Can I safely get a deep tissue massage during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH gave me a gift certificate for my birthday to get a deep tissue massage and made the appointment for this Saturday. I will be almost 6 weeks PG. I've heard before that some types of massage, and during certain timeframes of pregnancy, are contraindicated. Does anyone know any ore detail about this? I had a chemical pregnancy in Nov. so I just want to be sure it's safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oops...found the answer to my own question on the 'net. This particular type of massage is contraindicated during pregnancy. I will stick with the manicure/pedicure part for Saturday and have a wonderful massage post partum
Old 02-19-2007, 08:54 PM

any way the spa will honor the gift certificate and let you substitute a prenatal massage instead?

massage during pregnancy...aaaah! it's what got me through those last few weeks. heavenly!

ps...congrats!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:16 PM

as an LMT who treats pregnant women, I don't see clients until they hit second trimester and while some deeper tissue work is fine after that point, you want to see a therapist who knows what they are doing with a pregnant mama. I bet the spa could sub in a prenatal session but I would wait a few weeks if I were you...! Massage does not cause miscarriage in the early stages, but it can contribute to one if the body is heading that way.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but Peggy O'Mara's book says that mani/pedi is contraindicated during pregnancy. I think there are real health issues around this because the Bay Area has a worker protection law in effect in salons aimed at the chemicals in nail polish to protect pregnant employees.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but Peggy O'Mara's book says that mani/pedi is contraindicated during pregnancy. I think there are real health issues around this because the Bay Area has a worker protection law in effect in salons aimed at the chemicals in nail polish to protect pregnant employees.
Dad gummit, I looked this up, too, and you're right. At the very least, for the first trimester. Ugh. My poor DH thought he was doing the perfect thing for me! THANK YOU for bringing it to my attention, I genuinely appreciate it.

kidspiration -- thanks for the congrats

When I called the salon, they did indeed say I could sub a prental massage. Although I might accept later when I become more uncomfortable, I declined for now b/c I know how badly I crave the deep tissue massage due to horrendous trigger points I tend to develop, and how normally I can't afford to do anything about it, and having that for post partum would be awesome.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
That's news to me!! I get a mani every 2 weeks...and have been since the begining of my pregnancy. I do use a vegan nailpolish with no formaldihyde, tolulene and whatever else is bad in polish.

User Tag List