would you fly with an unvaccinated 2 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
..........or would you get a few vaccines JUST to fly?

or would you just skip the whole thing?

i am SO TORN. my oldest and dearest friend is getting married, and i am IN the wedding. the babe will be (depending on when he pops out)...7 to 11 weeks old.

my doc (who is totally open about us NOT vaxing) said if i get on a plane, its like a giant petri dish ... and doing it with an un-vaxe'd babe is a bad idea.

so
1. i could get the vax's and go.
2. i could skip the vax's, go anyway and take the risks
3. i could cancel the whole trip
4. i could pump a bunch of milk, leave the baby with DH and go for 2 days. (but is that too young for bottle feeding and would that dry up my milk?)

i am leaning toward "not going" because what a huge stress on a little infant. right?

but my friend might never forgive me. (well, i know she would, but she would be so sad )

any advice?!

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#2 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 07:58 PM

I don't suppose you can drive?

Forget the vax/nonvax issue. I vax my kids and I still wouldn't fly with a 2mo old unless it was a dire emergency. Now, the wedding of an old dear friend might just constitute such an emergency, but I'd have to think about it really, really hard. Even if you got vaxed, there's a gazillion viruses floating around airports and airplanes that your baby won't be vaxed for. It seems kind of high-risk to me.

If you do go, I'd say just keep the baby in a sling close to your body as much as possible, don't let other people touch her or even get near enough to breathe on her under any circumstances, and if you have a layover spend as much time outside the airport as possible. Good luck! I did fly with a 3mo when my stepdad walked out on my mom and I was 2000 miles away, but I was very nervous about it and really don't want to do it ever again.
#3 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM

I would skip the vaxes and go.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#4 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:04 PM

: Why would you vax? What would you be worried about catching that the vaxes might help with? Only thing I can think of is pertussis and one dose is almost no good at all.

I wouldn't vax. I'd go. I'd not give the topic another thought....

-Angela
#5 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM

yeah, i'd go. the vax-thing wouln't have even come up in my mind to be honest! keep the babe in a sling as much as possible, and don't stress too much

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#6 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:15 PM

If it were possible to drive, personally that's what I would do.
#7 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 PM

What do you think you could vax against when your babe is only 2 months old? Even for mainstream parents who do vax, the babies get series of shots. At 2 month, 4 months 6 months and 9 months. It take a series of four shots for a vaccine to be considered effective. Some it only takes three.

Your Doc sounds like a wolf in sheep's clothing to me. Does not sound at all like their are supportive of you choosing not to vax, if they are essentially trying to trick you into getting useless shots.
#8 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
: Why would you vax? What would you be worried about catching that the vaxes might help with? Only thing I can think of is pertussis and one dose is almost no good at all.

-Angela
:
I have traveled several times with my children that are not vaccinated. My only concern would be the air quality on an airplane for a child that small but I wouldn't be worried about anything the vaxes are 'supposed' to be for but more your run of the mill cold, upper respritory infection, flu type thing.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#9 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 PM

I wouldn't vac and I would go.

We took our at the time 2 week old baby on a plane totally unvacced.

Nothing happend
#10 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Your Doc sounds like a wolf in sheep's clothing to me. Does not sound at all like their are supportive of you choosing not to vax, if they are essentially trying to trick you into getting useless shots.
:

I gotta say a dr. who freaks about flying unvaxed is not a non-vax friendly dr.

-Angela
#11 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
: Why would you vax?

-Angela
Exactly.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#12 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:47 PM

I took my ds to England when he was 8 weeks. Before he was born I even asked my mw whether she thought it would be okay (I had to book the flights and since I wasn't sure when he'd be born, he might have been even younger than he actually was when we flew).

She said over 6 weeks she wouldn't hesitate. He had had no vaxes, no problems on the flight in either direction, no major illnesses. Ds slept through take off and landing. Travel is easy at that age, imo!
#13 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 08:49 PM

The vax issue would not be a big one for me but he is right about how much yuck there is on a plane and I would be reluctant to fly with a brand new baby. The average 2 month old hardley has any vax anyways, so that is really not the central concern, but illness and the consequences of it are more real. That is based on my experiences (MIL came when ds was 7 weeks, she got sick on the plane, gave it to ds who was almost not able to breath and we were up all night for about 3 days and at the ped several times trying to help him - it was very scarey).

The pumping and going plan is totally out IMO as it could fail terribly. That is just too young to be without mom for anything short of a life and death situation IMO.

