Preventing/Reducing Morning Sickness and Hyperemsis Gravidarum (herbs & more!) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 153 Old 02-18-2007, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's talk morning sickness and Hyperemesis Gravidarum prevention, okay?

With my first - I didn't eat very much for 3 months, didn't vomit once & lost 14 lbs.
With my second - I did a lot of pregnancy prep beforehand, had nausea and vomitting, but not bad & ended up only losing 6 lbs. My prep wasn't focused on nausea/vomiting.
With my third - my body and mind went into shock, I was hospitalized many times, I could not function, I lost 22 lbs from week 5-12, I vomited until I delivered. It was awful and I can not put my family through that ever again.

Thinking I would love to add one more person to our family sometime, I'm trying to research ways to prevent/reduce morning sickness.

UPDATE We ended up getting pregnant again! I had been prepping for about a year after doing a postpartum cleanse. Everything paid off!!!! Not only did I NEVER get nauseous or vomit, but I actually gained weight my first trimester! I credit pre-pregnancy prepping and IMMEDIATE preemptive treatment upon pos pregnancy test with this! More details in the thread about what I specifically chose to do. What I did.

This is what seems the most effective:

1. B-6 Prenatally. 50 mg 3x per day (can't absorb a lot at a time) with Vitamin C. I actually did this while TTC #2 but not for the morning sickness relief. Not by coincidence it was my easiest pregnancy as far as nausea and vomiting go. Use during first trimester and beyond if nausea persists.

2. And, then this is really the big one (i've posted this elsewhere, too, fyi)
Milk Thistle - 2 caplets per day (bottle should say at least 70% silymarin)Prepregnancy & 3 caplets per day once confirmed.

I've recently come across some really REALLY wonderful info for mamas who suffered from Morning Sickness or hyperemisis (HG) in other pregnancies or dealing with current liver / gallbladder issues.

The information & success stories look SO good!
Here's a link at MDC where the mamas in a due date group tried it (also Dandelion Root which is similar) http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=738798

I came women swearing by Milk Thistle for battling M/S It's used 2 months+ before conception & then through the 1st trimester or nausea ends. Here is the program according to Shonda Barker, Naturally Healthy Pregnancy (this is a wonderful book with great info and the author presents it in a very faith based format:
Quote:
If morning sickness was a problem during a previous pregnancy, milk thistle extrat (standarized to contian at least 70% silymarin) is of great benefit to aid the liver's functions. Recommened amount: 280 mg per day. Dandelion is a gentler liver stimulant if a milder liver tonic is desired.
(p23)
The Milk Thistle preconception seems to be the most important time to take it, and then continue during pregnancy. I'll just add that during pregnancy info, since the borrowed book is in front of me right now.

Quote:
I have tried many remedies during my pregnancies - some have worked well, some worked a little, others worked not at all. I had hyperemesis gravidum (vomitting repeatedly, unable to hold anything down) with my eldest child which was medically treated... With my fourth child, I had no morning sickness whatsoever...
I have come to believe through my own experience and the experience of others that the root of the problem for many women is inadequate liver support during a period of greater demands on this vital organ. If moms begin preparing their bodies for pregnancy prior to conception they will have a better chance of avoiding morning sickness (as well as other factors).
(lists morning sickness recommendations)
2. I have found milk thistle (standardized to contain at least 70% - 80% silymarin) to be invaluable in preventing morning sickness. I began taking 2 tablets each day two months prior to this pregnancy and increased to 3 tablets daily when our pregnancy was confirmed. Milk thistle is liver supportive and protective. I feel this is why it worked so well to prevent the nausea and vomiting I have had with every other pregnancy. This would be especially helpful for those mom who vommit bile during pregnancy.

(p170-171)
From her website:
Quote:
Morning Sickness
Q.I just wanted to let you know that I am at the beginning of my 7th pregnancy...the 6th one that has gotten a good start....and for the very first time have not experienced the horrible morning sickness and exhaustion that I have with all the others! I believe it is the mercy and blessing of God through the advice that you offer...Entrox, Milk thistle Phytosome and AbsorbAid three times a day with meals along with a good prenatal and calcium. I'm still in total amazement and awe! I only hoped it would really work, but was skeptical until now! I have a friend who tried this as well with her 5th pregnancy with the same astounding results!!! WOW! I can't tell you how grateful I am to be able to be a "normal" mommy to my other children while carrying a new babe!! I had asked many months ago about a different source for the Milk Thistle Phytosome by Natural Factors as well as the Entrox...because I could not obtain those locally. I did find a source for Entrox by NOW that does not have any added Vitamin E. (just an FYI) Also, Enzymatic Therapy makes a Silybin Phytosome that I think is very similar if not the same as the milk thistle phytosome you recommend...and there are a few web sites that sell this brand. I bought mine from Vitamin Shoppe. The NOW Entrox I bought through BetterLife.com. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know so if you have opportunity to pass it along to other moms weary of morning sickness....again, I so appreciate your help! You are an angel! I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your new babe. love, Natalie

