Pushing--What's it like? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 02-24-2002, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have time to read all of the posts so forgive me if I repeat what others have said. This is my experience. When It came time to push it was awhole different thing than the labor before. The contractions really spaced out. I definately had no choice but to push. The contractions came and my body took over. forgive me if it sounds crude but it is like having a very intense bowel movement. ya know if you don't push your body will just push for you. I pushed for a very very long time, I had a big baby 9.8lbs with a huge head!!!! so I was very tired at the end and really needed the support of my partner I think I really wrenched his back pulling on him for strength to push, but it was the better part of labor for me. Hope this anserws your questions and goodluck!

Happily married : to my wonderful DH and mama to my sweet 's 4/00 and 10/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 02-24-2002, 12:57 AM

Ummmm...okay. With ds it was a long, slow affair. He had his hand up on his head and got "caught" up in there for a bit, so I think that made it a little more painfull than it needed to be. I pushed for 2.5 hours with him...almost had an assisted birth! The way I described labor and pushing to a friend right after he was born was "like lightning...very hot feeling". In retrospect I said it felt like the sort of abdominal cramping you get with diarreah. With ds it was all so fast...I was in labor for about 5 hours or less...threw up and pushed her out 15 minutes later! Her labor never got worse that feeling of bad menstral cramps or gas. I had no classes as my midwife assured me I would be able to do it when the time came. I agree with the "rolling ocean" anaology. I found it helped to scream...But I am a vocal person no matter what! My doula w/dd really helped a lot by telling me to make "low growling noises"....it wastes less energy. Pushing really is a huge relief...you know the end is near and your body just takes over! For me crowning hurt the most...that felt like someone lit my bottom on fire! But it lasts only for a moment and then that baby comes sliding out!!! Good luck and speedy delivery!

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#33 of 34 Old 02-24-2002, 08:25 PM

serenetabbie, thanks for reminding me that crowning only lasts a 'minute' .

with ds1 the midwife said to 'push down into your bottom', DON'T! I'm sure that gave me piles, with ds2 I was able to focus on my diaphragm amd push down through the muscles as if they were a brick wall and that way I really felt like I got on top of the baby and helped him out, 3 almighty pushes later. There is something rather odd about straining to such a degree I agree and really hope that things will be even better this third time. Good luck ít's still the most wonderful thing there is.MM

I'd just like to add a lovely thing my best friend, mother of 3 said to me when I was pregnant with my first, that 'if it was that bad women wouldn't do it twice'.
#34 of 34 Old 02-28-2002, 02:46 AM

Check out "Isabellas waterbirth story" in the Homebirth forum,
It is a long, but wonderful birth story and has excellent detail of all the pushing potential...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page