How to avoid heavy bleeding--Hemorrhage post partum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of the midwives in the group I see, likes to use pitocin regularly to avoid hemorrhage. She said it is ok with her if I refuse it, unless i am bleeding heavily.
I know I read in different places of stuff which reduces bleeding, was it RRL? I can't remember or find it, but if anyone knows please let me know!
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 01:34 AM

alfalfa & nettles....and many times RRL tea comes in a pregnancy concoction with one or both of these. this is to take [I]before[I] delivery, though, so if you're asking what you can do in the moment, i'd go with the pitocin! i bled quite a bit with my first & i'm reassured that the mw will have pitocin on hand for my homebirth....even though i'm going to do everything i can prenatally to support my blood!

stephanie asl.gif

Old 02-16-2007, 03:33 AM

you might be ok. i've had three kids and have never even passed large clots. my last one i had some smallish sized ones and that was it.

i drank RRL tea at the end of my 1st and 2nd pregnancies. and i didn't have any bleeding issues at all with either. i didn't drink it with #3 and had the smallish clots, but never gushed blood.

i agree with the previous poster that if it's a NOW situation a shot of pitocin is probably the fastest way to go.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I was reading about alfalfa.
Yeah the midwife uses it wether you are bleeding heavily or not, she just injects it as a routine thing.
I just wanted to do whatever I could ahead of time so I wouldn't have to get it, of course if i need it at the time I won't refuse it.
What neetles? where do you get it?
Can I just eat the alfalfa like a rabbit? Or do I have to make it as tea to get a better potency?

I have been drinking RRL except for about a month, but I started up again a week ago, if I can get some of them nettles and add it to the RRL tea.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:03 AM

In the moment, putting baby to breast for nipple stimulation will release your natural oxytocin and will assist in preventing PP hemorrhage. Also, Sheperd's Purse tincture is great at stopping heavy bleeding.

Your best bet is to do your best to build up your blood before delivery. RRL tea is a great overall uterine tonic, but doesn't necessarily build up the blood. You should be able to find nettle tea in just about any healthfood store. Same with alfalfa--although I doubt that you would be able to eat as much as what you can take in a nice organic capsule. :-) You can also get liquid chlorophyll (the brand name escapes me at the moment) and take it twice a day. Blackstrap molasses is another good blood-builder.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
Blackstrap molasses is another good blood-builder.
I have blackstrap molasses, I just don't know how to use it! it is such a stronger bitter taste compared to regular molasses, I have only used it in some stri frys! it seems too strong flavored for other things I usually use molasses for
Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Mama View Post
I have blackstrap molasses, I just don't know how to use it! it is such a stronger bitter taste compared to regular molasses, I have only used it in some stri frys! it seems too strong flavored for other things I usually use molasses for
I use them to sweeten porridge/7-grain cereal. About 1 tb. per 1/2 C cereal. Add some cinnamon... Umm, other recipe I have that includes them is ginger cookies...

If you're wanting to use them medicinally, it's probably just as easy to swallow a couple spoonfulls than trying to find something to use them in every day. Except the porridge, you could probably eat that daily.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
One of the midwives in the group I see, likes to use pitocin regularly to avoid hemorrhage. She said it is ok with her if I refuse it, unless i am bleeding heavily.
I know I read in different places of stuff which reduces bleeding, was it RRL? I can't remember or find it, but if anyone knows please let me know!
TIA
I read (and my new HB MW said) that you can put a small sliver of the placenta inside your cheek and the hormones are very effecient in stopping PP hemorrhage. Go up to the "Birth and Beyond" category to "unassisted childbirth" and in the resource section, they have info about things you can do with the placenta to help with bleeding and other things.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:34 PM

A book I have talks about the benefits for the mother to eat the placenta. It appears to be very common in different cultures and at different times in our history. It includes a few recipes.

I don't think I feel comfortable with that, though.

-----------

Tell me more about this RRL tea.....
What does RRL stand for? (If someone said already, I missed it.)
What is in it?
When should I start drinking it?
What does it taste like? Am I going to be having trouble making myself drink it?

