Question about sleeping position - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2007, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently sleeping has become next to impossible for me due to hip pain. Has anyone tried sleeping in a semi-reclined position on their back? Would this be ok since i wouldn't be flat on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybemama View Post
Recently sleeping has become next to impossible for me due to hip pain. Has anyone tried sleeping in a semi-reclined position on their back? Would this be ok since i wouldn't be flat on it?
I sleep like that sometimes and haven't had any problems. Have you tried going to see a chiro? Also I sleep with a pillow between my legs and this really supports my hips.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Semi-reclined and on your back will most often encourage the baby to be posterior. I totally understand the hip pain though. My left hip just burns with pain a few times every night. I usually try to lay on my back for a moment or two to stretch out the hip then readjust to my left side.

Also, the pps suggestion of pillows is great. A full length body pillow has been my best friend although it does not help with the left hip pain. A woman in my prenatal yoga class said she uses a u-shaped neck pillow (or something like that) under her hip and it really helps take the pressure off.

And a good chiro and/or prenatal massage therapist are really helpful to get the knots worked out every once in a while!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've used the snoogle for a long time now and that instantly took care of lower back annoyances...the hip thing is relatively new...it burns on the inside of my hips, if that makes sense...maybe it's not even my hips. If I straighten out my legs it hurts even more and then I have to get up to make it feel better.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 AM

I wish I knew how to help! I'm here hoping to get suggestions as well. Now at 37 weeks, I wake up all night with severe hip pain. I have a pillow between my legs and I keep one under my stomach and up against my back... nothing helps! I was fine until the past two weeks.

How far along are you?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 AM

I suspect you'd probbaly be ok from a blood flow perspective, but you might not be very comfortable for long and there is the positioning question. One thing I've found really helps with SPD is sleeping on a much softer surface: our bed is soft, but still too firm - I find the couch works much better (and it's also easier to turn over). I think it must take the pressure off - when I sleep in our bed, I can literally feel and hear my pelvic crunching when I turn over. Now, I may well wear out our uphostery and do some kind of permanent back damage, but I'll take what I can get!

If that's not an option, maybe a couple layers of sleeping bag beneath you? Good luck!

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
Old 02-05-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybemama View Post
I've used the snoogle for a long time now and that instantly took care of lower back annoyances...the hip thing is relatively new...it burns on the inside of my hips, if that makes sense...maybe it's not even my hips. If I straighten out my legs it hurts even more and then I have to get up to make it feel better.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about (I think...). I've had this occasional reoccurring pain in what *feels* like the deep joints in my hip sockets (and sometimes by shoulder sockets) since I was 13 years old. It happens almost exclusively at night when I'm lying down. When it hurts, it hurts, and there is seemingly no fixing it except for using it, which is really wierd.

I've never had it officially diagnosed (though I've tried) but personally I think it is a combination of a change in the synovial fluid between the joints and ligament relaxation. I am most vulnerable to it when I've been sedentary for somewhat long stretches of time, like during the first three months of this pregancy when I was bedridden with morning sickness...

For me the solution is daily excercise. It doesn't have to be major. Taking my dog for a little walk seems to be enough to keep the ligaments tightened and the pain at bay. In fact, I've been sleeping exclusively on my side now for the past month and have had no more pain (I feel funny when I sleep on my back so it isn't an option).

Good luck! I hope you feel better!

User Tag List