Horrible itchy dry skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone had this? I am 32 wks and didn't have anything like this with DD...but of course DS is giving me a "run for my money." I have had horrible itchies across the top portions my belly, breasts, and arms for the last few days. I have put my Eucerin Calming creme on, even used the Cetaphil on my skin w/o washing it off...and I'm still dying! DH is afraid I am going ot break skin if I keep itching but it's just killing me...

Any suggestions??

HELP!!!
:

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 12:51 PM

I have read that that kind of dry itchy skin can be a rash called PUPPS. I think that's the right name. I have never experienced it- but maybe you could google it and see if that might be what's bothering you. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
Old 03-08-2007, 01:06 PM

I'm using Vaselene's new Cocoa Butter lotion and it works great. And I don't use soap on my skin in the shower, I only wash my hair. My skin is staying pretty hydrated.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 PM

i've been pretty itchy for the past few days on my belly & breasts and i think it's because i'm out of my regular body moisturizer.

otherwise, i've been in good shape----i'm using Aveeno's sensitive skin moisturizing body wash, then while i'm still damp from the shower, i slather Aveeno all over. personally, i've found their stuff to be the most moisturizing & long-lasting and i don't have any problems with itching when i use both consistently.

good luck!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 PM

Don't want to alarm you, but...If it's just dry skin, that's one thing, but if it's very itchy skin it can be a very serious complication of pregnancy that can result in stillbirth.

Doctor's apparently don't always diagnose it properly. Sorry I can't remember the name of the condition, but do a google on itchy skin in pregnancy and I'm sure you'll find something. I think some of the signs are itchy palms etc. not just dry skin - abnormal itching. It can be very serious and fatal.

Hoping it's just dry skin for you, but just want to make sure you aren't overlooking something serious.

Kathy.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (ICP) is what the pp is refering to. Look at www.itchymoms.com for more info. I had it in a previous pregnancy (baby was just fine), so PM me if you have questions for me, since I don't often see new posts here.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 PM

I had the same thing when i was around 30 weeks too. Super dry itchy skin, it got me really worried, but someone suggested using Aveeno Oatmeal bath soak and their products, body wash and body lotion and it has worked like a charm. No more itchies...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:42 AM

yep, been there! I took a bath w/ apricot oil w/vitamin E, lavender essential oil and then lotioned up after! it's awful to be preggo. and itch like mad!

best of luck!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:14 PM

i've been having super itchy palms, and a few small dry icky patches on my knuckles, but no where else. i constantly apply aveeno but it doesn't help. after reading that website i am so worried! i have kaiser and i hate to even bring up the whole issue with them. this is my 3rd child and i've never had any issues like this before. i feel like if they're given any reason to induce/c-sect they will but of course i'm worried about this now!!!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimfaith View Post
i've been having super itchy palms, and a few small dry icky patches on my knuckles, but no where else. i constantly apply aveeno but it doesn't help. after reading that website i am so worried! i have kaiser and i hate to even bring up the whole issue with them. this is my 3rd child and i've never had any issues like this before. i feel like if they're given any reason to induce/c-sect they will but of course i'm worried about this now!!!!!
In my research of my itching I did see that itching palms can be a bad thing, so I would suggest that while Kaiser can be quite a pain...but you may want to look into it...Best of luck, keep you in my thoughts!!!

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif

User Tag List