yeast infection... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone have a remedy for vaginal yeast infections that works... i'm trying to stop this one early, but don't want to use anything over the counter.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 03:30 PM

Garlic clove. I peel it, rpick it with a fork, then take a sewing needle threaded with dental floss and insert it vaginally. I change the clove every 12 hours. I know Tea Trea oil on a tampon can be good too, but I was weary of inserting it up there while pregnant.
Oh and probiotics. I double my dose when I feel something yeasty is coming to visit!!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

thank you!!

i've used tea tree & lavender in the past with success, but don't know if it's safe right now.

does the garlic burn?

rain
Old 02-03-2007, 06:29 PM

i am having the same issue right now. My midwife suggested the garlic thing or acidopholis (sp) inserted vaginally at night until symptoms go away. My problem is we keep giving it back and forth to each other, So we are having to use a barrier until we are both clear.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 PM

I thought the garlic would burn, but it didn't. I didn't even feel it. The only thing is it had a tendency to, um, slip out if I strained (ex: picking up ds) so I had to run to the bathroom to push it back in all the time

I would really recommend using the probiotics as well. They're safe during pregnancy and they really help.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 AM

Probiotics really work for me, the kind you buy that are kept in the refridgerator.

I also buy plain yogurt with live cultures. I eat it and then several times a day I take about a teaspoon, open a probiotic capsule and mix them together. I use this as a vaginal cream, it feels super soothing with immediate relief. After a few days I am fine. I do wear a cloth pad to absorb any mess.

I wash my towels, undies and pads in hot water. I wear a skirt if possible without tights while at home.

I also avoid sugar for several days if I am having problems with yeast.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 AM

for me nothing works as well and as quickly as dilluted hydrogen peroxide as a rinse... and probiotics!

Grace Comes.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momuveight2B View Post
I also avoid sugar for several days if I am having problems with yeast.

This is how I avoid attacks of the yeasties

Avoiding any refined sugar or flour products shuts it down (for me) without any additional treatments, though eating yogurt or taking a few probiotics never hurts
Old 02-04-2007, 01:19 PM

I had about six months of constant yeasties and the only thing that finally cleared it up was taking a syringe (the kind you use to give kids/pets medicine) and shooting some plain (unsweetened) yogurt with live cultures up there. I felt relief almost instantly. When I think of how much $$$ I dropped on monistat when a 60 cent carton of yogurt did the trick...:

love.gif

Old 02-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Have you tried a yeast elimination diet? A couple of other posters have mentioned eliminating sugar, anything white, etc. When I had a yeast infection it turned out there were lots of things that I was better off avoiding for a few days (I was on the diet for 4.5 days). You can google "yeast elimination diet" and get lots of specifics if you are interested.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Acidophilus works wonders! You can also get boric acid vaginal suppositories from a compounding pharmacy. They work to kill the yeast without killing the good flora.

User Tag List