Preventing/Reducing Morning Sickness and Hyperemsis Gravidarum (herbs & more!) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 153 Old 11-11-2007, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So totally going to try these things! I was so sick with my 2 pgs. I vomited non-stop for 20 weeks. Vomiting bile is the WORST!!!! I forced myself to eat melon because it would actually help my throat not burn as much during vomiting and because I did not like bile coming up. Of course many times I vomited so much at one sitting that eventually bile came. When IVs were mentioned I would lie about the vomiting because I hate hate hate IVs.

I'm TTc right now and I'm going to get Milk Thistle asap and start taking it.

I've been taking a prenatal vit for a few months and I just bought some Floradix for the extra iron.

Oh Spark, thanks for linking this in your siggie. That's how I found this thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 153 Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

veganF, I hope you get more relief this time around.

Kleine, you're so welcome! I hope it works for you!

So, I'm pregnant! I'm soooo glad we were talking about TTC possibly in December, because I had started my B-6 and Milk Thistle. I have been an absolute stickler for this. And, I've followed the directions and limits in the OP precisely.

Upon BFP, I started:
150 mg of B-6 spread out into 3 doses (just cheap stuff from grocery store, I take vit C for absorbtion)
Wild Yam Root in pill form 3x per day PLUS by Mannatech
Milk Thistle 3x per day
Extra folic acid (800 mcg total)
Probiotics (Kefir)
Water with lemon
Enzymes before meals Simplexity Health Enzymes
1 unisom at bedtime (along with one of the B-6's) - I take this only because of my history with severe Nausea and Vomitting in Pregnancy (NVP)
Flax Seed Oil (this isn't really NVP prevention)

I am now 5w, 3d. At this point in my last pregnancy I was already vomitting profusely. But, get this... I HAVE BEEN 100% NAUSEA FREE!!!!! I have never been pregnant this long & not nauseaus!!!!!! I pray it keeps up.

I have been religious about getting all my supplments in. And, very diligent about starting them as soon as I tested positive.

I hope this info helps someone else, too! Everyone has added such great info about what works and what doesn't work for them. Thank you!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#33 of 153 Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks for all this information. I wish I knew it earlier. We are currently waiting for our PFP in the next week. :

I went to the health food store this afternoon to pick up ginger root, milk thistle, and B-6 with vitamin c. I picked up the ginger and milk thistle. I will start the milk thistle tonight. I did not find any B-6 with vitamin c combined. I have been looking online without much success either. My prenatals have 166mg of vitamin c, so if I took the B-6 (it only has 16 mg) with it would that allow it to absorb.

Thanks in advance!

#34 of 153 Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Blissful - I just bought cheap store brand b-6 (i'm sure it's not as good as health food store quality), but then I try to take it with some food that has Vitamin C in it or with my prenatal (has C in it, too).

So far most people who have tried Wild Yam Root at higher doses are having really good success with it. Might be something for you to look for.

Best wishes! Hope you see your BFP soon!

#35 of 153 Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 PM

I thought I'd post an update. I'm pregnant again and did the protocol and still have hyperemesis I have a friend that it is working really well for though.
I have learned that I'm hypothyroid and likely have some adrenal fatigue. I didn't get tested until I was pregnant, but I have had many symptoms for at least 10 years. I am hoping I've found what is making me so sick. Even if it isn't related to the hyperemesis it's still good to know so I can at least feel somewhat better!

:::
#36 of 153 Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

linguistmama - I'm so sorry you're so sick. That's so difficult. I hope you have some good hlep to take care of your DD. HG is bad enough without other children to take care of... but much worse when you have to parent, too.

So, did you do B-6 and Milk Thistle then pre-pregnancy then? And, what did you start upon your BFP?

I do think there are different causes of HG. The Wild Yam root that I'm taking is in a forumula for the endocrine system. http://www.purenhealthy.com/Mannatec...p/man-1005.htm

Because I'm taking so many things, I'm not sure exactly what it is that is keeping me N/V free. I'm not about to start subracting to figure it out though!

Wishing you the best possible pregnancy for you!