A. Natalie, I’m thrilled to hear of other mothers benefiting as I did from these three supplements during early pregnancy “sick” times. May God be praised!
3. If you are going to use medicine for nausea/vomitting starting them at the very first sign of nausea, is best.

4. Whole foods diet & water with lemon. Eating well and drinking well puts less stress on the liver. Lemon is a very gentle liver detoxifier.

5. Wild Yam Root - After pregnancy has been confirmed, at the very very first signs of nausea take this herb. Do NOT take it while TTC, it can have a birth control effect. 1 to 2 tsp three times of day of the dried wild yam herb. As tincture take 2 to 4 mL three times daily. It's also good for threatened miscarriage. From http://www.sisterzeus.com/wildyam.htm
"Wild yam has many effects on the body, among other things, its very good for the liver and endocrine system, by toning and nourishing the liver it helps to balance hormone production. Wild yam is very well known for its steroidal saponins (chemical constitutes in the plant) contained within particularly diosgein, an important hormonal precursor for progesterone. Precursors provide necessary elements or building blocks to produce and balance the hormones progesterone and cortisone." It's also used for threatened miscarriages because it affects progesterone levels. It's not a very studied herb by the medical community. Herbalists & Midwives have been using it routinely for years for other pregnancy related and menopausal issues.

This is from an e-mail to our local parents group:
Quote:
Removed because I didn't have permission from original author. Basically said Wild Yam Root saved her pregnancy.

6. Ginger - Use at the slightest sign of nausea after pregnancy has been confirmed. The rule of thumb for amount of ginger is to take it until you can taste it. At that point, your body has had enough.
From Naturally Healthy Pregnancy by Shonda Parker pg 171:
Quote:
The herb ginger has recieved a great deal of praise and validation from the scientific community due to its superior ability to curb nausea and vommitting associated with pregnancy, seasickness, motion sickness, stomach virus and post-operative nausea. Morning sickness treated with ginger had a 75% success rate in clinical trials. Daniel B. Mowrey, Ph.D. stated in his book, Herbal Tonic Therapies, that the best form of ginger for effective application in the gastrointensinal tract is the encapsulated powder. The main rule of the with ginger root is, "Use it till you taste it." This is gingers own built-in dosage regulator. A general dosage for morning sickness is 3 to 5 capsules before getting out of bed. After taking the capsules, mom should stay in bed until the nausea is relieved, then she should take 3 to 5 capsules at the slightest hint of nausea.
7. False Unicorn tincture - This is similar to Wild Yam Root. Take it at first sign of nausea. Works well in unison with False Unicorn. http://www.natural-medicinal-herbs.c...se-unicorn.htm Dosage: As tincture 1/2-1 teaspoon of false unicorn is recommended three times daily. If taking the dried root, take 1/4-1/2 teaspoon (1-2 grams) three times per day.

8. Homeopathy - Most homeopaths agree that pre-TTC is the best time to start a reginime if you've had a history of severe M/S or HG during previous pregnancies. Going to a trained homepath ASAP is really important. If you feel like you want to look into homeopathic care, here's a good link to determine which remedy would be best for you. Keep in mind that there's NO substitute for a trained homeopathic Dr. though! http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2243000.html and in quiz form http://abchomeopathy.com/c.php/95

What else do you think would help eliminate vomitting pre-pregnancy/1st trimester? (I'm not looking for crackers and flat 7-Up suggestions, we're talking prevention)
dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#2 of 153 Old 02-20-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Edited: I just condenced this to the original post to make it easier to read.

#3 of 153 Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM

Claire, that is sooo interesting! i really hope that you do add another person to your family (are we talking soon?!) and that you are able to avoid HG this time.

love love love,
c

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#4 of 153 Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Awww, Chrissy, thank you.

