safe intestinal cleanse for pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family has had so much illness in the past month. I have largly avoided getting sick myself but am feeling very run down. I have had a lot of gas, belching and pain in my large intestine the past few days. Is there any thing I can do safely to clean things out?
TIA

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 01:04 PM

You know I struggle with this too. My dh is on the master cleanse right now and it kinda grosses me out that I haven't been able to really clean myself out for the past few years and won't be able to for another few. I am just going to trust that my body is going to take care of itself.

I eat a lot of apples/nuts and lemonwater as a modified cleanser.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Well, i have a cookbook (Feeding the Whole Family) that has a spring beet soup recipe that is supposed to be cleansing.

Would you like me to type it up for you?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post
Well, i have a cookbook (Feeding the Whole Family) that has a spring beet soup recipe that is supposed to be cleansing.

Would you like me to type it up for you?
i have just been lurking here. but i would love the recipe

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 PM

Could you boost your gut with probiotics?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Okay, hope I´m allowed to do this!

Taken from "Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children and Their Parents" by Cynthia Lair.

"Nina's Famous Spring Beet Soup

she calls it a cleansing soup for the body bursting with nutrients and flavor, the fresher the beets the better

Heat 1tsp. E.V.O.O. in a soup pot. Add 1 medium onion sliced in thing crescents, 1 clove minced garlic, and 1/8 tsp. salt; saute until soft. Add 3-4 cups water, 1 bunch spring beets cut into large matchsticks (save the greens), 1 carrot cut into large matchsticks, 1/4 head shredded green cabbage. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 10-15 minutes until veggies are tender. Meanwhile, wash beet greens, remove tough stems and cut into short, thin strips. Add beet greens, 2 TBL fresh lemon juice, and 1TBL tamari or shoyu to soup: simmer another 3-5 minutes. Serve at once garnished with fresh dill.

(For babies 10 months and older, remove some beet and carrot pieces from the soup and puree or serve whole as finger foods. go easy on the beets for babies --only a tsp. or less at a time) as they have a strong cleansing effect on the bowels."

I have not tried this particular soup, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this cookbook. Almost every recipe I've tried is a winner, and only two duds so far. Her Luscious Beet Salad recipe is a huge hit with whomever I make it for. I might try this one soon myself!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 PM

I think cleansing when pregnant and even nursing is generally a bad idea because of the toxins released.

You could do a gentle natural cleanse with lots of water, probiotics and only whole, raw, organic foods.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 03-09-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
I think cleansing when pregnant and even nursing is generally a bad idea because of the toxins released.

You could do a gentle natural cleanse with lots of water, probiotics and only whole, raw, organic foods.

Keri

That is what I have understood too, but was hoping to find something gentle enough to be alright.
My diet is already 100% organic, and whole, and about 70% raw. (including loads of apples) I drink about 96 oz water daily.
I have been using up some older probiotic caps so maybe they're just not potent any more. I also have not had any rawmilk in the past 2 months (dairy seems really gross at the moment) So maybe I should make a fruit and milk smoothie, and squeeze lemmons in my water.
Thanks for your thoughts ladies, my fuzzy prego brain needed a kick start.

TwilightI love beets so I am printing out the recipe and will try it some time. Could you PM me the beet salad recipe:

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetboysmom View Post
TwilightI love beets so I am printing out the recipe and will try it some time. Could you PM me the beet salad recipe:
I promise to do just that when I get a chance. It is so yummy!!!

User Tag List