how do you buy a nursing bra before birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 38 weeks thought it was time to get a nursing bra but should I buy in the size I am now without milk coming in or how do I do this?
ugh won't let me edit title! sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 09:19 AM

All the advice I have gotten says to wait until after. My MW will be providing me with a supportive zip front sports bra. In my experience shopping around, nursing bras are a little pricey sometimes so I'd rather wait till I know my exact size.

This is my first so other ladies probably have better first hand experience.
#3 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 09:27 AM

I edited the title for ya!

I believe this page should help you figure out what size to order:

http://www.bravadodesigns.com/content.asp?ID=3

BTW;These bras are fantastic. They will make nursing much easier and more comfortable.
#4 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 AM

I used Bravado bras with dd, and LOVED them- they let you select a cup size range the way they are made, so you can actually buy before birth, and they still fit after the milk comes in. However, I also bought a couple other brand bras before the birth, and even though I bought ones with room in the cups, they didn't fit very well when I was full of milk at first. However, over time your boobs gradually go back to normal (for most of us at least), mine did around 1 year, but since I nursed 3, I got to wear the bras that had been small at first afterall.

I'm mostly just reusing my Bravado ones this time.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#5 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 11:20 AM

I liked this one for the beginning
http://www.motherhoodnursing.com/Pro...tegory_Id=2008

it just comes in small medium and large and is comfy. Then I was able to go out and buy some more.

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
#6 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 01:24 PM

I was going to recommend Bravado too. So comfortable - even when my milk had just come in and I was very engorged.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#7 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 01:55 PM

I had bougt 3 before ds was born and ended up only liking the fit of one. The other 2 I sold. Then I went and tried a bunch on and bought some and looked for sales in various places-ebay,yahoo, here etc. It's a small pain having to go out after the baby's born but worth it knowing the bra you have on is comfy. I went with dh one time and an aunt another so they could hold ds while I tried on. I did have 3 sleep/sport bras as well before ds and just wore them that first week or so until I got a few others. I like the padded soft cup even though I was a wire gal all the way, but the wire was so irritating with the constant boob change due to engorgement. So on the wire ones I liked I took the wire out. This time I'm a bit smaller and need new bras anyhow from last time. If you get any, get some that aren't really a size, but more of s,m,l so they adjust to you until you know your size. I went from a d at 8m to a very full d almost e and I would never have bought a d before the baby and would have been stuck with all these bras the wrong size if I couldn't sell them.
#8 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

I read alot of good info on kmoms plussize preg site about bras. I am not a real big woman but a size 12/14 normally and very big breasted. the bras I have seen in motherhood and target and such look like they would never be able to handle what I got! kmoms site seems to really reccommend the godess bra. But the web site didn't say anything about how to know your size!
I guess I will just hang out braless for a few weeks? until I feel ready for a trip out in the world to try stuff on? or should I guess at one bra now?
keep your advice coming and thanks all who responded!
#9 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynde View Post
I read alot of good info on kmoms plussize preg site about bras. I am not a real big woman but a size 12/14 normally and very big breasted. the bras I have seen in motherhood and target and such look like they would never be able to handle what I got! kmoms site seems to really reccommend the godess bra. But the web site didn't say anything about how to know your size!
I guess I will just hang out braless for a few weeks? until I feel ready for a trip out in the world to try stuff on? or should I guess at one bra now?
My breast size didn't change much after birth. I was never super engorged with milk. I was wearing bravado's G/H before and after.
#10 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynde View Post
I would make sure to have at least one bra on hand because when your milk comes in you will need the support (I ended up with an emergency c-section and my milk came in when I was still in the hospital). I think the best way to go would be to get a stretchy one-bra-fits-a-couple-of-cup-sizes type to have right at the beginning. Like I posted earlier I ended up with Bravado bras (that I love). When I was 8 months pg I was a B cup and I bought the Bravado bra that fits a C-D cup. It fit perfectly (until I'd been nursing for over a year and my bbs went back to a B cup). Also, if I were you I'd start with at least one bra that has no underwire, just so you're more comfy in the early, engorged bb nursing days. Hope that helps.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#11 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 12:27 AM

I agree with the pp- I would not plan to go braless! Right after your milk comes in, about 3 days after birth, your boobs tend to be really stupid and squirt milk at random, so you need the bra to hold the nursing pads in place. Try to find something stretchy and buy a size bigger in the cup than you wear now, the sleep/sport style ones are good for those first few days, not tons of support for bigger breasts, but some, and will hold those milk pads.

#12 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 AM

Another thought- you can also post in the breastfeeding forum for advice and mention your current bra size, someone there might be able to make another suggestion.

#13 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!
#14 of 14 Old 03-13-2007, 02:22 PM

i totally agree with the ppers...the only bra i bought before birth was the bravado original nurser. they all still fit well...i do reccomend, though, to get the scoop neck one, not the crossover. if you are large chested already ( nd you really do'nt know how big you are going to get after birth) you could have some falling out issues i fyou get to big anyway, that's myhumble opinion. after the babe is born, then get measured and get a few more bras...i love the lifestyle mmicrofiber and the supreme nurser fro bravado designs as well. they do'nt have as much give to accomodate growth, but have more support and better shape for once your supply is established.

here's the website too ...www.bravadodesigns.com

ps...they have tanks too !! they are really cute , sturdy, and full access ( not like the glamour mom tank, that you have to try to fit though a tiny nursing hole.,,)

good luck )
peekaboom

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page