I'm not talking anytime too soon. (I have a slightly problematic IUD in right now) Perhaps the end of the year to TTC. My husband and I have both been feeling like there is one more someone to join our family. We're looking into adoption though, too. I feel like the best option will present itself. In the mean time I've been researching about morning sickness prevention (as you see! ).

#5 of 153 Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 PM

Thank you! I have hyperemesis gravidarum with my first pregnancy and I just found out that I'm pregnant agian. I hope this works for me. I lost 20 lbs in my 1st trimester and I never gained it all back throughout my pregnancy so I'm hoping that doesn't happen agian.
#6 of 153 Old 03-03-2007, 02:16 AM

Thank you!!!!!!!! We are going to ttc again soon and I have already started my b vitamins. I have 2 questions. 1. Is the milk thistle ok to take while nursing? and 2. Are some forms of vitamins better than others, ie liquid versus pellet from Walmart type?

:::
#7 of 153 Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaels-Mommy View Post
Thank you! I have hyperemesis gravidarum with my first pregnancy and I just found out that I'm pregnant agian. I hope this works for me. I lost 20 lbs in my 1st trimester and I never gained it all back throughout my pregnancy so I'm hoping that doesn't happen agian.
I hope this pregnancy goes smoothly for you -- may you have many rolls on your back. That's a GOOD thing, ya know!

I'd do the Milk Thistle & the Wild Yam Root right away. Have you tried either yet? How are you feeling right now?

#8 of 153 Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Thank you!!!!!!!! We are going to ttc again soon and I have already started my b vitamins. I have 2 questions. 1. Is the milk thistle ok to take while nursing? and 2. Are some forms of vitamins better than others, ie liquid versus pellet from Walmart type?
Ooh, best wishes! If nausea vomitting was an issue last time, I'd at least try to get in a couple months before TTC of Milk Thistle or Dandelion.

1. Milk Thistle is fine to take while nursing. It's a mild liver detox, but mild enough to take while nursing. that said, if you want to go even milder, you could do dandelion root instead.

2. Absorbency is the main issue with vitamins and herbs. Any Port-o-Potty worker will tell you the main thing that gets caught in the screens at the processing place -- Centrum Once-a-Day vitamins. They're cheap and they just don't get absorbed. There are some things that I go cheap on - I have a high quality once a day vitamin with B-6 in it, but then I would probably get a cheap B-6 to use in addition to the multi- to get the right amount. None of the cheap B-6 I've read lately have any vitamin C in them though. Which then defeats the purpose of absorbtion. I think you need to let your heart be your guide when deciding between a couple extra dollars.

Wishing everyone a not-so-nauseous and very healthy pregnancy!

#9 of 153 Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
2. Absorbency is the main issue with vitamins and herbs. Any Port-o-Potty worker will tell you the main thing that gets caught in the screens at the processing place -- Centrum Once-a-Day vitamins. They're cheap and they just don't get absorbed. There are some things that I go cheap on - I have a high quality once a day vitamin with B-6 in it, but then I would probably get a cheap B-6 to use in addition to the multi- to get the right amount. None of the cheap B-6 I've read lately have any vitamin C in them though. Which then defeats the purpose of absorbtion. I think you need to let your heart be your guide when deciding between a couple extra dollars.
I would definately like to spend the extra money for good vitamins. The multivitamin I take is a NOW brand liquid in a capsule and it says high potency and fast absorbtion. Is that good and can I trust what the bottle says or is there something else I should look for?
I cannot thank you enough for helping me not be so sick next time around!

#10 of 153 Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ooh, yes, I think NOW is really a good brand. really anything you'd find in a health food store is going to be good. I'm not the most "in the know" when it comes to actually rating supplements though. Although, I do know things like CVS brand... not so good. How much B-6 does your multivitamin have right now? The body can only absorb so much at one time, so if it has 50mg, then adding another 50mg B6 with vit C later in the day would really help.

I hope some of this information works for you! I just needed some place to dump all the research I've been coming across. I hope others voice up, too. If something helped you, tell us!

Logically, it seems like Nausea/Vomitting during pregnancy might be caused by different things for different people. For me I think B-6 really seems to play a part. It's mainly found in organ meats and also in wheatgerm. I'm veg and I don't eat a lot of wheat germ, so I figure that's got to be a component for me.

The two things I'm the most excited about are the Milk Thistle pre-pregnancy/pregnancy and the Wild Yam Root at the first sign of nausea. Women who have really followed a program with one or the other are raving!

