PUPPS rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Grrrr. I avoided this all the other pregnancies, but this time around I have a raised bumpy red rash that alternates between itching and burning on my tummy. I looked it up and it seems to be PUPPs. But all The Birth Book says is "treat like any other itchy rash". Ummm... ok. Anyone have any more practical suggestions?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of the women in my Bradley class last time had this and it was awful! They recommended:

-more baths and less showers (because they are more drying),
-lots of simply moisture (not lotions with lots of ingredients but thinks like apricot kernel oil or a mixture of olive oil and beeswax - you can make it with a 2:7 ratio (less beeswax than oil )
-they gave her some creams (our MW - we had the same ones) but they were more harsh and she was only to use them in emergency!
-sometimes ammonia (sp) helps with itching so you can try a small amount of that and see if it helps (often stings for a second first and then it is okay)
-they also recommended more rest, less stress, and not itching Easier said than done!

Sorry

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:33 AM

the only thing that worked for me was a steroid dose pak

benedryl capsules helped ever so slightly.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I have a midwife appointment Monday, so maybe she'll have some words of wisdom.

I wondered about benedryl. I also have some stuff essential oils in a base that we use for Nick's eczema. I wonder if that would help at all?

I don't know if I can give up showers, though. I don't think I'll fit in the bathtub, !

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 AM

I just asked my midwife about this and she recommended dandelion root supplements. Haven't tried it yet but if this gets any worse I will have to give it a shot. I don't find showers aggravate it, I actually feel a little better for a few hours after I loofah, then slather on coconut oil after I get out.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
the only thing that worked for me was a steroid dose pak
Me too, and believe me, I tried EVERYTHING I could find recommended before taking this step. Even the steroids didn't make it go away altogether, but it helped enough that I could sleep off and on for the last 2 months of pregnancy.

Good luck! I hope something less intensive works for you.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
I just asked my midwife about this and she recommended dandelion root supplements.
I have been researching the link between Morning Sickness/Hyperemesis and the liver & kept running across recommendations for Morning Sicknes and PUPPs using Dandelion Root and/or Milk Thistle. Both issues are linked the liver & both benefit from Denadelion Root & Milk Thistle.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM

I had this and went to a dermatologist with my 1st pregnancy (14 years ago) They were basically unwilling to give me anything effective (like steroids) because I was pregnant. The only two things that helped me were oatmeal baths. (Like 4-5 a day) and Sarna lotion. You need to get it at a "real" drugstore and even then they may have to order it. It is over the counter though. It is a cooling lotion and it is heaven! You have my sympathy. It was the worst itching I have ever experienced in my life.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 PM

I had PUPPPs shortly after my second birth (weird, but some people get it afterwards due to the hormone changes). I ended up with the steroid creme. It took 3-4 days to get under control, then I had another outbreak in 2 weeks, and did the creme again.
With my third pregnancy I took extra flax oil, plus dandelion root every day during the 2nd & 3rd trimester, and milk thistle a few times per week. I tapered off a week or so after the birth and never had any rash! I've always used the flax oil though, I just added extra during pregnancy. Luckily despite my horrible morning sickness lasting 26 weeks I was able to drink smoothies and hide the flax oil that way. Never helped my morning sickness though...I've heard that's just genetic.
There is a Yahoo PUPPPs support group that I belonged to as well.
Hope you find some relief soon! It was the most hideously awful most uncomfortable experience of my life!!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
I have been researching the link between Morning Sickness/Hyperemesis and the liver & kept running across recommendations for Morning Sicknes and PUPPs using Dandelion Root and/or Milk Thistle. Both issues are linked the liver & both benefit from Denadelion Root & Milk Thistle.
Now that's fascinating, because I had the worse morning sickness ever with this pregnancy.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:29 PM

I've got a website of information and remedies:
http://www.tcinternet.net/users/krit...aomi/puppp.htm
Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
I've got a website of information and remedies:
http://www.tcinternet.net/users/krit...aomi/puppp.htm
You're my hero! :

Great page. I'm going to try the natural remedies tomorrow, I think. Thanks, Naomi!

