What fish is safe to eat while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering what fish is safe to eat while pregnant??? Where is the best place to buy the fish? I live in a very small little community with ONE grocery store. Also.... I know this might sound bad...but I have been craving those fish sandwiches from mcdonalds but can't bring myself to eat one... are those safe?

Thank you so much!!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#2 of 8 Old 02-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Here's a link to a good website on safe fish for children, which applies also to pregnant women: http://www.kidsafeseafood.com/home.php

They say the best choices are Wild Alaskan Salmon (Chum, Coho and Pink), Tilapia (US/Central American), Farmed Blue Mussels, Northern US and Canadian Shrimp, US Farmed Crayfish, and Farmed Bay Scallops.

That site has a link to another site with recommendations for women: http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=healthalerts
#3 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you eila for the very helpful website!!!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#4 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 05:03 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy....I, too, in my first pregnancy, really wanted a Mcdonald's fishwich, or whatever the heck they were. I had one, too, (gasp) but it also took my cravings away.....I'm in my second trimester, second kid, and those ghastly cravings I had earlier are finally gone....it is simply crazy what foods your body turns to for comfort!
#5 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 PM

#6 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 10:21 PM

Please eat your fish!!! Avoid the mega-mercury ones, but the benefits of fish outweigh the risks.

Quote:
A large study has found that children of women who ate little fish during pregnancy had lower IQs and more behavioral and social problems than youngsters whose mothers ate plenty of seafood, a finding that challenges the U.S. government's standard advice to limit seafood while pregnant.

The study finds "no evidence to lend support to the warning of the U.S. advisory that pregnant women should limit their seafood consumption," concluded the team led by Joseph R. Hibbeln, a researcher at the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, writing in the Lancet.
Entire article can be found in the Washington Post.
#7 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 11:06 PM

Salmon is one of the very best fish you can eat. However, beware of salmon that is farmed salmon. This type of fish is very unhealthy. Dye is usually injected into the meat so that it looks appetizing in the store (otherwise it is a very lightish pink and gray color). I would stay away from any kind of fish that is farmed (but it is mostly salmon that are farmed and sold).

If in doubt, ask the seller where their fish came from. If they say they don't know, then I wouldn't buy it (like who doesn't know where they buy their product from??) Sounds "fishy" to me. bad pun, I know, just had to say it!
#8 of 8 Old 02-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
Please eat your fish!!! Avoid the mega-mercury ones, but the benefits of fish outweigh the risks.
Quote:
A large study has found that children of women who ate little fish during pregnancy had lower IQs and more behavioral and social problems than youngsters whose mothers ate plenty of seafood, a finding that challenges the U.S. government's standard advice to limit seafood while pregnant.

The study finds "no evidence to lend support to the warning of the U.S. advisory that pregnant women should limit their seafood consumption," concluded the team led by Joseph R. Hibbeln, a researcher at the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, writing in the Lancet.

Entire article can be found in the Washington Post.
I saw this article as well....and I would have had reason for concern, as I have abstained from ALL seafood while pregnant for fear of mercury.....but I also read that the component in fish that causes those higher IQ's is the Omega-3 fatty acids. I have been taking an Omega-3 supplement in the form of PCB/mercury-free fish oil faithfully every day, so I think I'm probably cooking a smart baby without having to eat the fish. .....although if I knew of a good source for guaranteed toxin-free fish, I would certainly be eating it up. I love fish.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page