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

RRL tea = Red Raspberry Leaf.
There is an extensive ( to say the least) thread on here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=347728

You can find info by googling or reading the thread, it is pretty long.

It doesn't taste bad, but after you drink gallons you might want a different flavor. I mix mine with different juices, fruits, and honey. that way I have a different flavor everytime I make a gallon. I know some make it and the whole family drinks it. my boyfriend drinks it if there is nothing else, as long as it is sweetened he likes it.

My midwife only suggested it during last trimester, but when I told her the amount I was drinking during the second trimester she said it was fine I wasn't drinking a strong mix.
I'm due in three weeks and I am drinking a stronger brew now.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I used blackstrap molasses last pg to up the iron in my blood - I would put a few big spoonfulls in my morning fruit smoothie - it sweetened it nicely and did not taste too weird at all..

namaste.gif
Chelsea - proud mama of my Rosie 7/05 and Sammy 7/07   homebirth.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 02-18-2007, 02:19 AM

Get everyone to be quiet and lay low when the baby is being born. Don't let a huge crowd in the room. Stay focused on your baby and bonding. Oxytocin helps the uterus clamp down and expel the placenta. If you are distracted, upset, etc. it affects your body's ability to work in unison with the baby and produce all those wonderful love hormones.

Oh ya, and all that herb stuff too
Old 02-18-2007, 04:52 AM

I hemorrhaged with my dd and I did the placenta thing. Dh cut of a piece a bit bigger than a quarter and I swallowed without chewing or anything. I stopped bleeding right away. It worked fast and at that point I was barely conscious so it wasn't weird at all In fact, I felt so good postpartum that I plan on doing it again regardless of whether or not I bleed.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure if i am ready for the placenta eating... I would love to do it, but I don't know if I can stomach it.

I will try using the blackstrap molasses more, I will try experimenting

As for the environment, it should be quiet and dim. I put all that in my birth plan and it will be my bf, midwife, and the nurse required to be there. The midwives like to keep it dim and quiet themselves, and I keep telling my bf he better just be patient and agree with what I say, even if I say chickens can fly, he's there to make things easier for me
Old 02-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you will like to do this. But I use to take it like medicine - put I tbls in my mouth and just drink water right behind it. And I 2nd the nettles and alfalfa.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
All the ideas above are great, another VERY important factor, make sure your bladder is emptied regularly, definitely at the befinning of pushing and again if you can help it. Having a full bladder will prevent your uterus from clamping down properly after you give birth.

I just saw this happen at a birth last Monday and it was so preventable! She ended up hemorrhaging almost simply due to a full bladder. She needed pit and cytotec to stop the bleeding!

I also higly recommend alfalfa, I took them in tablets, 5 per day. They will also help with vitamin K levels, since I declined the shot and drops for DS.

I would definitely decline the routine pitocin if you're not bleeding all that heavily though.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn
Get everyone to be quiet and lay low when the baby is being born. Don't let a huge crowd in the room. Stay focused on your baby and bonding. Oxytocin helps the uterus clamp down and expel the placenta. If you are distracted, upset, etc. it affects your body's ability to work in unison with the baby and produce all those wonderful love hormones.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Mama
As for the environment, it should be quiet and dim. I put all that in my birth plan and it will be my bf, midwife, and the nurse required to be there. The midwives like to keep it dim and quiet themselves, and I keep telling my bf he better just be patient and agree with what I say, even if I say chickens can fly, he's there to make things easier for me
I wish!

When I said I was having a home birth, my in-laws wanted to know who would be there. I said the MW, my mom, and probably my sister (she has been at dozens of births). My SIL asked if she and my MIL could come too. I didn't know how to say no. They feel left out so easily.

I had kinda thought that my cat would be with me. She is a comfort object for me. She had her own babies (4) more than a decade ago. I also liked the idea of her watching and understanding that the baby came out of me. I figured it would help their relationship. But, she wouldn't stay around with so many people. She will probably be under the furniture in another room.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.

User Tag List