#11 of 153 Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 PM

My multivitamin has 50mg of B6 so I am going to go get some more that are just the B6 and Vitamin C. I think the B-6 is a huge component for me as well. When I was pregnant with dd the B6 shots worked very well for a couple of weeks and then didn't seem to have any effect.
Thanks!

#12 of 153 Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So would the milk thistle be ok to take once you are already pregnant? Or does it not work as well? How do you take the ginger? Capsule? Fresh?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#13 of 153 Old 05-01-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the Milk Thistle supports the liver and is good to take if you're already pregnant. It would be the suggested 3 capsules above. It would help more to do it pre-pregnancy, but still it would help.

The ginger is most recommended in capsule form - (powder inside the capsule). You take it until you can taste it. From Naturally Healthy Pregnancy by Shonda Parker pg 171:
Quote:
The herb ginger has recieved a great deal of praise and validation from the scientific community due to its superior ability to curb nausea and vommitting associated with pregnancy, seasickness, motion sickness, stomach virus and post-operative nausea. Morning sickness treated with ginger had a 75% success rate in clinical trials. Daniel B. Mowrey, Ph.D. stated in his book, Herbal Tonic Therapies, that the best form of ginger for effective application in the gastrointensinal tract is the encapsulated powder. The main rule of the with ginger root is, "Use it till you taste it." This is gingers own built-in dosage regulator. A general dosage for morning sickness is 3 to 5 capsules before getting out of bed. After taking the capsules, mom should stay in bed until the nausea is relieved, then she should take 3 to 5 capsules at the slightest hint of nausea.
I'd definitely look into Wild Yam Root, too, especially if you think it might be hormonal.

Best wishes!

#14 of 153 Old 05-16-2007, 01:52 PM

Claire, thank you so much for sharing this information! I have some questions that maybe you or someone else can answer. Forgive me if they are a bit pedantic! I am not all that familiar with the world of supplements.

1. Is it OK to take a B complex with vit C, or is it better to take just the B6?

2. OK to take 100mg B6 (either alone or in complex) twice a day? 50mg seems to be hard to find for some reason.

3. If taking a B6 without vit. C, is it OK to add vit. C separately? If so, hhow much, and which form? I hear sodium ascorbate is the most easily absorbed; is that correct?

4. The milk thistle sounds so promising! Recommended above is 280mg/day. I have some 500mg caps in the cabinet -- OK to take a couple of those a day instead? Or is it too much?

5. Is it for some reason prefereable to take MT capsules? What about tincture?

I'm hoping to feel much better next time around. I've never been sicker than the first half of my first pregnancy, and it was deeply depresssing for me.

Thanks a ton!

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#15 of 153 Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
5. Wild Yam Root - After pregnancy has been confirmed, at the very very first signs of nausea take this herb. Do NOT take it while TTC, it can have a birth control effect. 1 to 2 tsp three times of day of the dried wild yam herb. As tincture take 2 to 4 mL three times daily. It's also good for threatened miscarriage. From http://www.sisterzeus.com/wildyam.htm "Wild yam has many effects on the body, among other things, its very good for the liver and endocrine system, by toning and nourishing the liver it helps to balance hormone production. Wild yam is very well known for its steroidal saponins (chemical constitutes in the plant) contained within particularly diosgein, an important hormonal precursor for progesterone. Precursors provide necessary elements or building blocks to produce and balance the hormones progesterone and cortisone." It's also used for threatened miscarriages because it affects progesterone levels. It's not a very studied herb by the medical community. Herbalists & Midwives have been using it routinely for years for other pregnancy related and menopausal issues.
Another option is a natural progesterone cream made from the Wild Yam Root. Apparently it's absorbed into the body so it can help even better this route. You rub the cream (two times per day) on your wrists, hands, and throat and upper chest (?) -- wherever you have "thin skin".