#37 of 153 Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM

Thanks Spark! I am going to start the Wild Yam Root as soon as I get the official BFP. :

linguistmama
#38 of 153 Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 PM

I'm glad you're feeling better this time Spark!
I took milk thistle, a multivitamin and b complex for 5 months before getting pregnant and also tried the wild yam root at the bfp.
Promethazine works really well for me so I'm feeling ok now. But we would like to have a third child and I'm not sure if I want to do this again. I hope to get some good adrenal and thyroid support and see if that would enable me to get off medication. If I was able to then we would have a third and hopefully I would not be sick or at least less sick.

#39 of 153 Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad the Promethazine is working so well for you. I'm just so sorry you're sick. HG is just ugly! I hope you get a repreive soon or do you usually have HG the entire 9 months?

Good to know that the Milk Thistle, B6, Wild Yam Root isn't everyone's silver bullet.

#40 of 153 Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
I'm so glad the Promethazine is working so well for you. I'm just so sorry you're sick. HG is just ugly! I hope you get a repreive soon or do you usually have HG the entire 9 months?

Good to know that the Milk Thistle, B6, Wild Yam Root isn't everyone's silver bullet.
I had HG the whole time with dd, but at the end I only needed a very small dose of meds every few days. In some ways my hg is pretty mild compared to others. At least something works for me, even if it is drugs!

#41 of 153 Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Hi Spark -

I have some questions for you.....

Do you know anything about All Adrenal, Raw Thyroid or Raw Pituitary?

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=1110

My nutritionist is a 75 year old man that isn't really sure about taking these during pregnancy.

I'm also taking a Liver support from bovine b/c I don't have a gallbladder.

I had severe HG with my oldest, NOTHING with my second (but wonder if it's b/c I was breastfeeding????) and am hoping to avoid it this time as well. Anyone breastfeed and still have HG?

I guess I'll also jump on the other recommendations and start the Wild Yam cream....

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#42 of 153 Old 11-18-2007, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I just don't know about that supplement. I'm sorry. I don't know that.

I breastfed during my 2nd pregnancy & it was much easier than my severe morning sickness 1st. Then, I breastfed during my 3rd pregnancy and was really womped on with HG. I never saw it comin'.

The wild yam should probably be in tincture or capsule form as opposed to cream, fyi. Although, cream might work, too. I REALLY like the Wild Yam combo I'm on. I linked it on page 2.

Best wishes!!!!

#43 of 153 Old 11-18-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelife View Post
Hi Spark -

I have some questions for you.....

Do you know anything about All Adrenal, Raw Thyroid or Raw Pituitary?

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=1110

My nutritionist is a 75 year old man that isn't really sure about taking these during pregnancy.

I'm also taking a Liver support from bovine b/c I don't have a gallbladder.

I had severe HG with my oldest, NOTHING with my second (but wonder if it's b/c I was breastfeeding????) and am hoping to avoid it this time as well. Anyone breastfeed and still have HG?

I guess I'll also jump on the other recommendations and start the Wild Yam cream....
Have you subbed to the adrenal fatigue thread? http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=685848
I'm looking into thyroid/adrenal issues as a possible cause of my hg. With this pregnancy I have continued to breastfeed dd a few times a day and have been sicker. Her breastfeeding didn't seem to make me feel sicker while nursing though.

#44 of 153 Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd give my own update. I'm 7 weeks, 1 day now. I have very very slight nausea. Best pregnancy so far!

I went to my naturopath who tweaked my protocol a bit. So, right now I take:
Upon BFP, I started:
150 mg of B-6 spread out into 3 doses (just cheap stuff from grocery store, I take vit C for absorbtion)
Milk Thistle 3x per day
Extra folic acid (800 mcg total)
Probiotics (Kefir)
Water with lemon
Enzymes before meals Simplexity Health Enzymes
1 unisom at bedtime (along with one of the B-6's) - I take this only because of my history with severe Nausea and Vomitting in Pregnancy (NVP)
CHANGES
A-F Betafood by Standard Process http://www.riverofhealth.net/pages/d...s_sp/0775.html
Cod Liver Oil Caplets (I haven't had meat/fish/foul in 23 years, so far I'm doing fine with it.)
Dropped the WIld Yam Root in PLUS[/b]

Remember, it's easier on your body to be proactive rather than reactive! Wishing you all the best possible pregnancy for YOU!

