HELP! Celestone Injection for preterm labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
Rowan Tree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because I delivered DS1 at exactly 36 weeks and because this time around I've been having alot of Braxton-hicks, my doc is thinking I'll most likely deliver early again. She suggested I get a shot of a steroid called Celestone. My first thought was no, I'm not into any type of drug interventions, but after she explained the drug specifically helps to develop the lungs and will not bulk up the baby (as I thought), I'm inclined to do it. I'd have to go to the hospital and get the first injection this evening and then get second injection 24 hours later (it has to be done before 34 weeks). Has anyone ever had this done? Advice?
Rowan Tree is offline  
#2 of 5 Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 PM
 
Cinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had steroid injections (3 of them 12 hours apart from eachother I think, but maybe it was 4) with my DS. I was too stressed on that day to remember much more though, I was 32 weeks pregnant, in active labour, dilating quickly, and being put on magnesium.

Anyway, I ended up caring him to term (39 weeks) and he was 7 1/2lbs, so definitely not bulked up...

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Cinder is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 PM
 
Mel L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is your doctor so sure that you will have the next at 36 weeks? My first was born at 36 weeks and 2 days when my water broke, but my doctor doesn't really think there is a reason for my next to be that early. It doesn't always mean that you will have an early birth because you are having bh from what I know.

There are probably plenty out there who have had the treatment, but I question the need in the first place. Is there a reason why your doctor is worried? Did you or the baby have complications due to the ealry birth?
Mel L is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 PM
 
Lousli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would think about it. I could totally see it going either way. The first one being early does increase your risk for another preterm baby. I have recently heard that there is an increased chance of PPROM in those who have had irritable uterus (lots of BH), but I have yet to research this. The steroid shots absolutely have benefits for a baby born early enough to have breathing problems. Most people in PTL feel that the benefits far outweigh the (quite small) risks.

OTOH, I also question why your provider feels you are going to deliver early. Are you having cervical changes (dilation, effacement, funneling, loss of mucous plug)? Have you had a positive fetal fibronectin test? Does something else just not seem right?

I asked the last question because when I was in the hospital, they tried for 3 days to stop my contractions and even though I wasn't having much in the way of cervical change and a negative fetal fibronectin, they could never get my contractions to stop, just spaced out to 8-9 minutes apart. based on this and my previous history, we opted for the steroid shots.
Lousli is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 PM
 
miche28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been giving this some thought too as it looks likely that this babe will come early (pre-e) and the steroid have been suggested to me. Here are a couple links I found useful (you can also see the discussion on the NICU board from my original post):

http://www.motherisk.org/prof/update...content_id=330

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv....section.12790

It does seem that for babies born before 34 weeks, the benefits do outweigh the risks for a single round of shots as it's very effective at maturing lungs. But, it doesn't sound like your OB is suggesting that it's likely your baby will come before then and there are some risks (well outweighed in pre-34 week circumstances, I think, but not if the shots do no good). It's a tough call.

Anyway, we've decided to take a wait and see approach since my condition seems stable enough for now (32 weeks). Good luck with your decision!

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
miche28 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off