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#16 of 153 Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeospero View Post
2. OK to take 100mg B6 (either alone or in complex) twice a day? 50mg seems to be hard to find for some reason.
I cut my 100mg pills in quarters. You shouldn't take more than 100mg (perhaps 150??) per day when pregnant. Some health reason, but I don't know why.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#17 of 153 Old 05-30-2007, 02:07 AM

Hi everybody! I was so encouraged to find this site! When I had HG I was on my own. I've tried just about everything, but was glad to read about Entox and AbsorbAid. What are the key ingredients in these products? What is the theory behind why they should work? Please keep posting on how this all works for you. I've had HG several times and will not give up hope that there is something out there that can help. I'm hosting a free TeleConference with Camilia Harris who wrote The Good, The Bad, The Blessing. She had Hyperemesis Gravidarum, too. Camilia would like to share her story and take questions. I want to offer lots of these free TeleConferences to help support those who have morning sickness. It's an easy way to provide help for those suffering without anyone having to leave home! You can choose to listen in and/or talk from your phone, in your bathrobe, if you wish. This TeleConference is free and can be accessed by visiting my webpage www.relievemorningsickness.com or my websiste www.mymorningsickness.com (TeleSeminar link) I would also like input too from others on morning sickness related topics that you would like to hear a discussion on. This is important to me because I suffered so much in all my pregnancies and would have benefited from any and every resource, like this forum!, that was available. Please listen in, if you can. I take this seriously because I know how miserable HG is! Keep posting your ideas on herbs,etc. This is great. Wendy
#18 of 153 Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 AM

I discovered this thread while researching ways to prevent morning sickness next time around! I was horribly sick with my first pregnancy- lost nearly 25 pounds and only just gained it back in week 40. DH and I are pretty sure we are going to TTC late summer, and I want to do *something* in attempt to feel better this time. I am reading about the milk thistle, wild yam root, and B-6 with interest. I did take some B-6 during my first pregnancy but I don't believe it had vit C and it certainly did nothing to help when I could not keep it down for more than 5 minutes Where can I find milk thistle and wild yam root? Is there a particular brand that is recommended? I don't take vitamins and supplements at all right now and actually never really have- so I'm not really sure where to start looking.

Thanks!
#19 of 153 Old 06-10-2007, 06:58 PM

I get mine at the health food store.

#20 of 153 Old 06-10-2007, 07:09 PM

First- -I hope this pregnancy is emisis-free!

Secondly-- THANK YOU for starting this thread!

I have copy/pasted into my prenatal care folder on my hard drive!

Thanks to all the other mama's who have posted too!
#21 of 153 Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 AM

My plan for a nausea free pregnancy next time...

PreNatal Blend by SuperNutrition 6 tablets a day
Milk thistle (3 a day with meals)
Ultra Omega 3 NOW brand 2000 EPA/1000 DHA
Absorb-Aid (2 with each meal) enzymes

NOW gr8dopholis high quality, 8 strain, entric coated Probiotic (1-2 capsules
every time food goes into mouth)

MorningSicknessBalm as needed or 1/4 tsp 3x a day, a ginger tincture, from
http://www.Mountainmeadowherbs.com

I plan to start with the milk thistle and the fish oilaprox 6 months before STARTING TO TRY FOR A BABY and then add the rest of the supplements when pregnancy is confirmed. ALso I will probably take the Ginger stuff before TTC too. I already take the multivitamin...its great!!I may try to start the EFA oils supplement befoe concieving too, but the LIVER is a HUGE key in the morning sickness thing. I maybe will do a few liver detoxes also before trying for a baby! I dont plan on having too much nausea.

I also have the option of Raw Apple Cidar Vinegar too, if I want it.

I have had Morning sickness pretty bad and Ive had 3 babies. Ive did enough research,now I just hope I can get pregnant when the time comes to try for a baby!

I have read of women after taking the Absorb-Aid, Milk Thistle and the Entrox, they have pretty much nausea free pregnancies, and it takes almsot all Morning Sickness away!!! I think its going to work!!
#22 of 153 Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

This is so cool to see this thread still going strong! I wasn't online for a long time & it's neat to see posts still going!

I added another herb for nausea in pregnancy. It's False Unicorn tincture.

I think prepping pre-TTC is soooo important, especially for any woman with a history of nausea/vomitting during pregnancy. And, ESPECIALLY for anyone like me who had HG in a prior pregnancy.

My DH and I are still planning to decide at the end of the year if we want to TTC or not. We've talked about it on & off, and we're still not agreeing. I'm envisioning at the end of the year us both feeling the same way in our hearts (whichever way that is). I pray my desires merge with his a bit more. That said, I love him a lot more than an imaginary baby!

Happy prepping & gestating! If any of you end up pregnant, PLEASE, post what you did & about your nausea level!

#23 of 153 Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Thank you so much for this thread! I had HG with my last pregnancy and praying that I don't this time, I don't know if I can handle it again. Especially now that I have 2 running around, and one that needs a bit extra attention.