Old 02-18-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Now that's fascinating, because I had the worse morning sickness ever with this pregnancy.
Ahhh, yes, the research points to a huge correlation. it's just different ways the liver expresses it's having trouble dealing with the extra stress of pregnancy. if you don't do milk thisle/dandelion root now, make sure you do postpartum to help heal/protect your liver.

Sending calm skin vibes your way.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

So, just to pursue this further, could the fact that I had my gall bladder out since my last pregnancy have anything to do with this?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:51 PM

I had it with my first. I've never itched so bad in my life! I didn't sleep for days and days because of it. Dandilion root tincture worked for me, thankfully! I don't recall the dosage, it was whatever my mw recommended.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Hmmm, I had average morning sickness with my first until 12 weeks, no rash.
I had a little less morning sickness with my second until 11-15 weeks (not sure on my dates for that pregnancy), but got the rash later.
I had HORRIBLE morning sickness until 26 weeks with my third and no rash.
Curious to see if more research indicates a connection.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 02-28-2007, 03:50 AM

i read somewhere thats its related to a sensitivity to male fetal dna. my morniing sickness was not as bad w/ the pupps pregnancy as with my other one.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
i read somewhere thats its related to a sensitivity to male fetal dna. my morniing sickness was not as bad w/ the pupps pregnancy as with my other one.

That's really interesting, if it's true I wonder then if this baby is a boy too. My m/s this pregancy was the worst I've ever had, and the itching is also the worst I've ever had. I had no itching at all with my first boy, moderate itching with my second. Worst ever this time. I wonder if that means an increasing sensitivity each time? It's started creeping off my torso, especially in the evening hours right when I'm trying to sleep, so I'm planning to get some dandelion root next time I go into town.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:43 PM

My friend with pupps had a girl

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to pop in and share that I've been taking 3 dandelion root capsules 3 times a day, and it's like a little miracle. I still get an itchy belly now and then, but there's no more rash--whoo hoo!! Thanks, all!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
I also had this rash after the birth of my son and the doctor told me that it was odd that I got it after the birth. He said normally it happens in the last few weeks of pregnancy. But he also said that it was more common to get it if you were having (or had in my case ) a boy child.

I never found any research to back it up but thought it was interesting non the less. I was only able to use cortizone cream. since I was breastfeeding I wasn't allowed to use the steroids. I wish I had known about the dandelion root capsules. I will make a mental note for this time if it happens again.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:33 AM

had it....tried a ton of different products...only kukui nut oil worked for me. good luck! if possible, use a washcloth to scratch with, not your nails. i am FULL of scars.:
Old 03-17-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefka View Post
Me too, and believe me, I tried EVERYTHING I could find recommended before taking this step. Even the steroids didn't make it go away altogether, but it helped enough that I could sleep off and on for the last 2 months of pregnancy.

Good luck! I hope something less intensive works for you.
Mama I am soooo, sooo sorry that you are suffering with this. UGH!

I had it for 4 wks prior to ds birth and after trying EVERYTHING, I agreed to steriods for relief, I needed to sleep. This is from a woman that will rarely even take asprin.

Originally Posted by velcromom
I just asked my midwife about this and she recommended dandelion root supplements.

Quote:

Yes, this what the acupunturist/herbalist said to me too about it. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to help for the PUPPS. She said it would end when I gave birth as my liver was overtaxed and causing an acidic irratation on my skin. (I think a liver cleanse is in order for me before the next pregnancy, that is if ds ends the nursing).

Oatmeal in a tepid bath and emolient lotions with cooling EOs mixed with Aveeno anti-itch cream helped too.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts Therapist View Post
had it....tried a ton of different products...only kukui nut oil worked for me. good luck! if possible, use a washcloth to scratch with, not your nails. i am FULL of scars.:
Yes, watch the scratching, I too have scars on my lower stomach and inner thighs... Harder to do that say...
Old 07-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Lightbulb PUPPPs Relief

Hi PUPPPs people! If a current sufferer comes along, I thought I'd post my blog (PUPPPSRELIEF.blogspot.com). I'm a 4 time PUPPPs sufferer, so I decided to make a place where I could post about all the treatments and tips I have accumulated over the years. I also post about my story and any actual research done by the medical community that can help us learn more about this crazy rash! Hope you all find relief! ~PUPPPsMOM

User Tag List