Anybody eating seaweed everyday? - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kkar

#1 of 20 Old 02-27-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having a terrible problem with varicosities during this pregnancy. I've gotten lots of advice from teas to vitamins that should help - but today I was given a bit of advice I've never heard about. I was told to eat seaweed every day. Being desperate, I can't see any reason not to try it, but before I do, I have a few questions.

Is anybody else doing this? Do you eat the sheets of seaweed, or are there capsules you can take? How much do you eat?

Just curious. Thanks in advance!
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-27-2007, 04:28 PM

I personally haven't eaten seaweed and I'm not a sushi fan so I can't help you much there. But if you want an easier way to do things, I am taking Kelp caps and they do wonders!! Much easier to swollow too! :0)
Good luck to you!
#3 of 20 Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else?

#4 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 12:03 AM

I get seaweed salads from our Krogers (in the sushi section) and from our local Japanese restaurant. I don't know if you've ever had it before, but it's sort of stringy/slimy in texture with a fishy taste - not in a bad way though. I absolutely LOVE it - both places make it with a sesame dressing that isn't spicy but has a nice kick to it. Definitely worth a try. Before I was pg, I was buying 4 or 5 a week because I was always craving them.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#5 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 11:06 AM

I haven't eaten much seaweed at all during my pregnancy, but my family is Korean and it's one of those well-known "facts" that seaweed is good for pregnant and nursing moms. My mom is flying in in a week and she's probably going to make me eat seaweed soup every day for a month. (thank goodness I like it!)
#6 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Oh oh oh! I LOVE Korean seaweed! I think it's called laver? It's toasted with sesame oil and dusted with salt. Make some white rice and pinch it between the sheets of green goodness! It's SOOO good!

Oh man, where am I gonna find laver in Knoxville!?!?
#7 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Yum Yum Yum!

Laver
#8 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 11:58 AM

Hmm that's interesting! I've craved seaweed like crazy all pg, my only food craving besides soda. I've been chowing down as much as I can get.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#9 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 03:16 PM

There is seaweed in my prenatals so I have been getting it that way.

But in the past when I have cooked with it I have put in stir fries and in soup.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#10 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 PM

i love seaweed but i worry that if it is harvest in waters with heavy metals it can absorb them and be high in mercury and things so i have not been eating as much as normal. before getting pregnant i had seaweed soup almost every day for lunch though.
i think the sea weed i buy is not from polluted water and is safe to eat maybe i should stop worrying and go back to my favorite soup. does anyone have goo recipes>

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#11 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 04:48 PM

I eat seaweed everyday! I get it raw/dried at my COOP It is delicous snack I buy usually Nori, and seapalm, you can also get the lil nori snack packets that are flavored with teryiaki but they are not as nutrious as raw, The brand I use most often (cause I lived their and know the folks who harvest it) IS Mendocino Sea Vegtable-link them up at www.seaweed.net, they have a ton of yummy recipies on their packaging! Seaweed is the worlds greatest food it is so healing a nourishing in minerals and vitamins also naturally salty which helps kill that craving!
Blessed health for us all!
#12 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 05:13 PM

Does anyone have good recipes? I like seaweeds, but i don't have ideas of how i can eat it except when i eat sushi.

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#13 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I eat seaweed salad weekly. It's delicious and nutritious!
#14 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Like PP, there is seaweed (among other sea veggies) in my whole food vitamins, lucky for me because I don't love seaweed!

Did you say it is good for varicose veins (same thing as varicosities?)? I ask because my mom has terrible, I mean really bad varicose veins that she said started when she was pregnant. Her legs are literally much more red/blue than they are 'white'. So I have been watching--nothing yet!!
#15 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
Did you say it is good for varicose veins (same thing as varicosities?)? I ask because my mom has terrible, I mean really bad varicose veins that she said started when she was pregnant. Her legs are literally much more red/blue than they are 'white'. So I have been watching--nothing yet!!
Well, that's the context it came up under...but again, I've never heard of it before which is why I'm now looking for more info. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't have varicose veins with my first pregnancy and much of my second....and then *poof* one day they just popped out at about 30 weeks! This time around, I'm determined to keep them under control. I'm taking 400 IU of vit E, drinking lots of extra water and raspberry/oatstraw/nettle tea infusion, and eating lots of fresh veggies and fruit (esp. blueberries). I'm also wearing my compression gear, and keeping my feet up in the evenings. I'm only half way, and they've already showed up with a vengeance, so I'm hoping that I can keep them from getting any worse!
#16 of 20 Old 02-28-2007, 11:50 PM

Well, the big difference between my mom and I is that I do now and have for years been active (exercising several days/week for at least an hour). I also get A LOT better nutrition than she did. I think this will keep a lot of the aging that has affected her so negatively from getting me (at least as early). We'll see.
#17 of 20 Old 03-01-2007, 10:42 AM

Half of my family eats seaweed daily (they're Korean). I myself only eat it occasionally. I eat it in sheets. You drag the sheets back and forth over a burner on the stove for a bit, and then salt to taste. Eat with rice and kimchee. A little fish is good with it too.
#18 of 20 Old 06-21-2017, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would suggest knowing more in-depth facts about Seaweed. Consumption of seaweed as a salad can be quite nutritious and seems beneficial. Must give it a try.
#19 of 20 Old 09-16-2017, 04:29 AM

Completely agree with the above suggestion.
#20 of 20 Old 09-16-2017, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've asked one of family member with the same problem and she said it didn't work for her!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page