So, I would totally skip it OR go with baby and not care about vax issue if missing it was something I would regret for ever.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#14 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 09:10 PM

i would probably leave the baby with your dh for 2 days. you could pump alot way ahead of time and get your body used to making alot of extra milk and then bring your pump with you and pump regularly. i think if you're pumping while away then at the very worst your supply might temporarily dip a little from not nursing for 2 days, but if you get your supply way up before hand then you should be fine. alot of mamas are not comfortable leaving such a young baby, but i think it's ok if you're leaving the baby with your dh. after all, he is the other parent. and it'll be good for him.
#15 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie81 View Post
i think if you're pumping while away then at the very worst your supply might temporarily dip a little from not nursing for 2 days, but if you get your supply way up before hand then you should be fine.
I don't think this is very good advice. I doubt that "at worst" her supply would dip. That seems more like a best case. Reality is, a babe who bottle feeds for two days away from it's mama when it's that young is in real danger of damaging the nursing relationship permanently. Mom could come home and not be able to get her nursling to latch.
#16 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 PM

I would go unvaxed.....we did with a one month old. Our dd came 8 weeks early and we already had ticekts to fly from toronto to Arizona to visit SIL. The trip went fabulously well. I kept dd on me in a sling, she slept and nursed the whole way there and back. Absolutely no problem.
#17 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 11:08 PM

I think that's an ideal time to travel with a baby :

He'll probably do nothing but nurse and sleep throughout the flight. I didn't fly with my daughter until she was 7 months old and, even then, she slept through most of the flight. Soooo much nicer than flying with a 2-year-old! :

While exposure to lots of germs is of some concern, at least you'll be traveling during the summer rather than during cold/flu season.
#18 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 PM

been there, done that. i was more concerned with sobbing freakouts than anything else, frankly.
#19 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 11:10 PM

TBH I never thought about vaxing her before flying. We went on her first trip when she was 2 months. DD flies all the time, as do I, without being vaxed.
#20 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 11:15 PM

I didn't go to my bestfriend's wedding. I knew that it would be rather traumatic and expensive for everyone for me to get there. It would be really hard and she would be so busy I'd hardly see her. I just went to visit later and actually got to visit and spend time with her. It did make me sad. I'm sorry I'm not in her wedding pics, but I didn't see an alternative. What would the baby be doing while you are in the wedding? And how invovled with all the wedding activities could you be?
#21 of 66 Old 02-27-2007, 11:20 PM

I agree that it would be the best time to go DS was still spending a ton of time in the sling at that point, and it was awesome - he'd nurse, sleep, whatever, he was happy. I wouldn't have even thought about vaxing b/c of flying.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#22 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I travel with my unvaxed (other than one series which I regret) ds all the time. Airplanes and all. I think with a 2mo as long as you are breastfeeding I would go.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#23 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM

i have flown with both my kids before they had any vaxes (we selectively vax and delay until ~9m). in fact, i flew w/my youngest when he was six weeks.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#24 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 AM

Under no condition would I consider leaving a baby that young.

-Angela
#25 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 01:21 AM

Another vote for...
skip the vax and enjoy your trip.

Grace Comes.

#26 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 01:36 AM

And yet another vote for skip the vaxing (makes no sense to do so) and go - if you *really* feel you need to be there.

Having said that, I wouldn't go. But that's just me. Any of my good friends would COMPLETELY understand that - I'm sure your's will, too, if you choose to not go.

Also - another vote here for it being an absolutely AWFUL idea to pump and be away from babe that long. Bad, bad idea. Either take the baby or don't go at all.

Good luck either way!
#27 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 02:59 AM

My daughter's not vaxed at all and we've flown four times with her. The first time she was four months and it was a breeze. She just slept the whole time. WAY nicer than when she was 13 months and was awake and wanting to run around the whole time...

I'd go and not worry about the vaccines. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to worry about that. Especially if you're nursing you have nothing to worry about. Anything your dc gets will be fought by antibodies in your milk whether you get sick or not.

If you're not breastfeeding then I wouldn't go - especially after vaccinating. Overwhelm the immune system with vaccines and then again with flying... doesn't sound like a good idea to me - ffing or not. If you're breastfeeding then go ahead and go if you really want to and don't worry about it!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#28 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 09:32 AM

i flew with an unvaxed three mo old... i was nervous about the germs and all but in retrospect...i think he was probably the best set for flying then (as i exclusively bf)... it was when he was crawling and walking age that we was touching EVERYTHING and getting exposed more.

i'd fly. just bathe them when you get where you are going and you could load yourself up with immune booster (vit and echinacea) that your babe will get in the breastmilk.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#29 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Under no condition would I consider leaving a baby that young.

-Angela
:
#30 of 66 Old 02-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Your doctor is giving the correct advice for ff babies. If you are breastfeeding you don't need to worry. Baby is benefitting from your immune system.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page