Last time the m/s started at 2 weeks, this time it just started over the weekend. I'm thankful that I've had this long without it! I'm hoping I can do something to keep it from getting bad.

So, off to read and take notes!

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#24 of 153 Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 PM

Spark, your info here and on the HER site has really, really helped me! Thank you for being such a huge advocate for helping women with HG, this pg has been radically different (still not "GREAT") in many ways because of you.

I'm still on the WYR and now I'm on it for PTL. It's my miracle this time.

Thanks!
#25 of 153 Old 10-12-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwmommysings View Post
Spark, your info here and on the HER site has really, really helped me! Thank you for being such a huge advocate for helping women with HG, this pg has been radically different (still not "GREAT") in many ways because of you.

I'm still on the WYR and now I'm on it for PTL. It's my miracle this time.

Thanks!
Oh, Jessica, thank you for saying such kind sweet words. I am sooo pulling for you! You and your babe are in my thoughts & sending you lots of stay put, calming vibes! Have you thought about adding False Unicorn tincture, too? I'll go PM you the info I have on it...

#26 of 153 Old 11-03-2007, 04:31 PM

I don't want to rock the statistics, but I'll just post my 3 pregnancy experiences:

#1 - moderate morning sickness, occasional vomiting.
- tried accupressure bracelets, ginger, lemon.
- took a multivitamin and occasional flax oil.

#2 - mild to moderate morning sickness, occasional vomiting, PUPPPs rash after delivery
- tried accupressure bracelets, homeopathy.
- took a multivitamin, flax oil, occasional probiotic, occasional More Milk Two tincture.

#3 - severe morning sickness, vomitting, weight loss.
- tried accupressure bracelets, ginger, lemon, homeopathy, B6/Unisom for 10 weeks.
- took prenatal multivitamin, flax oil, vegan DHA, Perfect Food, probiotic, vegan protein powder, coconut milk, dandelion root 2-3x per day, milk thistle every other day, pregnancy tea, Tums (because of the acid from vomitting so much) . And I ate a ton of strawberries, one of the few things I could stomach, so I know I was getting ample vitamin C!

I was taking the dandelion root and milk thistle to avoid the PUPPPs rash with #3, which I did avoid successfully. But that was by far the worst morning sickness I have ever experienced. I could only keep water down many times. So for me those two herbs absolutely did not help my morning sickness. However, I will try taking them prenatally next time (if it's not a 4th Oops Baby!).

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#27 of 153 Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Ooh, Krista, thank you for posting this! Good work avoiding PUPPs. Pupps & severe morning sickness are both related to the liver in many eastern practices. Can I ask you some questions about your program for #3?
- Did you start Milk Thistle prenatally? Or at least as soon as BFP? When did you start it & how much were you taking?
- Did you start B6/Unisom at BFP?
- Ginger, what form did you take it in & how much/when did you start it?
- What was the coconut milk for? I haven't heard of that for morning sickness.

#28 of 153 Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 PM

I need a bit of clarification on the milk thistle. I believe it stated 3 caps for a max of 280mg. I have found capsules of varying strengths, so would this be 3 100mg capsules a day? I also found 70mg, among others.
#29 of 153 Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, I'd probably do the 3 x 100mg personally. But, you could certainly max out at 4 of the 70mg split over 4 times during the day. Or combine one dose at 2 caps. I think it's totally your preference. Wishing you a healthy & easy pregnancy!

#30 of 153 Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Ooh, Krista, thank you for posting this! Good work avoiding PUPPs. Pupps & severe morning sickness are both related to the liver in many eastern practices. Can I ask you some questions about your program for #3?
- Did you start Milk Thistle prenatally? Or at least as soon as BFP? When did you start it & how much were you taking?
- Did you start B6/Unisom at BFP?
- Ginger, what form did you take it in & how much/when did you start it?
- What was the coconut milk for? I haven't heard of that for morning sickness.
Milk Thistle - started around 6 weeks (didn't know I was pregnant until 5 weeks) as soon as the slightest morning sickness started, but wasn't taking it every day at first.
B6/Unisom - I was already taking B6, but was nervous about the Unisom with 2 other kids to care for, so I waited until I was dying , so I took it from week 15-26.
Ginger - I used the natural crystallized form, very spicy tasting.
Coconut milk - It just made all of the smoothie ingredients palatable, plus it has lots of healthy fats.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page