My midwifery practice required *at least* three. I refused (I'd had 10 with DS's pregnancy, and have always regretted it.) So I was dropped from the practice.

My new practice does the 20 week u/s, but they said it's fine if I don't want it. DH really does; we haven't come to a mutual decision yet.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page