#45 of 153 Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM

We're probably ttc next summer so I've already started with my Milk Thistle. I had wicked nausea with my last two pregnancies. :

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#46 of 153 Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 PM

I just bought some milk thistle today at the store. When I got home I read on the back, "Do not use if pregnant or nursing..." When I flipped the bottle over I saw that I bought milk thistle seed with 80% Silymarin. I'm confused now, I thought this was safe to take during pregancy?
#47 of 153 Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
I just bought some milk thistle today at the store. When I got home I read on the back, "Do not use if pregnant or nursing..." When I flipped the bottle over I saw that I bought milk thistle seed with 80% Silymarin. I'm confused now, I thought this was safe to take during pregancy?
My milk thistle does not say this, but my prenatal vitamins do. I think that most supplements say this for litigious reasons.
#48 of 153 Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Just subbing, this is stuff I need to know (not for me ).
#49 of 153 Old 12-22-2007, 02:21 AM

Here is my update, maybe it will be helpful for someone else:

I am almost 6 months and was down to 1 promethazine tablet a day. I went to a chiropractor's office and got tested with the CEDS machine. They gave me 2 homeopathic remedies which I responded really well too. I'm now down to 1/4 of a tablet a day and hoping to soon wean off completely! If I need some extra help I will probably get accupuncture to see if it gets me the rest of the way. I feel so much better in general.
When I was tested my liver and vitamin levels tested as good. I took B-vitamins and milk thistle for 5 months before conceiving and up until I got sick and couldn't stand to swallow them. I think the reason that they didn't help is that my vitamins and liver were fine, they were still doing well even after being sick for so long. I realized I had some thyroid and pancreas issues and they have improved so much with the homeopathic treatments.
Next time we want to conceive I plan to get some more ceds testing and then more as needed to hopefully get my body in good shape.
My midwife reccomended the chiro's office and they have been so helpful. I feel like it is such a miracle and a blessing!

#50 of 153 Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 PM

I stopped by my local health food store this evening to talk to them about getting some Milk Thistle and Wild Yam Root. They were very worried that I was considering this for preventing MS and highly recommended I don't take anything that will detox my system. They said that WYR was highly contraindicated while pg. They looked everything up in their literature and everything. I'm confused.......
I didn't have it very badly as I know most of you ladies have, I just had the the middle of the night wake up and have to head to the bathroom quick, incidents with my others though. I really want to avoid this, this time. I like the suggestions about the dandelion root and ginger.....
What can I take to prevent the middle of the night adventures this time?

And I also heard that RRL tea isn't advisable to drink or take while early pg? I thought this also helped prevent ms? I want to head it off before it hits.....I am 4 1/2 weeks right now. TFTH.

Kelli, Mom to DS 9/18/00, DD 10/18/03,and DS 8/16/08. ,,,,
#51 of 153 Old 12-23-2007, 09:46 AM

EthansMom, I just did a quick google search, and wild yam and milk thistle are listed as a common aid for morning sickness in too many pages to site. They have been deemed safe according to numerous sites. I do not think it is advisable to do a system detox when you are pregnant, but the amount I am taking is only enough to support your system. (I am only doing the milk thistle.)

I know that the workers at the store I visit are knowledgeable, but I would not trust them to be my all knowing source of information on herbs, minerals and vitamins. I always do my own research.

RRL tea can be used in pregnancy. You have to drink in moderation (I read 1-2 cups) because in high amounts it can cause uterine irritably. If you have a high risk pregnancy you should not drink any.

