Avoid PND, produce better milk, increase resistance to infection. Start planning now! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For some reason this thread is making me think "Fear Factor".

For my first, we brought home the placenta from the hospital in a large ziploc freezer bag. They didn't say a thing about us taking it and I didn't have to worry about transporting it in ice or a cooler since I left a couple hours after the birth. It then went into a container and into my freezer. Less than a year later it moved with me to another city (transported in a cooler with ice this time to keep it frozen) and went into my parent's freezer. 5-6 years later they got a new fridge and had to clean out the old one and my mom found my "bucket of placenta" and tossed it. Likely it was old and freezer burnt by that time anyway!

Not sure what I'll do with the placenta this time round. I do know that I can't eat meat because of the texture. I almost throw up even thinking about putting a piece of liver in my mouth (and have never been able to put liver in my mouth). Thus, I highly doubt my mindset will allow me to eat my placenta. Dried, in capsules I could do if it afforded the same benefits.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 06:31 PM

i gave birth 2 months ago and had plans on ingesting the placenta. i ended up using it for hemmoraging and just put it into my mouth. my husband did not really want to bother with it and i had just given birth so i did not have anyone to really slow cook it for me in the oven and cut it up into tiny pieces. so it is still frozen in my freezer. well lately i have been feeeling tired and not hungry and a little worn out.
my question is how do i ingest it once it has already been frozen?
will i have to ingest the whole thing in a week or can i refreeze it into bite size pieces or should i slow cook it and make it into a powder?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:48 PM

Haven't had a chance to do this, but one idea that seems doable to me is to add a chunk of the frozen raw placenta to a strawberry smoothie whenever you feel you need it. That would allow you to keep it frozen. Or alternatively, make a big batch of the smoothie with the entire thing, and freeze portions of it for use one at a time; you could freeze it in ice cube trays the same way you can do baby food. I think that would also avoid any texture issues too.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:00 PM

I would totally eat it if someone cut it up for me after the birth. DH won't go for that, though. He's much more squeamish than I.

If you're vegetarian because you don't want to harm animals, then the placenta is the only meat you can eat that no animal had to be harmed to get. That is cool.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 PM

I am TOTALLY eating the placenta this time. (I meant to last time, but it just didn't work out )
Jessitron- How about throwing it in the blender (with some V8) - I hear it's yummy. I don't know if it needs cutting up first. . .I guess it probably would, huh?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 10-04-2006, 10:32 PM

Thanks for bumping this up again. I think I'll give er a go.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 PM

Swallace-I would cut it up and use a frozen bit at a time for smoothies.maybe a talespoon size.

Be sure when blending to cut off all the thick tissues first.Do it asap,swallace,it will help you SO much!

:::
Old 10-05-2006, 01:16 AM

All I can say is I was curious about what my placenta *looked* like last time around and was a little freaked out when I saw it. Is it natural? Yes. Appetizing? Hell no. There is just no way on earth I could eat it. None.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade -- hey, it's *your* placenta! Bon appetit!

But you can put me firmly in the category of non-placenta-chowers.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 AM

I'm all about using it fresh so that all the hormone benefits can be reaped.

Also, I have said it before, and I will say it again. My placenta smelled like THE MOST appetizing piece of meat that I have EVER smelled. (I had it in a zip lock container over night and when I opened it the next day it smellled wonderful.)

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 08-28-2008, 09:49 PM

So I hear that you now need a prescription to buy empty capsules?! Anyone know about this?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 PM

although I don't plan to consume mine I wonder if they even allow a person to keep the placenta when giving birth at a hospital. When I gave birth to dd they never asked or said anything about the placenta. After pushing it out it was quickly transfered from the plastic bowl they caught it in to a toxic medical waste" bag with the rest of the body fluid soaked items headed out of my room for disposal. It was gone before I really even realized I'd eliminated it from my body.

Hmmmm, I wonder if policy is different in different states and hospitals. I don't know if they didn't ask what I wanted to do with mine because it is more typical that people don't want them or because they don't let you have them reguardless of what you want. I'll make a point to ask at my birth plan app this time around... even though I'll be gladdly handing mine over to them after giving birth to ds.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
although I don't plan to consume mine I wonder if they even allow a person to keep the placenta when giving birth at a hospital.
I took mine home from both hospital births. The hospital staff didn't even question it. This was in 2 different provinces in Canada.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakai View Post
So I hear that you now need a prescription to buy empty capsules?! Anyone know about this?
hmmm, here they still sell them at health food stores and natural remedy pharmacies (places where they don't even have perscription meds to begin with). My mom buys them to capsulate goldenseal so I know it's legal, at least in my state (unless this new rule is really, really, recent).

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 AM

subbing
Old 08-29-2008, 03:10 AM

I ended up with an unplanned c/s and had my sister ask the staff while I was still in the OR, if I could keep mine, but they told her no... I have wondered if that was really correct & wish I'd been better prepared for how to obtain it in those kinds of unexpected circumstances.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 AM

If you have to go to the Hospital, make sure you carry a gift bag and a gallon size zip lock bag. Then, just take your placenta. It IS yours, after-all. And the likelihood that someone will try to stop you is low, since it's one less thing they have to deal with.

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM

This is one task DH gets to handle. I figure if he does all the looking, cutting and mixing, then just gives me a sweet smoothie, I won't have a chance to freak.

That being said, I do love sushi.

Mama to expecting Babe 2

User Tag List