Ever heard of having a Big Sister shower for the sibling instead of a baby shower? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm brainstorming ways to get an older sister,6, involved and excited about a possible new sibling. Do you think it's a neat idea to have a "Big Sister Shower' instead of a baby shower. Like, a lot of the presents could be given to her, as in, here's some stuff for you to use in being a big sister (swing to put her in, boppy to hold him on, etc.). And for an activity the guest could help do fabric paint on matching big-little sib t-shirts. Any other ideas for a shower of this type? Ever been to one? Do you think the newborn baby would some day grow up to feel slighted by this--like my older sib got too much extra attention? I didn't have a shower at all with my first, so it seems fair that this upcoming shower should be partially hers...I know I'm obsessing about making the transition out of only child-dom smooth for my oldest, but it also just sounds fun...

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2007, 11:13 PM

i like the idea. i remember when my little brother was born they had a shower for him and i felt really left out
Old 02-24-2007, 11:58 PM

Fantastic idea! What a great way to involve siblings in the big transition a baby brings. As adults do we really care who unwraps a baby swing? But as a 6 year old big sister-to-be it really is a big deal to be included this way.

I was planning on having a stash of presents for my big sister-to-be so I could pull one out every time baby got something.

As for the baby feeling slighted someday...I don't even know if my mom had a shower when she had me. I don't really care either way. I always think of a baby shower as for the new mom more than for the baby (even though you usually give baby stuff).

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think your idea is absolutely BRILLIANT.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:10 AM

we did something similar. friends offered to throw me a shower, and in the end we decided to have a "party to celebrate the fact that we're having a new baby". and everyone who came talked a lot to my daughter about how she was going to be a big sister and how this was her party to celebrate becoming a big sister.

it was not *my* shower by a long shot. it was a family party and whole families were the invitees. there were a ton of kids my daughter's age, and we didn't sit down or do traditional "shower" things. just hung out and ate, and socialized, etc.

i also didn't have a shower for my first.

as for gifts, we asked for hand-me-downs and things to borrow, but i did have my daughter open them all. at first she was like "hey, these aren't for me...." but then she didn't really care, as long as she was getting to open them. we did get a stokke high chair which she's taken as her own (and i didn't correct her and tell her it wasn't for her - we've got a long while before the baby needs a high chair anyway!) and a few people brought small things specifically for her.

FWIW, my daughter's nearly 4.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:21 AM

It sounds like a good concept, but it sounds like you're talking about essentially holding a shower for yourself, which I think is very wrong. I'm not much of a stickler for etiquette, but that one is an absolute for me. If someone else is giving the shower and you're just contributing ideas, that would be different.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it would be my mom and best friend putting it on, but they'd love to do it however I wanted. Thanks for the ideas and support everyone!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:58 AM

It would be nice to throw in an occasional gift for the big sib's own use. I imagine opening gifts only for the new baby would be like opening 15 packages of socks on Christmas Day. I remember going to a family Easter thing w/ my aunt and uncle and cousins at their other g-parents' house. I searched for the Easter basket for my younger cousin because she was only a few months old. I found it the same time my older cousin found HER basket and felt so hurt because I recieved NOTHING and was instead used to find someone's gifts who wasn't even old enough to use them.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:27 AM

I don't know if you dd is into dolls at all, but I'm planning on giving my dd (she'll be almost 2 when ds is born) a Waldorf type doll. I will probably get a few outfits and such so that she can take care of her doll along with me. If you decided to do this, you could include her in a shower by getting her doll a few outfits, a blanket, maybe a sling...Just an idea. I think it's nice that you want to get her really involved and excited about the baby with a party of some sort.

-chelsea dust.gif
Old 02-26-2007, 04:35 PM

awsome idea

Wish my son was old enugh for a party for him to celbrate the baby

she could decorate a shirt for her -- and a plain one-ie for the baby -- as wearing home outfits -- great for teh photos esp with you tell people SHE made them.......

also a gift or two focuseing on how she is bigger / older / can do more things ?? Like a craft of some sort "for big sister and mommay alone time" or a journal? (even a 6 yo can color in a journal) anythign to make it sepecak to be thebig one, not the baby....

or somethign so it is her as a big sister, but still HER .. KWIM?

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 02-26-2007, 05:11 PM

We're having a big sister shower for my daughter next week. She's invited three friends from school who are already big sisters. We're just going to have lunch and cake, decorate onsies, have a diaper race, and if I get really motivated I'm going to come up with discussion topics-- best thing about being a big sister, worst thing, etc. My daughter is 10, though, and is really into girl talk.

Trish: Mama to Buckaroo , Sweet P :, and Obo Difficult wife of Rick :
Old 02-26-2007, 05:20 PM

another idea

if you have Grandma or Aunts there or whoever -- have them tell her about when she was a baby vs now --- what i remember, what i see now.....

this will reinfornfoce the older / big sister thing....while also bringin in how little and helpless the baby will be.....

if you give her a doll she could decorate a one-ie for it to wear hom from the hosptial too (or have her do two "for the baby" and then if you gie her a new doll at the hosptial or BC when she comes to see you -- it can have a one-ie too............................................

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

User Tag List