Hope that helps!
#52 of 153 Old 12-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Thanks blissfull! I googled too and kept coming up with preventing ms protocalls saying they were safe. I am waiting for my MW to get back after the Holiday and talk to her about it. I'm hoping to hold out until then. My ms doesn't usually start until 6 weeks, so I should have enough time to research and talk to her. There is also another HFS near me with a very knowledgeable homeopath who can hopefully give me more insight too. I was thinking of doing the chewable prenatal, B6/vit C, dandelion root, probiotic, and chewing on fennell/anise seed. Do you all think this would be preventative or works better when alreay in the throws of it. I am feeling the need to do more research on the WYR and MT before I commit to trying it. I am still unsure as to how long you are supposed to take them? And I am confused as to how many/much you are supposed to take too, everything I read says something different. Sorry, I am fairly new to the supplement realm, really only knowing about homeopathy more than herbs. Has anyone tried the magnesium to prevent leg cramps at night yet? I tried a peice of candied ginger last night.......yuck. Do the capsules taste better/not at all? And I also read about drinking apple cider vin and honey before bed and before getting up in the morning prevents ms.....anyone?

#53 of 153 Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthansMom View Post
Thanks blissfull! I googled too and kept coming up with preventing ms protocalls saying they were safe. I am waiting for my MW to get back after the Holiday and talk to her about it. I'm hoping to hold out until then. My ms doesn't usually start until 6 weeks, so I should have enough time to research and talk to her. There is also another HFS near me with a very knowledgeable homeopath who can hopefully give me more insight too.
Those are some good resources to talk all of this over with.
Quote:
I was thinking of doing the chewable prenatal, B6/vit C, dandelion root, probiotic, and chewing on fennell/anise seed. Do you all think this would be preventative or works better when alreay in the throws of it.
I have no idea. Maybe your midwife or the homeopath will know.
Quote:
I am feeling the need to do more research on the WYR and MT before I commit to trying it. I am still unsure as to how long you are supposed to take them? And I am confused as to how many/much you are supposed to take too, everything I read says something different.
I had this problem too with quantities. I am taking 100mg of milk thistle three times a day. I think I will take the milk thistle through the first trimester and then reassess. The extra B6 was making me feel nauseated, so I am not taking that anymore. My prenatal has enough.
Quote:
Sorry, I am fairly new to the supplement realm, really only knowing about homeopathy more than herbs. Has anyone tried the magnesium to prevent leg cramps at night yet? I tried a peice of candied ginger last night.......yuck. Do the capsules taste better/not at all? And I also read about drinking apple cider vin and honey before bed and before getting up in the morning prevents ms.....anyone?
I am not doing magnesium. I have heard about the apple cider vinegar. I do not think I could get it down. I have the ginger capsules. They have no taste, but I think you are supposed to take them until you do taste them.
#54 of 153 Old 12-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Blissfull,
You have been so helpful thank you! And Merry Christmas.

#55 of 153 Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Oh good! Merry Christmas to you too!
#56 of 153 Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM

:

Resistance is futile Matey
#57 of 153 Old 01-11-2008, 03:50 AM

:
#58 of 153 Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just saying hello so I can find this thread again

Mom to Kira March 2009
#59 of 153 Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I turned 6 weeks yesterday and and having the awfulness of nausea. I always have with all my pregnancies. I don't have a lot of vomiting this time though, but do feel nausious and yucky throughout the day. Before reading the thread I started drinking water with lemon or lime. I don't know why it just sounded good to me.

So now that I have been PG for a few weeks and dealing with nausea for a week or so can I expect relief from starting the milk thisle? I just started taking a prenatal that has the B6 in it. So that should take care of that. I'll try anything that can help me. I want to know what I can reasonably expect to feel if starting now. I'm so down right now feeling like this. This is the fifth time I'm having to deal with this. I hate to admit it but I'm at the point where I don't even know what I was thinking to want another baby. I know I don't really mean that and if I felt better I would never think that way, but I don't like not being the "mom" that my kids deserve. I feel like such a bad mom and wife right now. The house is a mess, my kids haven't been doing their homeschool lessons, etc. I need help.

~Married to Hubby for 15 years~
Mama to 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and #6 due in May!
#60 of 153 Old 01-25-2008, 01:06 PM

What about taking milk thistle seeds in a tea? I bought some to make into a tea to help with my gallbladder problems but then got pregnant and thought I shouldn't drink it. Could a tea help with m/s or is it weaker and thus pretty useless? I am only 5 weeks and m/s hasn't kicked in yet.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page