Placenta tearing from uterus Questions!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-02-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Moms,

I've been poking around quite a bit, but can't find an old thread about bleeding during pregnancy. Can anyone help with some experienced insights?
I'm 14w preg with third pregnancy (miscarried naturally in September). I had a big bleed yesterday (soaked a pad in an hour) and when straight to the ER. I'd just gotten home from a routine visit with OB. They gave me an extensive ultrasound (the baby is fine so far!!) and found a little bleeding coming from a tear between the placenta and the uterus. The placenta does not present low except during a contraction.

My fabulous MD (she's had 3 home births herself) said to be on "vaginal rest" but did not indicate that I needed bed rest or any other remedy. I'm still spotting bright red today but really only seeing it in the toilet and when I wipe. I've been resting and laying around much of the day. I was also having quite a few uterine contractions (no cramps or pain) last night and earlier today.

Any advice? Bed rest? Anyone continued bleeding throughout with happy results?

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 03-02-2007, 07:41 PM

I had a placenta seperation at 5 weeks that caused some spotting/bleeding and cramping. I had another incident of spotting at 22 weeks.

I think if you are still spotting- you should put yourself on basic bedrest for a week- while things heal. My midwife says that the cramping afterwards is good because that's how your body stops the bleeding. She recommended taking up to 2000 mg of Vitamin E daily for healing, and drinking catnip tea to relax the uterus. They also had me take extra calcium and magnesium to keep my uterus relaxed. The OB I was seeing at 5 weeks said that you can have up to a 90% seperation and still have a healthy baby- so a small tear is no reason to panic.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#3 of 4 Old 03-02-2007, 09:18 PM

Aaaaw that must have been pretty scary- glad that you and baby are alright!
I had a friend have something similar, and she went back over and over to her OB because she wouldn't believe it was all ok, but it was.

I was told that taking Arnica helps to heal, maybe look into that?

Also drink lots of water to keep your cells at their best and ensure you have a healthy diet.

I would rest a lot so as not to exacerbate the bleeding, but sounds like you'll be ok!

Take care!

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#4 of 4 Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 PM

The condition is called a Sub Chorionic bleed or hemmorage. I had that at 4 weeks and again at 10 weeks. Really scared me cause it was rather large and I bleed heavily for a week both times. But here I am 40+1 weeks pg. I did rest as much as possible till the bleeding stopped. I upped my vit E intake and calcium. And was on pelivic rest for 3 weeks.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page